Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
B47

Small Portable Generators

The February, 2013 issue of Popular Mechanics has an article regarding electrical generators that can be installed in homes in case of an electrical power supply interruption. A sub feature in the article speaks about small portable generators that supply up to 2000 watts and test results of 4 different makes/models - the Briggs & Stratton P2000, the Generac iX2000, the Yamaha EF2000iS and the Honda EU2000i.

I do not use a portable generator, so I do not know if these models are similar to those used by RV owners that need them.

I found the tests to be informational and would certainly use the information if I was to purchase one.

Note: there is a 11-07-12 sticky posted here regarding a recall notice for the Honda EU2000. The sticky says the recall notice is for the Honda EU2000, but the actual recall is for the Honda EU2000i, which is the model tested in the PM article.

I thought this information might be helpful to those who might be considering purchasing a small portable generator for use in their RV.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

You definitely want to get one of the inverter generators. They are far quieter than the older type and use much less gas. With an inexpensive parallel kit, you can hook two together in order to run your A/C.

The 2000W Honda and Yamaha are the "gold standard" generators for RV use. However, Champion, Boliy, Kipor, Generac, and several other manufacturers have models with virtually identical specs that can often be found at 1/2 the price of the big two.

Champion in an American company and parts and service are readily available. I am less certain for some of the others.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did popular mechanics have a web link to these comparisons?
I'd like to review there findings and comment.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Did popular mechanics have a web link to these comparisons?
I'd like to review there findings and comment.

Turbs
I have since given the magazine to my neighbor and I don't think there was a link. But PM is online and perhaps you can get it there.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

Small Generators What Size?

How do you determine what size/capacity small generator is right for you? I have a Rockwood A122 and would consider buying one for use in National Parks to charge battery. Could be useful to run heat pump, fridge and micro.
Mhodson54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #6

mhodson54 - I have a 2000 watt Champion generator for my A Frame. It runs the heat pump, fan, fridge and microwave nicely. It does not support the A/C - the initial draw blows it everytime. I am ok with it tho, as the cool cat fan kept temps inside cool & comfortable on 100 degree days & with the roof fan on low, it also helps to draw out the heat. The generator is extremely quiet and at 43 lbs or so, easily portable. When I run it on econo mode it lasts a good 8 hrs or so. I have considered a larger 2400 or 2800 Yamaha or Honda but as long as my Champion satisfies our camping needs, I will hold off the brand name purchase. (DH says he'd rather buy a second Champion and bring as needed). Since we are outside for most of the day anyway, having a fan instead of the A/C is just fine for me. My friends usually find me on my recliner under the awning after a day in the sun. LOL

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhodson54 View Post
How do you determine what size/capacity small generator is right for you?
by what you want to run on it. if you want to run the a/c, then the btu's will dictate how powerful a generator you'll need.
if you want to be able to run everything but the a/c, then a 2000w one will do that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhodson54 View Post
How do you determine what size/capacity small generator is right for you? I have a Rockwood A122 and would consider buying one for use in National Parks to charge battery. Could be useful to run heat pump, fridge and micro.
this may help you some as well

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

B47; you said that the article listed generators that could be "Installed in Homes". I hope the articale went on to say NEVER RUN A GENERATOR INSIDE YOUR HOME, OR CLOSED GARAGE!!! Those of use that use them all the time understand this, but every year you hear of people running them inside and then being sickened and even dieing from the fumes.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
B47; you said that the article listed generators that could be "Installed in Homes". I hope the articale went on to say NEVER RUN A GENERATOR INSIDE YOUR HOME, OR CLOSED GARAGE!!! Those of use that use them all the time understand this, but every year you hear of people running them inside and then being sickened and even dieing from the fumes.
I don't have the article here anymore, but I am sure it contained all the necessary warnings. The sub article just compared the 4 poerable generators.

Good catch.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

I don't have the article here anymore, but I am sure it contained all the necessary warnings. The sub article just compared the 4 poerable generators.

Good catch.
I couldn't find it on there webpage either.

Although I had a few cold ones I tried to find it to post link.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I couldn't find it on there webpage either.

Although I had a few cold ones I tried to find it to post link.
I think you have to be an email subscriber to access the article on line.

Try Popular Mechanics.com or something similar or just pick up a paper copy when you go to the store.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #13

So I pose this question if I can get two Champion 2000w inverter Generators plus the umbilical for about half what two Honda's would cost me, is there a good reason not to?
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Site Team

the Champions don't have as much power as the Honda 2000 but they'll work fine.
don't see much reason other than long term reliability. Honda's rep is well-established while Champion inverter 2000w has only been around a couple of years. Champion does have a great rep for customer service and their 3500 open-framed one does have a good rep for reliability.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #15

Thanks for the info on the Popular Mechanics Magazine info that can be read on line which I did and plan on ordering the Yamaha EF2000is, like the idea of knowing the fuel level.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
Thanks for the info on the Popular Mechanics Magazine info that can be read on line which I did and plan on ordering the Yamaha EF2000is, like the idea of knowing the fuel level.
You are welcome - the folks at PM really do a great job of testing things. I read the mag each month.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #17

I have been thinking about getting one of these Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

or two of these with the parallel cable
Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Denver, CO

I bought a Honda 2000 in 2000 to power marching band equipment for my son's band. I have done NOTHING to it except change oil and spark plug maybe 4 times in the 12 years. I use it very occasionally, sometimes just starting it to run it for a few minutes when it has been sitting. Never takes more than one of two pulls and runs great.

Pretty good record and I'd buy one again. Won't run the roof AC on my VCross but does run a small 9K window until I use in my boat and slide in camper.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

I have a 4000 watt Onan that goes into a trailer hitch at the rear of the 5er. I love it but I think I'm going to sell it and get two 2000 watt Hondas. It'll be easier on me to haul the Hondas around by hand. Nothing wrong with the Onan other than getting it out of my yard and then back into the shed.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote