Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Solar, 200 watt or 400 watt?

Ok, have decided to add a solar panel system just to supplement the batteries. I know what I am considering will nt fully charge my batteries in 1 or 2 days but figure they will help My question is which way should I go? This system:

http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-S...VEXFF9KP2VQMYF

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-P...s=solar+panels

and add two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Monocry...VEXFF9KP2VQMYF

The second method is 50 some bucks cheaper but am not sure why?

Your thoughts?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Your first option would be best if you want 400 watt and plan on mounting them to your roof. The second option does not include mounting brackets. The second option, you would also need to by additional cable wire and connectors for you to hook everything together.
kabachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabachy View Post
Your first option would be best if you want 400 watt and plan on mounting them to your roof. The second option does not include mounting brackets. The second option, you would also need to by additional cable wire and connectors for you to hook everything together.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to keep them portable, don't want to roof mount them. Would have to mount them almost flat on the roof so they would not be as efficient. Not only that but like to park in the shade to cut back on the AC use.

Jim
Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

Wow, you have room to store 4 100watt panels in the camper? I must over pack mine... Lol. In that case, you will definitely need extra cable to connect the panels together and also to connect to your batteries. Will still need to by connectors as well. For the second option.

The first choice should work for what you want to do. Once you add the wire and connectors in your second option, the price difference isn't that much.
kabachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

I installed 300w a few months ago and am considering adding another panel. Also I recommend buying directly from Renogy. They will price match any other advertised prices and actually gave me a better price. When you buy from them you can put together any arrangement you choose. I suggest you read into mppt controllers and the benefits. Renogy also sells the same cheap mppt controller you see with different labels. So far it has worked well for me.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Have you considered a Zamp Solar system? We have a 200 watt one to charge our 2 class 24 batteries at about 10 watts per hour, it's more money but oh so nice . Work's great.
sjbuzz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
I installed 300w a few months ago and am considering adding another panel. Also I recommend buying directly from Renogy. They will price match any other advertised prices and actually gave me a better price. When you buy from them you can put together any arrangement you choose. I suggest you read into mppt controllers and the benefits. Renogy also sells the same cheap mppt controller you see with different labels. So far it has worked well for me.
Sold by Renogy Solar and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Jim
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbuzz54 View Post
Have you considered a Zamp Solar system? We have a 200 watt one to charge our 2 class 24 batteries at about 10 watts per hour, it's more money but oh so nice . Work's great.
Zamp Solar 150watt system cost $836.01 compared to Renogy 400 watt system for $679.99. $156.02 more for 250 watts less. Something just doesn't seem right. Think I will stick with Renogy.

Jim
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #9

I have 450 watts on the roof of my TT. I have two 6 volt battery in series. Installed an 3000watt inverter in the TT that I plug what ever into.
I have never been at a loss for 12 volt power day or night. My charge controller is a blue sky energy 3000I
Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 3000i

I picked this controller because I can adjust the charge voltage and float volts as here in Colorado normal float volts will boil the water out of the batts fast. The controller also equalizes the batts once a month. I store next to my house. When I cover the TT I plug into 200 watts I have on my roof. Keeps my batts maintained 24/07 x 365 days.
Don't mean to ramble just want to input the controller is important as batts are big$$
For them hot days I have 2-2000 Honda's to run the ac.
tomfmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:53 AM   #10

I have this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-P...s=solar+panels

It is very adequate for us. We don't boondock totally green. (ie. We run the genset once in awhile for a/c, coffee, microwave, etc. But generally, this system does a fine job. It certainly meets it's specifications. (at noon ). If you mount remotely, you can of course, maximize the output. BE sure and use the correct size cable for your connecting runs. Depending upon the number of cells you choose you could have 10 to 20 amps of current flow at peak.
BTW, I THINK I ordered this exact kit and it DID come with roof mounts..
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #11

If you're building a system with multiple panels, make sure you get an MPPT charge controller with a maximum input voltage higher than n times the open circuit voltage of your panels where n is the number of panels you have. This will allow you to wire the panels in series, providing a higher input voltage at lower current than wiring them in parallel. This cuts down the size of the wire you need between the panels and from the panels to the charge controller because power losses in the wire are proportional to the square of the current - 1/4 the current = 1/16 the losses. MPPT controllers are designed to use a high input voltage and low output voltage to charge the batteries. They also will draw power from the solar array at the panel's maximum power production voltage which can increase the power output from the panels by 10% or more. MPPT chargers are always multi-stage chargers which do a better job of charging your batteries than the older PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) models. MPPT chargers are also available that internally record all kinds of information about the charging system. You can connect to the charger with a computer and read out all of the stored information.

Always carefully read the specs for a charger, and if possible reader comments before purchasing. One company sells "MPPT" chargers that aren't multi stage, don't run the solar panels at optimum voltage, and tend to fail within a few months.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar