Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

IIRC, our new 1976 Golden Nugget tt, didn't have a converter, but did have dual batteries which were charged by the tv. I added a battery charger that stayed plugged in and we just plugged an extension cord to a pedestal when available. Did it until 1981 when we bought our new 81 Holiday Rambler Alumilite 5th wheel. Don't remember if it had a converter or not.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #22

Silly question but did you check to see if the shore power was hooked up correctly?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #23

OK now I am going to be harsh

Unless your TT is of very little value or you get batteries for free, IT WOULD BE A STUPID FALSE ECONOMY TO NOT REPLACE THE CONVERTER. Your frig has a sensitive digital circuitry. Blow that and bye bye frig. Your batteries need a strong charger and at times your coach needs high current. When you stay on 24/7 the batts need de-sulfided and I have never seen a charger that does that Automatically. A good converter WILL. DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR. GET A NEW CONVERTER AND A GOOD ONE. THEN CHARGE AND LOAD TEST THE BATTS which probably need replacing if they have been 24/7 on the one-size-fits-all Factory converter for very long. so don't mess around just go buy the converter
Old 06-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #24

My initial thought was to do what I think you are attempting to do. Rewire the TT to run off of the batteries with no shore power and then use an external "car" battery charger to supply the 12 volts to keep the batteries charged.

I have a 3 stage external charger. It was about $100. I have never seen on e that was 4 stage. It seems to me that it would be better (less effort for one) to spend an extra $50 on the converter.

Unless, of course, you already own the external battery charger and can dedicate it to the TT.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #25

You need a new converter. It is critical that the converter drops back to the 13.2 volts when batteries are fully charged. If the converter stays at the higher 14.4 volt charge rate the batteries will boil dry and be destroyed. That is why you need a top grade converter that will supply the needed dc and properly manage the batteries.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #26

I think a little clarification from me would help matters. I stay on shore power 24/7. My wife and I full time in the trailer. I already had to replace the fridge over the winter due to a bad cooling unit. Fridge is now an AC powered Frigidaire. I rarely ever use the furnace in the winter unless it is in the negative 10 degree temps. A 1500W space heater(AC) does the job just fine. The primary consumption of DC in our TT is the lights. Even if I had LED's they still need DC without a complete rewire to AC and new fixtures which is big bucks and a LOT of work I don't need to tackle. That leaves the HW heater, RF booster, exhaust fans, and Air Conditioner needing DC power plus other things that skip my mind right now. My thought is to eliminate the converter and charge the battery either manually or with an automatic charger. Already have a good charger that could be dedicated to the TT battery and somewhat hard wired where all I have to do is urn it on when I see the battery is getting low. That's where I think the simple solution might be. Staying on top of the battery isn't really a problem in our situation.

I just got done breaking the seal on the "maintenance free" battery. It was about 3 pints low TOTAL. Each cell was somewhat depleted but the plates weren't showing that I could see. Filled it to about an inch from the top of he battery to what looked like it should normally be. Battery was made in Jul 2012 ad came with the TT. For the past 30 min I have nearly everything in the trailer that is DC turned on doing a solid test. I know I will have to replace the battery very soon and I will find out shortly (no pun intended) if the converter can still hold it's own.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead34 View Post
Silly question but did you check to see if the shore power was hooked up correctly?
Yeah shore power is hooked up correctly and is on a 30A surge protector.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #28

I see no reason why you can't use a charger in your situation. I would invest in LED lights though for the 12V ceiling units... they sip power from your battery instead of drink heartily like incandescents do.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I see no reason why you can't use a charger in your situation. I would invest in LED lights though for the 12V ceiling units... they sip power from your battery instead of drink heartily like incandescents do.
Already have some of them replaced but still have 14 bulbs to go. The LED's have been known to cause my wife to have migraines and other problems at times. Getting the warmth and lumens right have been a challenge. Getting there though. I hate these incandescents. I had to make Forest River replace all of the fixtures the first 6 months we had the TT. The switches were undersized and would melt.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #30

I agree with the suggestions / recommendations to upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics replacement for your converter / charger. A good move that you will not regret.

Tags
converter