Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Solar interface question

I'm new to the forum.

I'm interested in adding a solar system to my setup and hope that some of you can help me with a few technical issues;

I have a Magnetek 7300 45amp converter/charger in my RV. It's fed AC by either shore power, or the Oran 4000 generator. The Magnetek has an AC panel with 6 breakers, and a DC panel with 9 fused circuits. It has a charging circuit to the batteries when being fed AC power.

I am trying to figure out how to interface the solar system with the Magnetek panel.

Would the Blue Sky Solar Boost 50 mppt charge controller replace the charging circuit from the Magnetek? If so, would that require a manual switch, or should I just disconnect the 12v output of the Magnetek?

For supplying AC to the Magnetek breaker box, would the 2000w pure sine wave inverter need to go through a manual switch to feed the AC panel, instead of being fed by the shore power?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Shasta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper
The inverter definately need to go through a transfer switch. You could go with either a manual or auto type. I would also have a switch to control what was charging the batteries, if you are on shore power no sense using the solar charger unless it is a green thing for you.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Thanks for your reply!

I'll start looking for the appropriate switches. I'm thinking manual switches will work best for us. We intend to as much boondocking and off-grid overnights as possible while exploring remote areas.

I thought I read in another post on this forum something to the effect that having two different battery chargers going at the same time wasn't harmful..... I do want to make sure I'm not supplying AC from two different sources simultaneously. I think I can remember that when using shore power, but might be a little challenging when needing to fire up the generator for microwave use every now and then.

If anyone has suggestions on the type of switching I should use, I'm all ears!

Thanks again, I'm really enjoying the information available on this forum.
Shasta1 is offline   Reply With Quote