Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Question Solar power

Ok bought a new trailer that is solar ready. Now what is the advantage of using and the cost to buy? How many panels to run
1 TV
2 heat
3 lights
4 Micro way
5 Fire place
6 any other small appliances

I see using when dry camping but Gen may be just as good and maybe cheaper.

Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

If you want to run a microwave, you'll probably need a bank of 4 deep cycle batteries, along with solar panels.
Personally, I prefer an inverter generator to solar panels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

You'll need to know the solar pre wiring size to know how much solar can be put on it.
My solar system is a larger system I designed to run everything except my 2 A/C units. We boondock a lot.
520 watt solar, 435ah AGM battery bank, 60 amp mppt charge controller, Cotek TSW inverter with transfer switch. Pics can be viewed on my profile page.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Chief

The only thing that makes it solar ready is a little connector with two wires hanging off it as far as I could see on my "solar ready" XLR. I would say a good $1 to 1.50 cost there.
If you want to run all the stuff you mentioned you'll need to start from scratch as mud details.
Maybe I'm wrong and I haven't seen something though.
Razorbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Ok bought a new trailer that is solar ready. Now what is the advantage of using and the cost to buy? How many panels to run
1 TV
2 heat
3 lights
4 Micro way
5 Fire place
6 any other small appliances

I see using when dry camping but Gen may be just as good and maybe cheaper.

Later RJD
Oh boy...you ought to sit down for this..

Solar ain't running any of the things you mention. Its your battery bank. So, where should you start...read a lot. Search thru posts here about solar, look on-line. There is so much you can learn.

Heres a brief summary: lights use 12v only. Furnace is propane and 12v. Rest is 120vac. Without an inverter, only the furnace and lights will work on battery. The fireplace.....forget it.

Honestly, by your question, I'd guess you didn't research solar power. solar only charges your batteries (yes it can power some things, but essentially it charges your batteries) Take this advice: when going solar, take your time, spend money wisely & research.

Going solar: Step 1, conserve. Example: convert to LED lighting. Step 2, determine what your needs are. Example:.CPAP machine or television. then determine usage and power draw. Step 3, determine inverter needed to power items in step 2. Step 4: calculate battery bank that is needed to supply said inverter from step 3. Step 5: Now figure what solar power you'll need to properly recharge the batteries in a reasonably bright day.

Do I have you confused or frustrated? Its ok. Solar has a steep learning curve. Those of us who have solar have all crawed up that curve. Keep asking questions, we'll help. But, first of all, read and learn all you can about solar. All the while learn to conserve.

For most, a generator is easier.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply's. Nope did not research as that is why I put the question here. As I thought Gen is the best route to go do the the limited uses of Solar. Yes a pamphlet came with my new camper with some hint of of the solar power use but was not very helpful.

The other question would be if a person was going that route were do you put the panels they show ones with legs set up next to camper. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Were you put them depends on were you camp. some people will attach them to there trailer roof, this works if you camp in areas were you don't have trees that will block the sun. I tend to camp in areas with lots of trees so i have my panels on a long wire (20 feet) so I can move them to a spot on the camp that gets the most sun. My system is small so it is easy to do. If you have a 500W system like mud this would not be practical.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Solar isn't for everyone. For casual camping a few long weekends out of the year (largely on hookups) a genset might make more sense. But I do disagree with some of the points already mentioned. It IS capable of running many of the devices you mentioned during hours of energy production.. or at least taking a decent chunk of the load off of your battery bank.

If you do any amount of dry camping gensets are not easier to use nor cheaper, but they are lighter.

Solar is hassle free. No lugging a genset in and out, plugging in/unplugging, keeping the tanks filled, having to carry additional fuel, it's silent, no stinky exhaust, lower maintenance, no need to run out and shut it down or provide additional weather protection if it rains, no getting stuck in camp babysitting a genset while your batteries are still recharging, no need to purchase additional equipment to maintain your battery when in storage, and so on and so on.

While the majority of my solar equipment will last much longer, I set a 10 year expected life of my system based on the expected life of my battery bank in order to run some numbers. While the initial cost for solar is greater than a genset, daily usage over a 10 year span will cost less than 1/3 the cost of running a genset. Less if you are using dual gensets. Of course.. those figures don't include things like genny repairs, and assuming it never needs oil or filter changes and that fuel prices never go up.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount solar. If you're interested, I would encourage you to spend some time on Jack Mayers website. There are some excellent write-ups in plain English that walk you through all aspects of RV electrical and solar systems.

I'm also not harshing on gensets. I actually own 2 - 2000w genny's myself... and I use them when needed, but it's very rare.

JMO
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
What is the actual weight of the trailer? What is the pin weight of the trailer? What is the MCGVW of the Avalanch? What is the actual GVW of the Avalanch? What are the allowable weights of the Avalanch (they are on a sticker on the door frame of drivers door)? Sorry for all the questions but I need this info to make an informed reply. Take the truck to a scale and weigh it with full fuel and yourself. Then take the trailer and weigh it full of the stuff you want to take with you. It is a PITA but that is the only way to see if you will be within your weights. Never trust the weights published on a trailer, they are always wrong.
Cheers
Bear
You are correct on all your points. I said that the OP couldn't run his stuff off the panels alone just to get a point across and keeping it simple. I often run the fridge off my solar only (of course thru an inverter) when the conditions are right and batteries are full.

