Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

I just checked the specs on my light. Gets power from either the backup lights (don't use this setting) or running lights.
NOT the charge circuit like I thought.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #22

A little more information...

Herk... I guess I didn't catch what you think I was asking.. I am putting the panels on the camper. I don't want the current from the panels from feeding into the truck thru the 7pin connector causing damage to the truck's electrical system or the controller. I had on one ocassion, forgotten to unplug the shore power when hooking up the camper, and the brake controller acted as if it never sensed the camper. I assume it was a coincidence. To cure, I shut off the truck, unhooked the camper 7pin and waited for the brake controller to go to sleep. Then rehook up. Never happened since, but I never left the camper plugged in while hooking up either.

My camper is a 2000 Cherokee 31BH, with all LED lights, dual T145's, Parallex charger with charge wizard and a bunch of other modifications to suit our travel style.

My truck is a 2007 Toyo Tundra, 8' bed, 5.7L v8, upgraded brakes and suspension, with a Prodigee brake controller.

I can't test hook up the camper to my truck right now as the whole electrical system is in a state of chaos. Once I've gotten everything back to normal I can test the path from the camper battery to the truck's battery.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #23

Correct me if I'm wrong; you want to stop all electrical flow from your camper mounted solar panels from reaching your truck? If that is correct then the I would use a diode. However, doing this would not allow you to maintain a charge on your TV battery (when connected to the camper) when the camper is on shore power as LOU and Herk mentioned earlier. Or better yet, if the brake controller is the only device your worried about, find the 12v wire leading to it and place the diode there.
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

OK, I have to let you guys in on a couple of things.

1) I firmly believe it is not "Who is right; but what is right."
I don't need to BE right; I need to know what IS right.

2) Herk7769 and Lou are the same guy. (If you click on my name to the left of my posts you can see my profile. If everyone updated their profiles you could preface posts directed at a person with their real first name if you so choose.

3) We tend to defend our most closely held beliefs long after we should have ditched them. Based on my experience with that stupid socket light I have held the understanding that the 12VDC line was cold with the key off. All further posts stemmed from the falsely held belief.

4) Every thunder cloud is beautiful; from a distance. they suck up close.
(The old "silver lining" thing)

5) I learned a lot researching this thread. Far more than I would have without digging into the books to prove I was wrong. I found circuit diagrams for my truck both in the truck maintenance manuals I bought when it was new and the Net. Some are pretty cool and will be appearing from time to time.

To RPAspey: Yep, I had this picture in my mind of a rack on top of your truck with the panels on it. I thought your unique solution was pretty cool actually. To bad they are on the camper like everyone else.

To Ron: Since he wants to protect the truck from power coming FROM the camper's solar controller, the easiest way to do that in a GMC/Chevy is a reverse biased diode between Post 1 and the Camper's 12VDC Vcc line. Since that Vcc line is fused at 40 amps,it would have to have a pretty big honking blocking diode I am thinking. No?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #25

Sorry I was thinking Rod but typed Lou.

Yes it would take a bigger diode than normal but I was thinking of something like this
Relay - with diode
This relay w/diode can handle up to 50 amps and it is only the size of a normal relay.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLynnJr View Post
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ron, will you stop that already! One thing I have found here is you don't have to ask anyone to correct you if you are wrong. They will happily do so with no effort on your part.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Ron, will you stop that already! One thing I have found here is you don't have to ask anyone to correct you if you are wrong. They will happily do so with no effort on your part.
Rodger that. lol

Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #28

RonLynn, I'm not worried about charging my truck battery. I unhook once in place, and use my truck for "exploring" the local sites.

Lou, panels on the truck would be a neat idea. Especially if I had a toy hauler with another vehicle. The panels would always be in the sun and facing south too!
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #29
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Lol, I really try to not come across like a jerk...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
Lol, I really try to not come across like a jerk...
Ditto. Sometimes I even succeed.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #31

I guess that i've found "inner peace" in the matter by not thinking or worrying about it! My solar panels stay "on" all of the time, even when connected and towing. When I get where I'm going, my batteries always read fully charged. I don't know if that charge comes from the solar or from the truck-pin supply, or from a combination, but either way it's full. I've had no proplems with the truck's charging or electrical system, as a result of being conected to the TT with the solar array "on".

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
I guess that i've found "inner peace" in the matter by not thinking or worrying about it! My solar panels stay "on" all of the time, even when connected and towing. When I get where I'm going, my batteries always read fully charged. I don't know if that charge comes from the solar or from the truck-pin supply, or from a combination, but either way it's full. I've had no proplems with the truck's charging or electrical system, as a result of being conected to the TT with the solar array "on".
Shalom

Tags
solar