Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
That's why it's anyone's guess how long pretty much any converter is going to last with 24/7 actual usage.
That's not entirely true. RV'rs love to talk about their rigs. There are tons of folks out there that full time on all sorts of equipment. Over the years you get to know about how long things last, what products are must haves or wastes. Which components are prone to failure at about what age and more than likely what is was that caused the failure.

Lookee there! You just got 2 almost identical quotes on expected life in your situation.

We didn't even look at each others papers.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I'd venture a guess that you'll not have an issue in 5 years as long as the battery is maintained properly.
And keep the dust bunnies from building up in your electronics... don't allow excessive heat or humidity to build up inside your rig... common sense stuffs that will help keep all of your electronics and such happier.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Can this be done:

Turn off or disconnect the battery charging function of the converter.
None that I've seen... I mean there isn't an on/off switch in there. You could open it, identify and remove the appropriate relays, but I wouldn't. Just disconnect and by pass the converter. Plug directly into the 12v lines the converter was using would be the easiest I would think.

I would make darn sure of what I was sending up those lines though. What is it you are trying to use?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's not entirely true.
Entirely is exactly my point. No matter what rig you're in they are not designed for full timing. Factory equipment, aftermarket equipment, weather conditions, sunlight, frequent/infrequent usage, etc. all play a role. These aren't houses in a specific location for decades with equipment designed for such.

Even Progressive Dynamics which is praised in this forum only guarantees their product for two years. They have no data to support it lasting longer with varying conditions. At least not enough to guarantee it. Will it? Maybe. Did the one I have fail in less than three years? Yes. Those are the only points of reference I have to go on right now.

Added factors include how much I use it and the toll it will take on the equipment. I take care of things but wear is wear. I'm asking my converter to do things it was never meant to do no matter which make/model I choose. That's why I always look at all the options.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Entirely is exactly my point. No matter what rig you're in they are not designed for full timing.
I know what you mean. My first rig was a class a and gave me the most grief far and above any rig I've owned since. However, I didn't know much then and was trying to make due with what came with it. I've learn over the years though and my "per-emptive" plans have improved with each one. The last two rigs were 5'rs... a 40' and then a 35' for 9 years and my newest is a 25' trailer. (I'm shrinking as I get older LOL).

By the time I hit this one though I already had most all of my pre-emptives on hand. I think the dealer thought I was crazy though I left the mattress, bathroom door, shower curtain rod, and kitchen table with them right on the spot. Went back later in the day in the truck to drop off the batteries and boxes, faucets and shower hose and head, mini noise maker fan, radio/DVD player, and all the light fixtures. I think he KNEW I was crazy by then.

It was extremely amusing to see their reactions, but it was just a matter of being practical. On the road full time I have no place to keep any of that kind of thing and I certainly wasn't going to pay for it once, and then pay again to take it to the dump.

Long story, but needless to say, the converter was one of the first things that got disconnected right after that. I won't say over how many years, but I finally learned my lesson... life is much sweeter dumping off all the dead weight at once and dropping in what you KNOW is going to work down the road. Knit picking at it all a little at a time as it fails is just not my speed anymore.

So I've been sans converter 13 years now.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #46

Yarome that is awesome. I'm a learner like you were. My grandpa always said "Why be the pioneer?". I always ask if someone else has done it first. If I ever do this TT thing all over again I have plenty of growing pains to remind me what is important and what to leave behind. The list gets longer every day.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #47

Four phase charger includes big zap, full charge, maintenance charge and then zap for about 15 mins every 24hr to knock off oxidation from sulpher building up on the plates.

Oh and while I am at it buy true deep cycle batts.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Entirely is exactly my point. No matter what rig you're in they are not designed for full timing. Factory equipment, aftermarket equipment, weather conditions, sunlight, frequent/infrequent usage, etc. all play a role. These aren't houses in a specific location for decades with equipment designed for such.

Even Progressive Dynamics which is praised in this forum only guarantees their product for two years. They have no data to support it lasting longer with varying conditions. At least not enough to guarantee it. Will it? Maybe. Did the one I have fail in less than three years? Yes. Those are the only points of reference I have to go on right now.

Added factors include how much I use it and the toll it will take on the equipment. I take care of things but wear is wear. I'm asking my converter to do things it was never meant to do no matter which make/model I choose. That's why I always look at all the options.
Well said jtrader, if the truth were know, there are probably more WFCO's out there than Progressives, regardless of what Turbs and others say. Just like the Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate goes around in circles and never ends.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #49

There are a lot more WFCOs because thats what most OEMs used. Aside from reverse polarity( a WFCO killer and PD fuse blower), or a shorted battery, transient spikes are probably the most damaging. These hammer the components greatly shortening their life. Its the one variable companies like PD cant change and no doubt limits them on their warranty period. get a good surge protector to save the type of components.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #50
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Alot more because there "cheap" which is why forest river buys them.
Except the class c units

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Count me in with another WFCO converter that has performed as intended over the last 7 years, with my trailer being plugged in most of the time.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Count me in with another WFCO converter that has performed as intended over the last 7 years, with my trailer being plugged in most of the time.
is that 6 friends of the World Friendship COmpany?...or did I lose count???
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Me too.

And my Chinese Goodyear Marathons went 6 years and over 25,000 miles without a problem. Guess I didn't keep them long enough for them to "bomb".
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #54

Quote:
Well I guess I would consider myself lucky. Why would someone put in a 3 stage converter when and if a persons current WFCO Failed? I think the point here is that you would be much better off buying a true 4 stage converter then a 3 stage. For $20.00 bucks more it a no brainer. Is a 4 stage convertor better YES, It all boils down to what you want to replace it with. Same with tires< I'm sure I could have replaced my Trail Express with the same, but decided to upgrade. I see no difference at all..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter