Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Smart Plug Conversion

Has anyone converted their electric inlet and plug end to the Smart Plug?
Wondering as I have a conversion set coming in tomorrow via Amazon. Did a bit of research and seems like a real good set up. Claims it does away with melting/arcing at the twist on/locking ring type plug, better contacts and better water intrusion prevention.
Recently on a trip, experienced arcing at the plug connection with the usual locking ring type connection, partially started to melt the cord end connector and inside of the inlet. Went over everything as far as electric/wireing/connections in our rig and could find nothing that would have caused it other than bad connection between plug and inlet. This is second time in 6 years same thing has happened.
Hoping the new Smart Plug will end problem.
Will be installing it during the week and will let all know if it holds up to claims.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Why do you have the circuit breaker on while you make your connections. Check the pedestal, turn it off and make all your connections then turn on the pedestal circuit breaker again.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

I always do. SOP. Never have plugged into an outlet thats "live". Breaker off, plug in, turn breaker on. Do that even at home at my dedicated 30 amp outlet.
Also have a hard wired PI that never tripped or had a code. Apparently current was still good even though plug ends arced.
May have been a problem with the pedestal but I'm switching connections anyway.
Grumpy

Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Pickin' & Campin'

Let us know your thoughts once you install it.
I've been looking at these plugs for some time on the 'net as I've been curious but haven't seen any in person. It will be good to have someone's opinion who installs one.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Let us know your thoughts once you install it.
I've been looking at these plugs for some time on the 'net as I've been curious but haven't seen any in person. It will be good to have someone's opinion who installs one.
Will do!!!
Grumpy

Old 10-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I converted to a SmartPlug a couple of months back (August if memory serves me). While installing it, I made an installation video (don't worry everyone- I was being babysat by a knowledgeable buddy).

I think all of these photos are in the video, but if anyone doesn't want to watch it - here are a handful of pictures I took for making the video and writing about the installation:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57672820057158

I'm happy with it, though the cordset that it came with is about 4' shorter than the one that came with my RV. Double that with my mid-ship power inlet on the camper (vs. rear corner), I've now had 3 or 4 occasions of needing a 50amp extension cord in the past few months.

I like the connector and I like the weather cap for it for when I'm coiling up the hose. The connection is solid and really feels secure... especially when you snap the cover and lock it onto the cord. I only wish it had a default 90-degree connector to change how the weight hangs from the power inlet (not that I've had issues, I just think that would have made it a tad bit better).

On a scale of idiot to pro for installation, this one is firmly on the side of "Doug Could Do It with Minimal Supervision" (read: close to idiot-level). A few screws and following color coding.

I kept my old inlet and old cord for a while, just in case. But I don't see me needing to convert back and recently gave away the shore power inlet.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.
I just ordered the conversion kit so I can use my old cord. Did order the Stainless Steel version as I did read about a few problems with the plastic type cover not holding up well.
Install won't be a problem for me. Have already replaced the plug inle twice with the ring type inlet and new plug end.
Agree about a 90 degree plug end...wish they made one. But after reading many reviews about the Smart Plug figured I would give it a try.
Grumpy