Old 11-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Solar Panel with RV Cover

I have a small solar panel installed on the roof of my TT for charging my battery only and want to purchase a cover to protect the trailer from the sun of SoCal. I plan on cutting out a section of the cover for the solar panel to remain exposed and will use outdoor heavy duty Velcro to line the edges of the cut out. I will than line the edges of a piece of open mesh material with Velcro and use that piece to attach to the open section of the cover so that it will not tear on windy days. Has anyone done anything like this? Any different ideas? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2010 Wildwood 23FBS
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
ibwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
I've pondered putting a cover over my TT w/solar panels as well, but couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution. I like your idea, but I think rain would get under the cover and mold up the roof. Maybe get a clear piece of plastic (vinyl?) in place of the opening. Good luck.

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
RPAspey, good idea. I had also thought of water under the cover but the ADCO cover I may purchase has vents across the top that I think would help with the drying process. The clear plastic may degrade quickly in the SoCal sun but it could last up to a year and be pretty easy to replace. I'll do some investigation. I still haven't decided if I'm going to get a cover.
On another note I noticed you have a 2007 Tundra. I would still have mine also if I wouldn't have been T-boned by a big rig in 2012. My 2010 Tundra is the replacement TV. Two big trips across the states in 2010 & 2012. Total miles traveled: 20,000 & total days camped: 136. Both trucks were great towing the ultra-lite 5th wheel we used to have. Problem with the trailer tires and wheel bearings and still had a fantastic time.
2010 Wildwood 23FBS
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
ibwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
I also have a solar panel on top of my 2012 3008w jammer. I called Cal Mark Covers and asked about the solar panel and ordering a cover for my V. They said with their covers there is no need to cut out for panel. He said the panel will work with their covers. Not sure if that means all covers, their covers.
Still not sure if I want to pay that much for a custom cover. Without the cover, I use my trailer more during the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
brodriques is offline   Reply With Quote

cover, solar