Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Solar install on a 8289ws?

Has anyone installed solar panels on their Rockwood 8289? Looks like it would be easy enough to run the wires down the vent that is in the hall closet. The regulator could then be installed on the wall above the stairs and just beneath the fan control. I'm just not certain of mounting the panels on the roof. I was told that due to the laminated construction of the roof, the panels should be attached at the edges? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

I"m watching this thread, as I'm contemplating a solar install as well.

I had planned to run the wires all the way down to the basement and come out of the vent pipe above any water level. Put the controller on the basement storage wall, and then do a run to the batteries.

But, I like your idea of having the controller where it is handier to look at.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Keep your wire runs, especially the BIG gauge wire runs as short as possible! Solar is a GREAT way to go! I get a huge grin out of hauling my generator everywhere, but NEVER running it!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Yeah, I need to be able to easily see the regulator and that interior location, adjacent to the vent, seemed perfect. My concern is the roof mount. Took a factory tour a couple months ago and was told the panels need to be attached at the edges. Had two 75 watt panels and. 15 amp digital regulator in my old trailer. Loved it! In direct sun, it charged at 8+\- amps---almost as much as a battery charger.

Will also be looking at installing an inverter and hope to hard wire it to the TV's.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

Bumping this thread, as there has been no input on mounting the panels.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #6

I moved this thread into the Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar area where it's more likely to be seen. Maybe now you can get your answers.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Bumping this thread, as there has been no input on mounting the panels.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

RodeoGeorge
When I was at the factory tour. The roof is 3 ply. The only thing that I would think about is mounting and drilling through the roof. I would question laying the panels flat. At peak time which might be an hour you might get the 8 amps but it will fall off before and after. I had solar panels on a boat. My panels were able to track the sun angle. I had then installed by a marine engineering company in Calif it was a sail boat so I needed them for power to run the water maker and refer I traveled for 5 years. Also if you at a CG that has trees it will really subtract from that 8 amps. I would also worry about my warrenty on the roof, I think it's 10 years. When you read the warranty it also say's that you have to coat it every year to qualify. You can't do that with mounted panels and mounting holes. They have come along way with solar since 1998, but I still would look at all the data....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
Has anyone installed solar panels on their Rockwood 8289? Looks like it would be easy enough to run the wires down the vent that is in the hall closet. The regulator could then be installed on the wall above the stairs and just beneath the fan control. I'm just not certain of mounting the panels on the roof. I was told that due to the laminated construction of the roof, the panels should be attached at the edges? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If I knew what you mean by laminated I might be able to give a suggestion how to mount. A question for you, can you walk on your roof? If so, there is a way to mount the panels. I say that because if your roof will support a person walking on it, then it can support some solar panels. You might not be able to put huge panels or a lot of them on it. You may have to spread out the weight a bit using wide mounting feet.

edit...I found a pix of your laminated roof. it looks like a Styrofoam sandwich with plywood top and bottom. Talk about solid. I would mount to that using expansion bolts or toggle bolts. you can clear a little of the Styrofoam out under the hole with a screwdriver wiggled around and a vacuum to remove the pieces. then insert the toggle bolt.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

oh, here's the pix of the roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof-Cutawaylarge.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	39488
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #10

That picture is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Where were you able to find it? I installed solar on our old trailer using rubber expansion bolts and they worked great. However the plywood on that roof was much thicker and the bolts gripped well. I'm concerned about mounting bolts working loose on this roof. Just got a response from the warranty guy at the factory and he said that solar panels on the Rockwood and the Flagstaff models is prohibited and would void the roof warranty. I figured that and told them as much. I was just looking for information such as we are exchanging on this forum. One solar company,suggested using 3M VHB tape to mount the panels. This stuff is used to attach windows to high rise buildings! Very strong. Looking into this possibility now. Emailed the company that makes our Superflex roof membrane to see if this tape will adhere to their material. My panels on my old trailer were mounted flat and worked fine for us. When camping in the woods we always tried to locate so,we had some exposure to the sun.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #11

The tape may stick well to the rubber roof, but the roof is not adequately attached to the structure under it to hold those solar panels! Danger Will Robinson!!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #12

Good point! Beginning to look like mounting solar panels on this rig may not be a good idea. Has anyone actually done this yet on the Rockwood or Flagstaff models?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Danger Will Robinson!!

Ha! Just got it. You're dating yourself.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #14

I searched around your manufacturer's website until I found it.

Of course they'll tell you it voids the warranty as they have no idea what you are going to actually do. And I doubt the person you talked to was the structural engineer who designed that roof system.

Tags
solar