Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I found a 285W panel on Craigslist (77" x 39") and I added a 1/4" aluminum bar inside the frame, front and back. This was fastened with a couple of 1/4-20 SS bolts. This allowed me to attach stainless steel hinges with the 1/4-20 SS bolt by tapping the aluminum bar. I can then remove the bolts that hold the hinges to the panel and tilt the panels using a custom made bar for maximum power. Being able to tilt the panels makes it easy to clean under the panel or work on it if needed. The hinges sit on custom made PVC blocks. The blocks allow for a number of screws to be used over a wider area to help hold it to the 1/8" plywood. Even the three screws on each hinge goes through the PVC block and into the roof. Of course, plenty of Dicor was used, which also helps hold the panel to the roof. I may add a small wind shield on the front edge of the blocks to help deflect the wind. So in total, 28 screws hold the panel to the roof. I also added PVC block in the middle of the panel for it to rest on and help support the panel.

By the way, I use a cheap MPPT controller and it recharges my pair of golf cart batteries by 10am - and that was with the panel laying flat on the roof this winter. I've seen the panel putting out over 16 amps - solar is great!
Very clean install. nice!

Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #32

You guys who have opted for portable panels, what connectors are you using? This is the route I want to go also. I don't think the standard Mc4 connectors are built for frequent disconnects. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsideup View Post
You guys who have opted for portable panels, what connectors are you using? This is the route I want to go also. I don't think the standard Mc4 connectors are built for frequent disconnects. Thanks.
I haven't had any issues with the MC4 connectors yet. They come apart pretty easy for me. You need the special tool to release the tabs.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #34

Similar Topic, please Chime in if you want!

I started a similiar topic and we are having issues with how to mount on the thin roofs of the Forester and Sunseeker. Check it out and chime in.
Thanks
Ready for Solar, again!
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #35

I have used the mc4 connectors without problems so far. As to the portable mount, I bought the least expensive painted steel unit. It folds flat when not in use. I use a good quality bicycle cable with integrated lock through the frame of the panel. Steel Adjustable Angle Solar Panel Mounting Rack Kit Wall Roof or Ground Mount | eBay
Old 04-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #36

Those rubber well nuts Shop Standard (SAE) Well Nuts at Lowes.com are worth every minute that I have spent on this forum. Perfect, strong and well sealed!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsideup View Post
For just one 100 watt panel, we put the Mc4 to the long piece of a 12 or 14 gauge extension cord in to the little 10 amp controller mounted in a clear plastic box with the male plug end running out the other side. Then used the female end, about 18 or 24 inches long mounted to the batteries and just plug the controller in and if you want to cut up two extension cords make a disconnect on the panel side of the box too. Be careful with the plug prongs, when the panel is facing up they are hot. Use nice bright orange or yellow extension cords and they are easier to see laying on the ground.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:23 AM   #38
Got mtn bike?

I guess my set up is more for permanent or to be moved on rare occasions.

ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, solar, solar panel