Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

solar roof panels, 12 v vs 120 volt 29 hfs

i just got delivery of a xlr 29 hfs. i already own a four wheel pop up camper that i added a rooftop solar panel, a morningstar controller , bogart monitor which keeps my little space energized.

this toy hauler is clearly a different beast. i would like to be able to boonedock, not necessarily using the ac unit or the microwave, just basic lighting , running a 12 v tv, using heat, powering the refrigerator, deploying the slideout etc. i dont really want to be running a generator ie i would like to add rooftop panels, a battery system etc. i honestly cannot figure out if this unit is designed to only run at 110-120 v. do people have access to the detailed plans and specs of what is in this unit and where it is. has anyone done with the xlr series of bumper pulls what i am hoping to do? Specifics would be greatly appreciated.
marcfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #2

Your new RV is a twelve volt system just like your pop up with the addition of a 110V system as well. When you are plugged into shor power the 110V outlets will be live. When you are not plugged in they aren't. Unless you have a generator in your rig. If the generator is running then you will have 110V.

Most of the systems in your rig are native 12V. The heater fan, the fridge electronics, most if not all of the lights. When you are plugged into 110 the converter in your rig converts 110 to 12 to run these systems.

There is device called an inverter that will invert 12V DC to 110V AC. Most rigs are not equipped with inverts from the factory. Inverters are relatively expensive and require a good bit of battery to run effectively.

You designed a solar system for your pop up. Your 12v needs there are probably fairly modest. Your new rig will not be as modest, most likely, so the solar system you will need there will be more complicated. Probably more panels, a larger and perhaps different charge controller and maybe an inverter. You will definitely want to keep your Bogart! That's the key to a good solar system.

For more info and a good place to start take a look at my blog:

Cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com

I am here on this forum because I am considering a shockwave as my new toy hauler. Im hoping there is a forest river lurker that knows a bit about the solar they are installing in some of their models. I want to pick that guy's brain.

Thanks,

Kelly
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, solar