Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #41

I have 3 years on my first panel and 2 on the second with no issues. I was a little apprehensive about my junction box because I glued it to the roof with Dicor but it has not moved.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 AM   #42

My thin film flexible panel (glued down with silicone) has gotten milky after several years on the roof. Also, because it is flat, it doesn't produce as much power as I sometimes need. And, if you are parked in the shade, you get even less. I solved it by adding a portable 100 watt panel. I put two aluminum legs on it that fold out to hold it up. A string keeps the legs from spreading too far. When it is rainy, or shady, I'll put the portable panel out. Facing it towards the sun maximizes power. I still like the roof installation, because it always keeps the batteries fully charged. I ran flexible plastic conduit from the panel to the batteries. After 4 years, the sun has deteriorated the plastic, so I'll need to paint it soon. If you run the wires without conduit of some kind, you'll have to replace the wires eventually. I connect my portable panel with 2 prong flat trailer connectors. I had to cut off the fancy (expensive) plugs that came with my Renolgy panel. The trailer connectors have small wires, but for short runs, and the low wattage, the voltage drop is negligible. I put an old fashioned house fuse box between the charge controller and solar panel, so I can shut of the power to work on it. Otherwise you can throw a rug over it. I keep a ladder tied down under the trailer and above the axle just in case I need it. I bought the fancy charge controller with shunt to measure every watt that comes in and it tells you everything you want to know and more. In truth, it is overkill. Fun to know, but not really necessary. With two panels, and two golf cart batteries, I can boondock indefinitely as long as the sun shines a little.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #43

Certainly not "poo-pooing" the idea of permanent mount solar panels but when I decided to "go solar" I considered where I'd be boondocking most of the time.

Answer was "in the woods" so I decided to just go with portable panels and a 40' long #10 awg extension cord. Panels in series and an MPPT controller mounted in my TT.

This allows me to both set the panels up in any patch of sunlight that usually shows up in even a forested campsite but also move the panels as the patch of sun moves. my tow 80 watt (160 watt total) setup replaces most, if not all, of my average 35 Ah daily consumption.

Last but not least--------- no roof penetrations. No re-sealing and all that "fun".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, solar, solar panel