Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

alexisc...rather than installing two inverters, of late, many on this board have elected to use a bigger inverter (2000 watts) feeding two separate automatic transfer switches which feed two separate circuits. Generally that is the residential reefer and the outlets, bu tin your case it could be the outlets and the microwave. In this way you leverage a single inverter with all of its costs and still keep the outlets and microwave on separate circuits in your AC power panel. All you need is two transfer switches and they cost less than $50.00 each, both of them plug into the inverter GFCI outlet. 2000 watts should be fine, especially since a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 will supply 1800 watts continuously but 3,000 watts surge. They automatically protect themselves and reset if overloaded.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #12

Zamp is way overpriced and all you actually have a a plug and some undersized cable. Get some real 12 volt panels. There are lots out there and they are pretty much all the same. Regular panels are very competitively priced.

2015 335DS
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
MH Noob

Hi there - I have installed a full working solar system in my Sunseeker 3120 DS. I found that reasearch in the beggining saved me alot of money. I recomend starting here to undertand the ins and outs: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

When you are ready to move forward, I would be more than happy to make suggestions based on your power usage - I have priced everything from connectors, to cable to panels. I shop by quality and price, pretty happy with my build.

Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #14

[QUOTE=SeaDog;1448752]before you spend the money on solar or changing batteries you may want to try some different setups whole camping at you house you might find you have everything you need. I use a catalytic wave6 for heat when boon docking or durning generator hours at state parks and a percolator coffee pot (no electrical use).[/QUOTE

Yeah percolator. Always. The space header, remember if it is freezing out, your pipes and tanks may be set up to be protected by you furnace heat in those ducts that you lose with catalytic space heated that do not circulate warm air in all the right places.

Year around, we love our 200 watts of solar. Batteries always topped off even in constant overcast this weekend at the beach. When I get the pure sine wave inverter installed I may up the solar by 100-200 watts, but not sure yet. Mostly not sure where I can put two more batteries on the toyhauler.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

I think my point was missed. I don't care one way or the other about adding a bunch of equipment to a rig. What I was getting at was experiment a little in your driveway to figure out what you actually need not what others think you need myself included.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #16

adding solar

Like Alexisc, I'm looking to add solar, but don't have quite the same demands. My Coachmen Freelander has some sort of outlet on the outside that says "solar ready". What exactly does that mean? Do most people mount their panels on the roof or keep them on the ground for flexibility re where the sun is?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #17

Back in the 1940's, radios came with a plug that said "ready for TV!" It was merely a wire that allowed you to use the speaker with a separate television receiver. ZAMP and the RV manufacturers have done the same. It is a plug with some 10 or 12 gauge wire that goes to the batteries. ZAMP is overpriced and under capable. The wire is small and the plug has very limited current capability. In short...it is pretty much a scam. Couple of good 150 watt panels on the roof, good controller and some 8 ga wire and you will have a solid and maintainable solar installation. Forget the Zamp stuff if you want more than a small, portable installation.

2015 335DS
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #18
MH Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
Like Alexisc, I'm looking to add solar, but don't have quite the same demands. My Coachmen Freelander has some sort of outlet on the outside that says "solar ready". What exactly does that mean? Do most people mount their panels on the roof or keep them on the ground for flexibility re where the sun is?
Solar Ready - usually means they have some wires to the battery or a possible drop down channel from the roof to make your life easier. Some people do a ground deployment, but I found lugging panels around was a task, storing them even more so I opted for the roof.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjc View Post
Hi there - I have installed a full working solar system in my Sunseeker 3120 DS. I found that reasearch in the beggining saved me alot of money. I recomend starting here to undertand the ins and outs: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

When you are ready to move forward, I would be more than happy to make suggestions based on your power usage - I have priced everything from connectors, to cable to panels. I shop by quality and price, pretty happy with my build.

Good Luck.
Thanks - that would be great. I'll take a look through this. It's all a bit too complicated for my liking. Learning slowly.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
I have that too but mine requires you to use Zamp panels and they are crazy expensive.

Tags
inverter, solar