Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

Why is there smoke coming out of my dash? couldn't be that fuse swap! Changing from a 7.5 to 15 wont hurt!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalbk View Post
A lesson learned the hard way. Plugged a higher voltage appliance into my 750 watt inverter plugged into my dash 12volt receptacle. It didn't trip the inverter's circuit breaker but pulled enough amps through to blow the fuse for the 12volt receptacle. Checked all the fuse panels couldn't determine which fuse was blown. FR documentation actually was incorrect. Finally found out from repair shop that there is an in-line fuse on the dash 12volt receptacle, only 7.5 amp. Switched to 15 amp now. Cost $$ me to have the shop technician to diagnose.
If there was a 7.5 amp fuse for the 12V receptacle, then they most likely used wire capable of carrying 7.5 amps. With a 15 amp fuse, your vehicle wiring now becomes the fuse. An unsafe condition.

Simple rule of thumb. Multiply the 120V AC Current listed on the device by 10 to approximate the inverter 12V current draw from your battery. So an appliance drawing 5 amps from shore power will pull 50 amps from battery when running on an inverter.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #23
Georgia Gets Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If there was a 7.5 amp fuse for the 12V receptacle, then they most likely used wire capable of carrying 7.5 amps. With a 15 amp fuse, your vehicle wiring now becomes the fuse. An unsafe condition.

Simple rule of thumb. Multiply the 120V AC Current listed on the device by 10 to approximate the inverter 12V current draw from your battery. So an appliance drawing 5 amps from shore power will pull 50 amps from battery when running on an inverter.
Asked them about the gage of wire which their technician checked and wire was sufficient. Not planning on using higher voltage appliance again!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #24

Efficiency of Inverters

Most inverters will get close to 90% efficiency when they are close to their rated output. Running a big inverter all the time to charge small electronics is wasting battery power. Most small electronics run off 12 volt, so the most efficient way to run them is with a cigarette lighter plug from your battery.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I would not waste my money on a modified sine wave inverter. I actually destroyed a laptop by using a MSW inverter. I've also found that you may experience noise when using MSW inverter on TVs and DVD players.

You can get a decent pure sine wave inverter at a reasonable price. I'm partial to the Samlex brand because I"m on my 3rd PSW inverter with them and they all ran great in my last 2 campers. My only regret with purchase is selling the modified Samlex inverter with each of my previous campers. I modified them so fan is connected to a thermocouple switch which means my fans never come on unless I'm running the microwave or a hair dryer.

With less than 1 amp draw on standby, I've decided against using a smaller inverter for low power uses in my camper. If you have an older inverter that draws a lot of power on standby, then a smaller PSW inverter is a good option.
Didn't have one in my 5er so installed a 1000 watt full sign wave unit with a remote. I use it for my cell phone, camera batteries, tv, lap op and vhs player. I shut it off when not needed which is most of the time. If boondocking I might use it for 3 to 4 hours in the evening. I love the remote feature!

I found a 1000 watt does everything I want. I don't need to run microwave or ac so don't need a 5000 watt and don't need 4 batteries.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #26

Remote feature is what I have and would never use an inverter without one. We found that a 1500 watt was a good compromise. 1500 watts was enough to run the microwave and that was a nice feature to use for popping popcorn on movie nights.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Remote feature is what I have and would never use an inverter without one. We found that a 1500 watt was a good compromise. 1500 watts was enough to run the microwave and that was a nice feature to use for popping popcorn on movie nights.
Everyone needs to figure their load. I could actually charge everything off my truck if need be. I really only need it for my TV's and vcr when relaxing at a road side rest. Even though my stereo get the weather channels I like the weather on tv much better. I could have switched the tv to a 12 volt one, have 12 volt power socket there, but like the one I have. It has a 12 volt cord I could use if I wanted too come to think of it.

Come to think of it I really don't need the inverter.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #28

I didn't need an inverter until my DW decided she wanted to use her travel sized hair dryer one morning. Nothing worse than running outside 50 feet in the early morning cold air (usually high 30's in Colorado at 10+K feet ASL where we camp) to fire up the genny for her.

Praying she'll let me buy another Boliy but this time with a remote control start feature!

I looked into 12V TV's and DVD players. The ones I found were $$$$$$$
Old 12-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #29

I put a 1kw MSW inverter in my 2011 Georgetown when we bought it. It was installed to power the fridge AC heating element and later had another outlet added to power a resistive gutter heater strip and a small (resistance heater) crock pot. Resistive loads do not care if they are fed pure sine wave or modified sine wave power. This worked well until I needed 110AC under the dining table for an AC only continuous clean litter box with two AC motors in it.

The litter box ended up being powered by a small cigarette lighter inverter (MSW) that was wired into the lighting circuit for the dining and couch lights. The lights had been replaced with LEDs so there was plenty of power available for the inverter. I also limited the inverter to 60W output by putting a 5A circuit breaker in the DC wiring to it. The power line is fused at 15A so I'm not worried about blowing the fuse. The litter box was tested on MSW AC before the installation was done in the RV and no problems were found running it that way.

The small inverter at the dining table has also been used to run a soldering iron and a Brother electronic sewing machine. Both work without problems.

If you have a TV that uses a wall wart power supply, there's a good chance that it'll run directly on DC. Check the power supply to see what its output voltage is. If it's DC, at any voltage, you can get a DC-DC voltage regulator that will take 12V from your batteries and produce the voltage the TV needs. These devices generally cost less than $50 and it you're wiling to work with an assembled circuit board, are frequently available for less than $30.

Phil
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #30
RV Vagabond Jerry

Quote:
I didn't need an inverter until my DW decided she wanted to use her travel sized hair dryer one morning. Nothing worse than running outside 50 feet in the early morning cold air (usually high 30's in Colorado at 10+K feet ASL where we camp) to fire up the genny for her. Praying she'll let me buy another Boliy but this time with a remote control start feature!

I looked into 12V TV's and DVD players. The ones I found were $$$$$$$
Axess makes 12 volt TV's with built-in DVD players, from 13" to 32" for $117 to $225. I think it's a necessity when boondocking to save battery power. http://www.amazon.com/Axess-24-Inch-...rds=12+volt+tv

Tags
electric, inverter