Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
I was afraid of that. But does it make sense that after he did that, and hooked it up correctly, everything worked? And now a few days later nothing works?
The converter charges the battery. When the converter fried everything worked until the battery died.

Most likely your TV is gone also since it draws power when off. Anything 120VAC that was "ON" when he hooked up is now dead. If the fridge was on, the 120VAC heater is now dead. If the air was "on" it is also dead. Microwave was most likely off so it should be ok. Anything that was 12 volts was ok (except for the converter of course). Previous times this happened the repair costs have come in at around $2,000.00

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #12

Terier, no offense taken. Everybody has been so helpful, you included. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone so far

Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

After the electrician screwed up, the ac continued to run for five hours as we were installing the television in the bedroom. When we finished with that, tested out the tv it was working great. I turned off the ac and fridge and locked up. I never unplugged the TT after that. There is no breaker in the box that he installed but I sent down to the basement of my house and no breakers were tripped. I turned the breaker for that box off and on again just in case and still nothing.

I tried to change the fridge over to gas but none of the lights would come on so it wouldnt switch over. I know it had gas cause the dealer fixed it.

Update on the electrician: He was supposed to come over this morning and look at it. He called me and said take it in to the dealer and see what they charge you to fix it and I'll pay for it. I think he was online last night because he said a couple of the same things you all have been saying. I'm just praying it was the converter only cause I think he would pay for that but if theres a bunch of stuff wrong I'm not sure about that one.

Does anyone know if a claim on my insurance would be on comprehensive? I had to finance the TT and the lender required me to have no more than a $500 deductible when I wanted a $1000. No complaints about that anymore.

should I tell the dealer what happened or just tell them nothing is working. I'm a little calmer this morning. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Alleged curmudgeon

Yes, you should tell the dealer (and anyone else trying to help you) exactly what happened. That you had A/C running for five hours after the event is perplexing here. Have you checked the breakers in the box in your TT to be sure they are not tripped?
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Converter has nothing to do with a/c or tv
As they are 110v not 12v
Converter only takes 110v and converts it to 12v.
If battery is charged you should still have lights.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #16

I looked at the breakers and they were all facing the same way so I didnt think it was the breakers. Is it possible they were all tripped? called the dealer and he cant get to it until Aug. 13. I'm really disappointed in the whole experience. My dad passed away last year and my mom has really had difficulty dealing with it. I really wish he was here now to help me. I was so looking forward to getting away with my mom and now its not going to happen.

What about fuses, should I look at those? Is it possible that they were blown?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
I looked at the breakers and they were all facing the same way so I didnt think it was the breakers. Is it possible they were all tripped? called the dealer and he cant get to it until Aug. 13. I'm really disappointed in the whole experience. My dad passed away last year and my mom has really had difficulty dealing with it. I really wish he was here now to help me. I was so looking forward to getting away with my mom and now its not going to happen.

What about fuses, should I look at those? Is it possible that they were blown?
Even tho breakers don't looked tripped shut them off then back on.

Fuses should be in same panel

As well as resetable circuit breakers near your battery is a possibility.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Site Team

Hmmm, I wonder if the outlet that he installed is working correctly now, or if something could have messed up in it too.

I would do as everyone has suggested, and take it to the dealer to let them check it out, irregardless.

On a side note, and really this is something you probably want to add to your trailer accessories anyway...is an outlet tester. This way you can test the one at your house, as well as ALL campground outlets BEFORE you hook your travel trailer into them. Even the ones at the campgrounds can be bad. This is a habit you need to acquire.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire
Hmmm, I wonder if the outlet that he installed is working correctly now, or if something could have messed up in it too.

I would do as everyone has suggested, and take it to the dealer to let them check it out, irregardless.

On a side note, and really this is something you probably want to add to your trailer accessories anyway...is an outlet tester. This way you can test the one at your house, as well as ALL campground outlets BEFORE you hook your travel trailer into them. Even the ones at the campgrounds can be bad. This is a habit you need to acquire.
X2
Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #20

That is a great idea for the power tester. Can anyone give me a link to such an item.

I just talked to my insurance agent. He doesn't think power surges are covered. He said they are not covered in my homeowners so he doesn't think they are covered in the TT comprehensive coverage. I asked him to find out for sure. No matter what he says, I am going to get a copy of my policy and read it for myself to make sure.

Now if I can just find a place to take it for repairs. Every dealer I have called has said at least 2 weeks before they can check it out.