Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Smoking electrical

Hi All
I recently purchased a 2006 Lexington 255GTS - I'm new to RVing.

The first two nights were spent unplugged in parking lots. On the third night of camping, we plugged into 50amp shore power in northern Montana. Everything worked inside the coach as we setup for the night. The heater was running as it was about 15F degrees outside. Hot water and lights in the coach worked fine.

About 2 hours after plugging into shore power, we noticed a smell of burning wires. At about midnight the smell was growing stronger so I unplugged the shore power and inspected the coach batteries. I found no obvious source of the smell but it went away after unplugging the shore power. None of the breakers were tripped and the coach batteries are new and full of fluid.

I'm reluctant to plug in again until I know what the problem is.
Any suggestions on a diagnosis would be appreciated.

Jeff

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

You did right to unplug the cable. There is certaily an electrical problem that cause the wiring to overheat and will probably set the trailer on fire if left like that. It could be a loose connection on a electrical wire or a problem with your converter.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdonald View Post
Hi All
I recently purchased a 2006 Lexington 255GTS - I'm new to RVing.

The first two nights were spent unplugged in parking lots. On the third night of camping, we plugged into 50amp shore power in northern Montana. Everything worked inside the coach as we setup for the night. The heater was running as it was about 15F degrees outside. Hot water and lights in the coach worked fine.

About 2 hours after plugging into shore power, we noticed a smell of burning wires. At about midnight the smell was growing stronger so I unplugged the shore power and inspected the coach batteries. I found no obvious source of the smell but it went away after unplugging the shore power. None of the breakers were tripped and the coach batteries are new and full of fluid.

I'm reluctant to plug in again until I know what the problem is.
Any suggestions on a diagnosis would be appreciated.

Jeff

Pull your converter out and see if anyting "looks" burnt or looks like it got hot. Make sure the shore power cord is tightly secured to the lugs on the converter. Then, leaving the converter out, plug into shore power and keep an eye on the converter, especially the cooling fan. If the converter starts getting hot and the fan doesn't "kick in" and you "START" smelling the odor again, pull the plug and get the converter checked.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies...

Perhaps other 255 owners can confirm this....I assume the fan is located on the sidewall of the base of the bed. Therefore the converter must be under the bed as well???
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

I had a similar experience. I discovered all the outlets were wired through the GFI in the bathroom. The electrician didn't strip the wires back far enough and the poor connection caused a meltdown the first time I put a load on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

I've checked the converter, breakers and all accessible electrical in the coach and there are no melted or burned wires or components.

There is a label on the power cord access door which says '110-125V, 30A Service Only' (or something like that).

Since the coach was plugged into 50A service when the problem occurred, is it likely that by using 30A service, I would avoid this problem?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

No the higher current wouldn't make a difference because I doubt your load was over the 30A but the breaker may of tripped. You want to put a list together of what was running fridge, water heater etc and check each of them. The smell should still be present at your problem.