Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Smart Plug Conversion

Has anyone converted their electric inlet and plug end to the Smart Plug?
Wondering as I have a conversion set coming in tomorrow via Amazon. Did a bit of research and seems like a real good set up. Claims it does away with melting/arcing at the twist on/locking ring type plug, better contacts and better water intrusion prevention.
Recently on a trip, experienced arcing at the plug connection with the usual locking ring type connection, partially started to melt the cord end connector and inside of the inlet. Went over everything as far as electric/wireing/connections in our rig and could find nothing that would have caused it other than bad connection between plug and inlet. This is second time in 6 years same thing has happened.
Hoping the new Smart Plug will end problem.
Will be installing it during the week and will let all know if it holds up to claims.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #2

Why do you have the circuit breaker on while you make your connections. Check the pedestal, turn it off and make all your connections then turn on the pedestal circuit breaker again.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

I always do. SOP. Never have plugged into an outlet thats "live". Breaker off, plug in, turn breaker on. Do that even at home at my dedicated 30 amp outlet.
Also have a hard wired PI that never tripped or had a code. Apparently current was still good even though plug ends arced.
May have been a problem with the pedestal but I'm switching connections anyway.
Grumpy

Old 10-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Let us know your thoughts once you install it.
I've been looking at these plugs for some time on the 'net as I've been curious but haven't seen any in person. It will be good to have someone's opinion who installs one.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Let us know your thoughts once you install it.
I've been looking at these plugs for some time on the 'net as I've been curious but haven't seen any in person. It will be good to have someone's opinion who installs one.
Will do!!!
Grumpy

Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Always Learning

I converted to a SmartPlug a couple of months back (August if memory serves me). While installing it, I made an installation video (don't worry everyone- I was being babysat by a knowledgeable buddy).

I think all of these photos are in the video, but if anyone doesn't want to watch it - here are a handful of pictures I took for making the video and writing about the installation:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57672820057158

I'm happy with it, though the cordset that it came with is about 4' shorter than the one that came with my RV. Double that with my mid-ship power inlet on the camper (vs. rear corner), I've now had 3 or 4 occasions of needing a 50amp extension cord in the past few months.

I like the connector and I like the weather cap for it for when I'm coiling up the hose. The connection is solid and really feels secure... especially when you snap the cover and lock it onto the cord. I only wish it had a default 90-degree connector to change how the weight hangs from the power inlet (not that I've had issues, I just think that would have made it a tad bit better).

On a scale of idiot to pro for installation, this one is firmly on the side of "Doug Could Do It with Minimal Supervision" (read: close to idiot-level). A few screws and following color coding.

I kept my old inlet and old cord for a while, just in case. But I don't see me needing to convert back and recently gave away the shore power inlet.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.
I just ordered the conversion kit so I can use my old cord. Did order the Stainless Steel version as I did read about a few problems with the plastic type cover not holding up well.
Install won't be a problem for me. Have already replaced the plug inle twice with the ring type inlet and new plug end.
Agree about a 90 degree plug end...wish they made one. But after reading many reviews about the Smart Plug figured I would give it a try.
Grumpy

Old 02-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #8

Thumbs down 32 amps???

BECAUSE it's winter and I'm sitting looking at the computer WAY TOO MUCH, I was looking at the SmartPlugs after they were plugged on RVtravel.com. I see that they have 30, 32, and 50 amp versions on their RV product page. I understand 30 and 50. Why would someone want the 32 amp version? Is there really any difference between the 30 and 32 versions? Inquiring minds need to know.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #9
Always Learning

I think the 32amp version has to do with boating. I don’t know if it’s 120v or 220v or what.

BUT- one unexpected downside to the SmartPlug conversion; TODAY I forgot my cord at the last campground 200 miles away. I can’t just run to an RV store and pickup a replacement. (Fortunately, I have a friend coming down this way tomorrow to bring it to me- otherwise, I thought I was headed for a 400 mile round trip!)

I also used to have a 50amp twist lock to 15amp adapter. It was nice when moochdocking because I didn’t have to get the heavy 50amp cable out. I might make a similar adapter (with a baby sitter!).
Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
ysidive

Smart Plug

Converted to the Smart Plug over a year ago and it was the best thing I could have done. No more twisting and making sure that it is connected tightly... No more guessing which prong goes where. Plug only goes in one way and locks when inserted fully... Easy conversion and the best part is you can do it in the dark without wondering if it is correct..Originally designed for Boats because of the rocking motion causing the old style plug to twist...making a poor connection and causing a hazard...anyone who is thinking about the change should check the Smartplug.com site...Check Ebay for better pricing than Amazon.. or check some of the Boat accessory distributors..
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #11

As an electrician of 45 years I feel that the Smart Plug is just a gimmick or Bling if you will. If you plug in a smart plug with the power on it too will arc. If the Smart Plug people really wanted to do something they would have put a 90 degree configuration on the plug in.

With a twist lock the trick is to plug in with NO power on and Twist the plug to the right. Never plug any cord in with the power on unless you know the load is OFF. Also turn the locking ring to the right until it stopped. They too miss the boat by not having a 90 degree configuration But at least if you smart enough to put the locking ring in place it stays put very well.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #12
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
As an electrician of 45 years I feel that the Smart Plug is just a gimmick or Bling if you will. If you plug in a smart plug with the power on it too will arc. If the Smart Plug people really wanted to do something they would have put a 90 degree configuration on the plug in.

With a twist lock the trick is to plug in with NO power on and Twist the plug to the right. Never plug any cord in with the power on unless you know the load is OFF. Also turn the locking ring to the right until it stopped. They too miss the boat by not having a 90 degree configuration But at least if you smart enough to put the locking ring in place it stays put very well.
I totally agree with the Plug in with power off, but the PIA of the twist lock the smart plug is a positive lock when plugging in...I also agree that the arcing is with any plug if the power is on..I don't think it is a gimmick or Bling.. It is a way to help people that are not as savvy and also convenience of not having to mess with a twist lock then a locking ring... It is like having an option on your car, convenience and ease make life much easier for many
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #13

If as Cavie states that it is just a gimmick then I fell for it. I also love it. With my old twist lock the threads were plastic and would not stay tight and got some discoloration on one of the receptacles due to heat. This has cured that. Also with an EMS there should not be any current going through the plug due to the time delay circuit in the EMS if you have one.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

We were at the Pittsburgh R/V show a week ago and many of the new units had 90° twist locks at the sidewall. Should have taken some photos. Seemed six out of ten had them so more common in newer models.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #15

I guess I’m doing something right, I never had issues with the standard twist lock system.
My issue is the 50 amp cord is a pain to put away and heavy.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Home brew, I agree. That 50 amp cord is a pain sometimes. I found a 50 amp to 20 amp adapter. I use one or two 50’ 12ga extension cords when I know I will not be using air conditioning or electric heat.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #17

right, one of the first things I did to our Palazzo was to reroute the 'outside' twistlock plug to be hardwired to the interior of the coach itself, which happens to be in the DEF tank bay, which is open on the bottom. My external connector box is now filled with expanding foam, and the cover closes so that it looks like it always has - it's just no longer used.
(the original routing had the rear of the twistlock connection going down thru a chase that is below our bedroom bedside cabinet, under the chassis, and up into the DEF bay, where it enters the coach to the electrical ATS switch within the end of the bed platform.)

Since the power cord is stored by wrapping it around the def tank during travel, when I park I simply only remove the length needed to get me to the power pedestal - either thru the open bay door, or out the bottom of the open bay.

This is similar to many larger coaches with shore cords that roll up on a carrier within the storage bay, just a manual approach.

No more hauling out or carrying a very heavy shore cord.

Anyone can do this, if you are electrically inclined. If you don't have a storage bay with no bottom, you can drill a 10" deck hole and install a deck plate cover which is large enough to bring the male end of the shore cord in and out, while storing the cord in the bay.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #18

Since installing the Smart Plug back in October we have taken 2 trips before putting the rig up for winter.
No problem with the plug/connection. Install was simple, and the rv input and cord plug end are much more robust than the average stuff.
As for possibly forgetting the cord at a campground, I ordered a separate plug end and converted a spare cord I always carry in the rig.
Yes, wish they made a 90 degree plug end, but the supplied plug with its reinforced wire input is very "sturdy" and dosen't strain the plug at all.
Plug end snaps in and out in a second, but very secure when inserted.
Rig is sitting on side of our home, plugged in 24/7.
Personally, I like the cord/conversion, to me worth the $$$.
Grumpy

Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Home brew, I agree. That 50 amp cord is a pain sometimes. I found a 50 amp to 20 amp adapter. I use one or two 50’ 12ga extension cords when I know I will not be using air conditioning or electric heat.

I have this set up for my trailer car port to keep the batteries charged and frigid running when not camping.
But it might be a good idea to start bringing 12 ga cord on trips in the spring and fall.
I should double check the load with lights, heater and DWs hair dryer and curling iron.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We were at the Pittsburgh R/V show a week ago and many of the new units had 90° twist locks at the sidewall. Should have taken some photos. Seemed six out of ten had them so more common in newer models.

90 degree adapters are available

I purchased one for my shore power cord so I could keep the cord close to the side of my trailer and eliminate the lever effect of the cord extending straight out.

Also makes it easy to get lined up to insert in "socket". A slight turn to the left, insert, and then rotate so cord hangs straight down.

When it comes to hooking up shore power, it's one of the easiest things in setup. I'll save my money for something that makes other tasks easier--- like tank emptying, hitching/unhitching, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote