Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Small maintanence solar charger mounting?

I built a new battery tray that will hold my two group 30 batteries (first welding project!). The batteries are large and heavy. I do not want to remove them, keep them charged at home then install them back in the trailer. I built a battery disconnect into the circuit so I wouldn't have to mess with them at the end of a trip.

The long term plan is to mount a full solar panel array on the roof to maintate and charge the batteries. Until I do that, I purchased a small "maintainer" solar panel. It is not meant to charge the batteries but rather maintain an already charged one. The question is where/how to mount it. I know that I shouldn't have to keep them on the maintainer but over the last few years I managed to kill two batteries (total my fault for bad maintance).

The trailer is stored parked pointing west. I don't want to mount it on the roof because that will be a huge hassle that I don't want to tackle until I am ready to mount the full panels. The only other way to mount it, that I can think of is to attach it to the top of the gas bottles (just in front of the battery). That means I will only get half a day of light, which is fine. The problem is that I am worried about the panel being stollen.

Any input is welcome on how I might secure it better or if you think I am being paranoid.

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, solar