What the heck is going on? I quoted Yarome but a quote by Bear shows up from a different post all together?????
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Thanks for the additional info. I will check out Jacks site tho. Disagree with some points of the Gen as the one I have as long as you do not run air will run for 24 hrs and it's db is about as good as a Honda and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy about half the cost and only weights 75 pounds. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

Solar gives you convenience and the freedom to camp anywhere you want, but you need enough solar to do it and the batteries it takes to do it, then just food and water. A large enough solar system and battery bank is only a part of the solar system equation. You need very large wiring, fusing, transfer switching to go from shore power to inverter power to generator power, a large true sine wave inverter, a good charge controller, remote monitoring of the charge controller and battery bank from inside your RV. Properly sized wiring to reduce voltage drops. Along with my large solar array I have on board a 5500 watt Cummins Onan generator as a back up with a 30 gallon fuel tank for it. I have everything monitored thru a 50 amp Progressive Ind. hardwire surge protector. To give you an idea of the cost of my solar system with TSW inverter, transfer switched, surge protector and Morningstar 60 amp MPPT charge controller and all remote monitors I have $3500 to $4000 or a little more but (no labor cost included in this amount, free labor of my own) in it which does include $1000 in AGM batteries. With a $1000 dollar battery bank you will want the best charge controller you can buy. I could have went cheaper on the batteries but didn't want the acid fumes in my RV enclose or worrying about venting the acid fumes. My battery bank weighs about 300 pounds which is another consideration to take into account when putting solar and a large battery bank in your RV. I probably added 600 pounds to my RV with the batteries, solar panels, charge controller and inverters and other devices and wiring. Large wiring is also very heavy. You will need to make sure your RV can take on the additional weight along with the other items you carry including water. I carry 130 gallons of fresh water when I go boondocking.
I can produce 35 amp with out a problem with my panels and when you consider I'm watch my 42" flat screen TV, Blue-ray DVD player for movies at night with all my LED lighting on inside and outside and running the furnace if needed, 4 door refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, stereo just like I was plugged into the shore power without hesitation and without a worry of running out of battery bank. Only thing I need shore power or generator for is the 2 roof top A/C units which is this time of year for us. For 8 or 9 month out of the year though it is all solar and for the other 3 or 4 months genny or shore power.
Will my system ever pay me back money wise? Not likely, but in convenience and freedom it already has. I find my self going out in the RV at home and watching movies and eating popcorn just to us the free electricity. LOL We love our solar system!!!
An expensive solar system isn't for everyone, but a smaller Solar system like 100 or 200 watts with fusing and a couple true solar deep cycle batteries is easy and do able for less than a $600 to just keep your batteries topped off and always ready to use for the weekend.
Research it and don't get taken by those Zamp portable system they advertised they are way over priced. Look on ebay under RV solar kits. Renogy has a 100 watt kit which includes a charge controller and wiring for about $250 then all you need is fusing and batteries of your choice and a location for a couple of batteries and wherever you choose to mount you panels. Don't be discouraged get a little solar you will be glad you did and proud of it.
Good luck and Happy Camping!!!!
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Disagree with some points of the Gen as the one I have as long as you do not run air will run for 24 hrs and it's db is about as good as a Honda and a heck of a lot cheaper to buy
It's not so much the initial cost of the genset that gets expensive.. it's the ongoing fuel cost. Solar is a one time expense, and once it's in place and tuned up it just ticks along all by it's lonesome year after year.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
It's not so much the initial cost of the genset that gets expensive.. it's the ongoing fuel cost. Solar is a one time expense, and once it's in place and tuned up it just ticks along all by it's lonesome year after year.
Yes Sir virtually maintenance free but you will find yourself looking at it in awwww a lot if your anything like me.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

But can you justify the expense of solar. Takes an awful lot of camping to pay for it, just like buying a diesel truck. I could not justify the cost as we are seasonal campers and go during the year about 2 times per month. As I mentioned I can run 24 hrs on about 5 gal of gas. But that was an exception as most days you may run a couple of hrs or less. With the years I have left on this planet and for camping not worth it.

However lots of good info. Thanks. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
But can you justify the expense of solar. Takes an awful lot of camping to pay for it, just like buying a diesel truck. I could not justify the cost as we are seasonal campers and go during the year about 2 times per month. As I mentioned I can run 24 hrs on about 5 gal of gas. But that was an exception as most days you may run a couple of hrs or less. With the years I have left on this planet and for camping not worth it.

However lots of good info. Thanks. Later RJD
Like I said Solar isn't for everyone and if 5 gallons of gas last you 24 hrs then you don't need solar anyway. I burn a gallon per hour running 2 A/C units.

Tags
power, solar