Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

Solar Prep means what?

Hi. I just joined the Forest a River Forum and wrote a hi in the Welcome Mat, but also posed a question. I realize I put my question in the wrong spot. I think it should be here...

My question is regarding our new Forest River Camper, a 396v 2014 Vengeance Toy Hauler. The dealer couldn't help me when I asked what does solar prep mean? Forest River advertises the 396v as having a solar prep package... Does anyone know what that entails? The dealer said, oh, there is a little button outside, look around for it. We see nothing... There is a sticker in the bedroom, saying, place charge controller here. But there is nothing on the wall, to show why there...no electric connection, nothing... Am I missing something?
Thanks!
CEDARHAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

I'm assuming the prep means they ran wires from the roof to the controller mount location and to the battery but I have no experience with your particular trailer.

Linc

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK
2014 Ram 1500
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Missing_link is correct. It means the wires were run from your roof to your batteries for solar panels if you desire to have the panels installed.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

My husband sent me here to find out the same thing. We just purchased a 2014 wolf pup 22bp that came with the "solar prep". He is a very technical guy and he wants to add solar panels. He wants to know the technical specifications for the solar prep...what can he plug into it...what CAN'T he plug into it, etc.

OP, our unit has a port on the front left corner of our trailer that says "Solar Ready". I'm assuming that port goes to the wiring for the battery.

We have scoured everything and can't find any technical info on the solar prep.
Discoteka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoteka View Post
My husband sent me here to find out the same thing. We just purchased a 2014 wolf pup 22bp that came with the "solar prep". He is a very technical guy and he wants to add solar panels. He wants to know the technical specifications for the solar prep...what can he plug into it...what CAN'T he plug into it, etc.

OP, our unit has a port on the front left corner of our trailer that says "Solar Ready". I'm assuming that port goes to the wiring for the battery.

We have scoured everything and can't find any technical info on the solar prep.
that is were you would plug your solar panels in
Old 08-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

Hah, yes, we gathered that much. After reading what I wrote, I see where that wasn't evident.
Discoteka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Our daughter is getting married in a week, then we hope to have time to play with the TH and figure out the solar prep package. Discoteka, keep us posted on your progress and the panels and charge controller you end up with!
CEDARHAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

We have an 18 watt solar panel that we hook up to the battery terminals (we dry camp in a Rockwood HW 276 PUP). Does anyone know if we'll be able to hook it up to a solar prepped unit?
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar