Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Solar and battery disconnect

I have a solar panel on my Solera as well as a battery disconnect switch inside. If I disconnect the battery with the switch, will my panel continue to maintain a battery charge? I really can't test it because once I activate the battery disconnect I have no way that draw down the batteries.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

It depends on how it is wired in. Your profile shows you have a Solera 24r like me. Solar panels were added by owner or aftermarket by dealer or third party. Wiring is not std. Does your charge controller stay on or give a charge status when battery disconnect turned to off? Can you tell if solar charge controller wired directly to battery? When you say battery disconnect switch, are you referring to the std black rotary switch on the side of the stairs. That only disconnects some but not all of the house 12 volt (there is still power to the Bigfoot stabilizers as one example). Pictures would help if you can post.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Thinking more about your question. A quick way to check would be to measure the battery voltage with a volt meter. Measure volts with everything off. Don't run coach, generator or plug in for at least 1 hour prior. Check midday in sun and after dark. Battery voltage will be 12.8 v or less at night. If you are charging then daylight volts should be 13.4 to 14.5. Still best to follow wires and understand your system.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #4

Rich, thanks for reply. Yes, I had the solar installed when I bought the rv but am no longer in contact with the installer. The Go Power controller does stay on when I active the disconnect switch. When I tried it thus morning the digital readout jumped from 13.3 to 14.3 when the switch was activated. I have attached a photo of my battery connections. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160902_095013.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	119232  
Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

The fused line looks like it may be a direct wire from charge controller to batteries. If your controller display is on with disconnect "off" then you are probably charging. You can check voltages as above to confirm. Just remember batteries will show a higher "surface charge " voltage for an hour or 2 after charging or running the coach. I see you have fresh batteries, mine needed replacing this year as well.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Rich, thanks again for the advice. I managed to kill my batteries. Despite using a checklist I managed to leave my furnace on after an early spring trip. We don't have AC power at our storage lot. When I next used the Solara a month later I realized my batteries would not hold a charge while dry camping. I must have totally discharged the batteries too many times. Hence, my interest in the battery disconnect!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Your welcome, if you store your coach under roof then the charge controller will be a net battery drain, then pull the fuse in storage. If in sun then you will charge. My Coach is in covered storage here in Florida to keep the sun off it . Consequently, I turn my solar off but make sure to take it out or run generator for monthly.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, solar