Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

Solar Inverter / Converter Issues

I recently bought a 2016 Forest River Greywolf 26DBH. It has a robust solar set up where the inverter was wired/ connected to a 30amp plug on the side of my trailer. When I connect my trailer to this 30amp plug and turn on the inverter I can hear the converter and inverter buzz for a few seconds, then the inverter trips into protect mode.

This system used to work. I was able to have power to the outlets, microwave and TV. My solar package still charges and works fine.
The inverter works fine when I just plug a extension cord in and use it for the TV and coffee and such. The 30amp power works fine on the trailer when just plugging in at a site.

Can anyone offer a few initial troubleshooting actions? Is it something between the inverter and converter? Again, both seem to work fine on their own.
CO 26DBHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

I don't understand exactly how you have it set up and if your inverter has a transfer switch, but it looks like your inverter is powering the converter to charge the batteries.
The converter should not run in inverter mode.
Try turning the converter off in the control panel by flipping the breaker and see if that helps.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have a transfer switch. I have a four battery set up that runs into the inverter. Picture two heavy duty extension cords plugged into the inverter that come out and are both hard wired into a 30amp plug/outlet. I was told to plug my 30amp cable from that outlet into the trailer's 30amp plug. I will definitely try turning off the converter as suggested. I was given very little instructions when I purchased the rig. I will post back when I give this step a try. much appreciated again.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

How many Watt is your inverter and does it have a GFCI protected outlet.
The converter can draw (depending on make and model) up to 15 Amp AC to power the 12 Volt lights and systems like battery charger, water pump, lights and furnace fan that's why you don't want to have it on when in inverter mode and it would be counter productive to use battery power to charge the batteries.

Also, if the inverter has it's own GFCI outlet (most do) this can sometimes interfere with the GFCI circuit which is usually in the bathroom.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

Thanks again, It is a 2000W continuous / 4000W surge inverter. It has 3 outlets and none of them appear to be GFCI. Nothing on them indicates anything different.

2 other tid bits of info. 1, When I tried hooking this up last, the high gauge cabling coming in from the batteries into the inverter got pretty warm and the 200a fuse got real hot. It did not actually pop but there was some heat and you could smell it. 2, my 25 foot 30amp cable is just barely long enough to reach the 30amp power to the trailer and is very tight and pulls on the plugs a bit.. not sure this could cause a problem or not but I have ordered a longer cable already and new fuses.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

Solar Inverter / Converter Issues

Your Battery`s are probebly getting old and cannot supply an off amps to the inverter and the inverter protech circuit cut off.
One test you can do is use a VOM meeter and connect to the battery`s and check the voltage when you power all your thing`s on the inverter, if the voltage on the battery`s go below 11 Volts DC on your VOM, one or couple battery`s are defective.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Next time you connect, make sure all your loads are off especially the AC, the hot water heater(electric mode). and the converter.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Not sure if the person/place where you bought your TT mentioned it, but this configuration is very unusual. Running even 25A AC from this setup is going to draw over 250A DC from your batteries.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not sure if the person/place where you bought your TT mentioned it, but this configuration is very unusual. Running even 25A AC from this setup is going to draw over 250A DC from your batteries.
X2 AND this is not diagnosable from afar. You need someone familiar with inverters and converters to look at and explain this system to you. You are in very real danger of causing a fire and or burning out the components of the system.

There is no reason a 30 amp plug would be an output from the inverter,
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #10

I appreciate the replies to this post and the advice given. I have been shopping around town for someone who appears qualified to take a look at the set up. I wonder if using the inverter with the converter on has possibly damaged something.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO 26DBHer View Post
I wonder if using the inverter with the converter on has possibly damaged something.
It's only going to discharge your battery like crazy.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO 26DBHer View Post
I recently bought a 2016 Forest River Greywolf 26DBH. It has a robust solar set up where the inverter was wired/ connected to a 30amp plug on the side of my trailer. When I connect my trailer to this 30amp plug and turn on the inverter I can hear the converter and inverter buzz for a few seconds, then the inverter trips into protect mode.

This system used to work. I was able to have power to the outlets, microwave and TV. My solar package still charges and works fine.
The inverter works fine when I just plug a extension cord in and use it for the TV and coffee and such. The 30amp power works fine on the trailer when just plugging in at a site.

Can anyone offer a few initial troubleshooting actions? Is it something between the inverter and converter? Again, both seem to work fine on their own.
Easy answer as I built the same set up. When you plug the whole coach in to itself, ypu have to disconnect the on board converter charger. Otherwise you either overload the inverter or blow the main house 12volt breaker or fuse. In my first TH I simply Unplugged the converter. In my 2017 I have to turn off the circuit breaker for the converter.

Even if nothing overloads, the perpetual loop of trying to charge your rig, off your rig is a wasteful expense of power.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, inverter, solar