Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Solar Questions

I'm thinking about having a 160 watt solar panel installed on my 2014 Sunseeker. Other then keeping my batteries charged what advantages would I gain. Other's who have the solar it would be good to hear from you. thanks for the great advice I always get from everyone.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

If you have a 160 panel you will also need a charge controller to prevent over-charging. The basic benefit is battery charging. If you couple it with an inverter you will have the ability to run low wattage appliances.

Don't expect miracles - a 160 watts is not much -
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

Solar

Yes you will want a good inverter and charge controller for the batteries. We have 4 x 180 watt panels on the roof of our Sabre 32bhok. Love having the free power when boon docking and never have to worry about the batteries running low.
Mozzy n Boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Warning: you're going down a slippery slope that will open you up to a lot of campgrounds without hookups. Saving you money and making camping more enjoyable. You'll find yourself looking for those places!

advantage: a quality MPPT charge controller with battery monitor will also provide a way to monitor your batteries while it charges your batteries.

advantage: You'll have backup charger if your converter takes a dump.

advantage: if you lose mains power at home, you'll still have some power/fridge if you have propane.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I posted on some of your question here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post596990
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Herk, your #4 isn't exactly right. If you are using a PWM controller your statement is true. If you use a MPPT then it isn't. My MPPT controller will generate power even when the panels are producing voltage less than the batteries. It trades voltage for current and vice versa. I've seen it produce small amount of current even after the was near the horizon and on dreary overcast days. When it happens again, I'll take a pix to of the display show.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Herk, your #4 isn't exactly right. If you are using a PWM controller your statement is true. If you use a MPPT then it isn't. My MPPT controller will generate power even when the panels are producing voltage less than the batteries. It trades voltage for current and vice versa. I've seen it produce small amount of current even after the was near the horizon and on dreary overcast days. When it happens again, I'll take a pix to of the display show.

Thanks. I have not gone solar yet. My knowledge may be a bit dated and rusty. Always willing to learn (heck - RE-learn) something new.

No vaccinations for CRS yet...
Herk
Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Solar is a great way to extend your trips and/or be able to be comfortable while boondocking. If you have LED lights and don't use your furnace a 160 watt panel with good sun exposure will do fine to keep you camping. That is assuming you have the battery storage. Good advice above.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Thanks. I have not gone solar yet. My knowledge may be a bit dated and rusty. Always willing to learn (heck - RE-learn) something new.

No vaccinations for CRS yet...
Herk
I do understand CRS. I work with a couple of smart guys 10-15 years younger. One has an amazing memory. Almost photographic. He has CFS. Cant Forget S... They really make it obvious that I have CRS syndrome.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Solar/boondocking set up in my Sunseeker 2500TSC

I had the dealership (Flagg RV Uxbridge) install Solar Elite Charging System (320 watts) | GPElectric and swap out my two 12 volt series 27 house batteries for four 6 volt wired up for 12 volt output. I went from 220 amp hours with the series 27 to 460 amp hours with the 6 volt batteries. We primarily camp on BLM properties. We have 3 large dogs and prefer them to neighbors. Looking at adding a composting toilet to reduce our water usage if I can fit it into our current bathroom. All Products : Nature's Head, Inc.
THarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #11

Try this website for more info -

RV Solar System Sizing by "Rules of Thumb"
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
Try this website for more info -

RV Solar System Sizing by "Rules of Thumb"
Sounds like "right on."
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bednarski1 View Post
what advantages would I gain.
None. It would be the worst thing you ever did. It would cause you to learn about flooded lead acid batteries and things like amp hours, constant current or bulk charging and constant voltage or absorption charging.
Battery FAQ

PWM vs MPPT solar charge controllers.

INVERTERS! OMG! PSW vs MSW.

It goes on and on..... Can become an obsession.

Or you can have great fun like I did.

The general order of things when going solar is...

determine power consumption
size batteries to provide the above
size solar to charge batteries.

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Actually the most important step is to reduce your loads before sizing and investing in solar.
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #15

I've spent the last winter, off and on, reading and learning what I could about boondocking and in my searches found this:

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

I've read it a half dozen times now, along with other posts he has and other sites and I'm almost at the point where I have a decent enough understanding to put a plan into action. He can be a bit difficult to understand in some areas because of the way he writes (kind of like reading Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, really) but he has an enormous amount of information and insight. And really, who better to get advice from than someone who installs (privately, unfortunately) and has been boondocking all year round without a generator? GREAT resource with excellent advice.

brad
yetiboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar