Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You'll be fine 15 minute install.
Heck, it takes me 15 minutes to collect tools typically!

btw, your forum signature is different than your app signature w/ the # of days camped.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hmmm I better straighten that out!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #23
Always Learning

Holy crap sickles, Tweetys is like $100 more than bestconverter.com.

PD 9280C 80 Amp RV Converter/Charger
(A prior page says this includes the $10 remote pendant.)

vs.

Intelli-Power 9200 Series 80 Amp RV Converter/ Charger from tweetys.com
plus the $10 remote pendant.

Now, shipping is frightful if I want anything quicker than ground.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #24
Always Learning

Welp, ordered from BestConverter.com hopefully $30 for shipping means it won't take too long. (sigh, you really get used to free 2-day Amazon prime shipping!).
Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #25

NOT GOOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
.. and a b!tch ain't one. I have had some intermittent 12v issues for a while. I think each one has been a clue to a bigger issue.

Today was the coup de grase- my WifiRanger (wired into the 12v system) sketched out on me twice. At the same time, my mobile hotspot spazzed our (plugged into a 12v car charger).

This evening, the lights in the camper dimmed a couple of times. While it was happening, my wife was in the kitchen and said that they heard popping noises and we started to smell hit electrical smell.

It all seemed to originate from the converter. I shut everything down right away and started moving the breaker/distribution panel so that I could see what was going on.

I have a WFCO WF-68100A converter. The LED status light was showing amber at first and then it turned to flashing amber. According to the owner's manual, that indicates that it was off (it was, I flipped the breaker) and that my battery is showing low voltage (which it shouldn't as I'm always connected to shore power and it should keep my battery minty and fresh).

I haven't done any more troubleshooting as my volt meter sucks. But, I do plan on following the notes in another thread.

I also assume I'm just going to buy a Progressive Dynamics converter and install that. My nads are feeling big these days and I might take a stab at the install (it helps that it plugs in and my father-in-law will be here on Tuesday).

Any thoughts or points of wisdom?
Let me satrt off with that people need to learn that any issue with one item on one side of the electric is going to effect all things hence your issue with ( wifi ranger, then the hotspot as they are both tired to the 12 volt system as well as one in the same while running.

Also you did the correct thing of turning all things off, but a HUGE misunderstand of of the power systems work in rv's means that the "power converter" has not much if anything to do with the power distribution box! as the converter takes 120 volts and makes 12 volts, and all that it is the power box are fuses and circuit breakers, so i hope this helps.

And lastly you are correct, and your first thing was the dimming of the lights yes your wfco converter has bite the big one (like most do) just get a progressive or itoa converter and please make sure you replace it with a full multi battery charger so it can properly charge the battery with extra power when needed and also go into float when needed (and all the other modes) and also different types of battery's (as lithium keeps getting more popular)
Power converters are very easy to exchange and not yo badly priced as things go today

Hope some of this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Let me satrt off with that people need to learn that any issue with one item on one side of the electric is going to effect all things hence your issue with ( wifi ranger, then the hotspot as they are both tired to the 12 volt system as well as one in the same while running.

Also you did the correct thing of turning all things off, but a HUGE misunderstand of of the power systems work in rv's means that the "power converter" has not much if anything to do with the power distribution box! as the converter takes 120 volts and makes 12 volts, and all that it is the power box are fuses and circuit breakers, so i hope this helps.

And lastly you are correct, and your first thing was the dimming of the lights yes your wfco converter has bite the big one (like most do) just get a progressive or itoa converter and please make sure you replace it with a full multi battery charger so it can properly charge the battery with extra power when needed and also go into float when needed (and all the other modes) and also different types of battery's (as lithium keeps getting more popular)

Power converters are very easy to exchange and not yo badly priced as things go today

Hope some of this helps and Happy camping

Thanks silverback. You confirmed everything I thought I knew (even if I didn't say it properly/outloud). It helps to read it to make sure I'm not misunderstanding.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #27
MCTroy

Ependydad, you can install the converter. DH and I managed to install one on our previous trailer. We took lots of pictures and made notes as we took the old one out, then used those to install the new one. We were so happy when we flipped the switch and there was light! For 2 non mechanically inclined people we were excited. So much so, we forget to finish putting the screws in. On the trip home, the new converter feel out of its base. It bounced around put was still working!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #28

I have to install my converter and I plan to take lots of pictures and then check the wiring three or four times before I hook up power. I plan on making sure batteries are fully charged and the negative cable is off the batteries. I don't trust myself around electric and batteries. I triple check myself

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #29
Always Learning

I swapped out the converter this morning. Overall, it was pretty easy- 12v positive and negative cables, a ground, and it plugged into the distribution panel. Pretty easy peasy.

The hardest part was the screws holding down the old 12v cables were put on by a gorilla and I got help from my father-in-law.

But, it's done. Maybe 20 minutes of work.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I told you a piece of cake!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #31

Dealer called me back today and told me that my converter is shot. They are ordering a replacement but he isn't sure if it will make it in time for our Yellowstone trip that starts 6/20...

I don't have my unit handy and this is the only pic I have of it but I was thinking of replacing it with the PD 9280 on my own if the warranty replacement doesn't come in time. But the reviews I'm reading say that the cord comes in a 20A plug. I don't think the back of my panel had a 20A outlet but instead a 15A.

Did you guys have to modify your panel in order to plug in the 9280 or was it a direct swap? Otherwise the 9270 has the 15A plug but will a 70A converter be enough?

The trailer is a Sabre 36QBOK (2015). I wish I had it back so that I could lay my hands on it and figure out what plug is on the back and what converter is installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	110441  
wentcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
Always Learning

My distribution panel had a 20amp plug and so did my converter.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My distribution panel had a 20amp plug and so did my converter.
Interesting ... Mine does not. ( 2016 )
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post

You don't have a 100 amp converter [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #35

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my plug was a 15A as well. Kenny do you know what amp converter is in your trailer? I don't think mine had a 100A, I think I would have taken note of that...

The PD series has a 70A that comes with a 15A plug which would save me the hassle of dealing with the 80A converter plug. It doesn't sound like the dealer is going to get it before we leave on our 20+ day trip out west. I can't believe Forest River can't ship a part inside of 3 weeks...

Oh well, I can get it via amazon prime and have it here in time to install myself, I just want to minimize the job time as I get home from work and we leave two days later...
wentcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

70 amp is about max for 15 amp

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentcamping View Post
I can't believe Forest River can't ship a part inside of 3 weeks...

I don't believe that. I'd be calling Sabre for the skinny.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #38

Snap, crackle, hot smell. I got 99 problems..

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my plug was a 15A as well. Kenny do you know what amp converter is in your trailer? I don't think mine had a 100A, I think I would have taken note of that...

The PD series has a 70A that comes with a 15A plug which would save me the hassle of dealing with the 80A converter plug. It doesn't sound like the dealer is going to get it before we leave on our 20+ day trip out west. I can't believe Forest River can't ship a part inside of 3 weeks...

Oh well, I can get it via amazon prime and have it here in time to install myself, I just want to minimize the job time as I get home from work and we leave two days later...
Here's mine.
It won't be in there too much longer.
After this weekend, I want to be able to run both ac on 30A.
So a magnum hybrid inverter will be in the works.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465697037.835317.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	110855

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Here's mine.
It won't be in there too much longer.
After this weekend, I want to be able to run both ac on 30A.
So a magnum hybrid inverter will be in the works.
Attachment 110855

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

55 amp ✌️

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Dealer called me back today and told me that my converter is shot. They are ordering a replacement but he isn't sure if it will make it in time for our Yellowstone trip that starts 6/20...

I don't have my unit handy and this is the only pic I have of it but I was thinking of replacing it with the PD 9280 on my own if the warranty replacement doesn't come in time. But the reviews I'm reading say that the cord comes in a 20A plug. I don't think the back of my panel had a 20A outlet but instead a 15A.

Did you guys have to modify your panel in order to plug in the 9280 or was it a direct swap? Otherwise the 9270 has the 15A plug but will a 70A converter be enough?

The trailer is a Sabre 36QBOK (2015). I wish I had it back so that I could lay my hands on it and figure out what plug is on the back and what converter is installed...
Wow. The wires are hanging by a thread.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote