Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Solar Panel

My 5th wheel came with a solar panel on the AC cover. I turned off the battery disconnect switch and the next day I was in the camper and noticed a green light on on the CO detecter. So I did disconnect the battery that turned the green light off but had to reconnect it (because I found the detector beeping and the green light was now red after a day or so with no battery installed). But after talking to Forest River they informed me the detector along with the landing gear where hard wired. So I'm guessing that if the cutoff switch is in the off position the solar should be hard wired to the battery. So the battery should always stay charged. What do you fine folks think or have you had the same experience?

slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Well, after looking at your post, can you give us a few more hints? Year and model on the trailer? Did you buy it new or used? Who put the solar on, previous owner, dealer, you? Do you have a solar charge controller somewhere? Now if I understand correctly, you have a "battery disconnect switch", but you don't have a battery installed in the trailer? As for "hard wired", as far as I know, the CO detector, the landing gear, and the trailer breakaway switch, must be hardwired per federal law. Previous owners have been known to re-wire things.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
solar panel kind of long

Sorry for the confusion.

This RV is a brand new '09 I'm the first owner. When I was saying hard wired I should have said directly wired to the battery (I guess).Solar panel is on the AC cover which was factory intalled. And no there is no panel to show what the solar panel is doing. I had an issue a while back after returning from a trip. I turned off the battery disconnect switch and the next day when DW went in to replace linens she stated that there was a green light on on the CO detector. I didn't understand why with the disconnect off but it was. So I said to myself I'll fix that and I disconnected the battery. Well the next day I walked pass the RV and hear this alarm sounding went inside and the little green light was now red. Called my dealer and they didn't have a clue. So I reconnected the battery alarm stopped and light went back to green. So contacted Forest River and was told that this detector and the landing gear were not controled by the cutoff switch, they are wired straight to the battery. So I was just going to leave cutoff switch off and battery connected for the winter but I was told that the detector would draw more power than the solar panel could provide. Hope this is a clear as mud. So now I'm confused even more.
slides is offline   Reply With Quote