Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #41

I admit I was wrong assuming the MPPT like a PVM output is the same as input voltage. I have never considered wasting money on a MPPT, so I wasn't up on it. I plan to use an PVM since they are less expensive and will do the job more efficiently. Now if you want to add an extra panel, go ahead. I (we) have to first out how much power we actually need to size everything properly. Then go with good products and keep them as small as necessary... good batteries, good charger, good inverter. The key is balance. I might make sense if you can afford them, to have more PV panel than you need, but not so much on everything else. I plan to figure what will run on a modified SW Inverter before starting. I continue to learn and am rereading all that HandyBob (https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/) has to say. He points out that most solar pros (even the big dogs) have an agenda and it isn't getting you the right system for you needs. For instance, did you know that the biggest issue with batteries is that the equipment we are being sold isn't charging them fully. We who have actually camp outside a resort might start the evening on batteries half (or less) charged; this is causing them to not last as long as they should. Staying the night in a Walmart parking lot isn't boondocking.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:02 AM   #42

That sounds like a lot just to keep your batteries charge. I was told with that much you could power the coach without shore power for as long as the sun shines.
I'm looking for the best product to keep my batteries charged when I'm not plugged in. Any suggestions on that?
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #43

Great advice!!! Thank you. I'm going to keep this in mind since I eventually want to build up my system

Thanks Flybob
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #44

I'm building my system with future expansion in mind.
I want to start out being able to keep to group 24 batteries charged while the TT is sitting out at my hunt club with the fridge and other low power systems running and then to recharge what I use on the weekend/holidays, etc...

I want to expand the system so that by March I can use it a week at Daytona with no shore/generator power except to maybe run the coffee pot in the early AM.

Still setting things up will take pics when done.

Mel
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar