Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
That is a great idea for the power tester. Can anyone give me a link to such an item.

I just talked to my insurance agent. He doesn't think power surges are covered. He said they are not covered in my homeowners so he doesn't think they are covered in the TT comprehensive coverage. I asked him to find out for sure. No matter what he says, I am going to get a copy of my policy and read it for myself to make sure.

Now if I can just find a place to take it for repairs. Every dealer I have called has said at least 2 weeks before they can check it out.
Your dealer most likely stocks a plug in voltage meter.
Mine stocks 4.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #22

Sorry to hear about your problems and I would definately recommend as others have, get it into a dealership and have it looked at. Although you were able to continue to use the AC, Fridge, slide, etc. after the electrician corrected the power supply is perplexing, the fact that you had smoke coming from the electrical panel is very concerning and you never know what kind of damage this may have caused. Last thing you want is to have it plugged in and all appear to be working correctly, however something in that panel finally gives and creates even more of a problem for you, which could even be life-threatening if you are in the camper.

That being said if I was in your situation, given the fact that power still ran for several hours after getting the wiring fixed, there might be one last thing that I would try to validate whether or not power to the line the electrician ran is good or not. Most dealerships provide a pigtail end that will allow you to plug the 30 amp cord into a standard 110/20 amp electrical outlet. If you can find a working outlet and then leverage this adapter to connect the camper to it, you can validate whether the problem might be the 30 amp line or the camper itself. If this does work, be very careful in what you turn on in the camper because you do not want to draw too many amps through this circuit. DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE AC ON WHEN CONNECTED THIS WAY. Might want to make sure that it and your electric water heater (if you have one) are turned off before attempting.

I'd be very cautious when doing this because of the potential problems with that panel/converter, but again this would be my next step.

QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Your dealer most likely stocks a plug in voltage meter.
Mine stocks 4.
As F1100turbo says, most dealers should have them, and you can make your own, if you want.

Here is a good site on understanding 30/50 amp service (might want to show your electrician)...as well as making your own plug and play outlet tester.

RV Electric

30-amp RV outlet Tester

If you decide to make your own tester (plug and play), you can do without the line volt gauge to begin with if you can't easily find it. Wal-Mart will carry the 15 amp female to 30 amp male adapters in their RV section near Automotive/Tires. The 3-Wire Circuit Analyzer is usually over in the electrical section. You can at least test to see if your new 30 amp outlet is working.

They will also carry the opposite 30 amp female to 15 amp male adapter, so you can test your trailer like QCCowboy said in the above post. I sent you a private message earlier also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
There is no breaker in the box that he installed
This is not a good thing either. You will want the outlet turned off when you hook up the cord, as to not get electrical arcing. Over time, this can mess up your plug and/or you if you get zapped. You could turn it off in the basement each time, but that is going to be a pain.....especially in any kind of emergency situation and you need to kill power quick. If you have this box redone, go ahead and add a breaker at the box that you can turn off and on while you attach/detach the power cord. Just friendly advice.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

After the electrician screwed up, the ac continued to run for five hours as we were installing the television in the bedroom. When we finished with that, tested out the tv it was working great. I turned off the ac and fridge and locked up. I never unplugged the TT after that. There is no breaker in the box that he installed but I sent down to the basement of my house and no breakers were tripped. I turned the breaker for that box off and on again just in case and still nothing.

I tried to change the fridge over to gas but none of the lights would come on so it wouldnt switch over. I know it had gas cause the dealer fixed it.

Update on the electrician: He was supposed to come over this morning and look at it. He called me and said take it in to the dealer and see what they charge you to fix it and I'll pay for it. I think he was online last night because he said a couple of the same things you all have been saying. I'm just praying it was the converter only cause I think he would pay for that but if theres a bunch of stuff wrong I'm not sure about that one.

Does anyone know if a claim on my insurance would be on comprehensive? I had to finance the TT and the lender required me to have no more than a $500 deductible when I wanted a $1000. No complaints about that anymore.

should I tell the dealer what happened or just tell them nothing is working. I'm a little calmer this morning. Thanks everyone for the help.
Here's a wild guess- You never saw 220 VAC into the camper because as others have wondered how can anything survive? Your quote in red is maybe a very good lead. Now to me looks like converter popped on start up, not unusual as most electrionics that fail do so when brand new. If that were the case lots of smoke and what happened appear. However you continued to operate on AC/DC for a few hours on battery with converter dead. Only after returning "nothing works" becasue all the devices you named need DC for control. AC in frdge, Air cond, all need DC also.
If you can have a battery charger connected to your battery and a known souce of a/c, could be damages are minimal. I'm guessing in your favor.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #25

I just can't believe how helpful you all are. The fact that the air cond. ran for five hours is making me hopeful that it is just the converter.

Update: I received a call from my insurance agent who said he called the claims supervisor and the supervisor said he thought it would be covered. They are going to send me a copy of my policy so I can read it for myself. So IF and I know its a big IF but if its just the converter, then the electrician said he would take care of it. If a bunch of the appliances were fried, then I guess the insurance will cover it and I'll ask the electrician to pick up my $500 deductible.

Although I am not real mechanically inclined, by the end of this month, I'm going to know everything there is to know about electricity and RV's. And that's a good thing.

One last question, would it be a good idea to get some kind of surge protector for the future?

Again, thanks to everybody for the help. I hope someday I can repay the favor. I will definitely keep everyone update on how it turns out.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #26

I am a firm believer in surge protection and especially protection against low voltage (more typical and creates just as many problems.) I put in a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C because it does both. Went with the hardwired unit because I didn't want to worry about ever having to connect it or forget to connect it. Works great and has saved my rear on a couple occasions with low voltage situations.

Only dis-advantage here is that you either have to be comfortable with electrical wiring or have someone install it for you.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's a wild guess- You never saw 220 VAC into the camper because as others have wondered how can anything survive? Your quote in red is maybe a very good lead. Now to me looks like converter popped on start up, not unusual as most electrionics that fail do so when brand new. If that were the case lots of smoke and what happened appear. However you continued to operate on AC/DC for a few hours on battery with converter dead. Only after returning "nothing works" becasue all the devices you named need DC for control. AC in frdge, Air cond, all need DC also.
If you can have a battery charger connected to your battery and a known souce of a/c, could be damages are minimal. I'm guessing in your favor.
I don't know much, but that theory sounds better than anything I've heard so far (and those facts, if true, would surely be welcome news to OP). If that turns out to be the case, I vote to change VinceU's name to VinceUtheMan!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #28

marcusfan, when camping and at home I always use my surge protector. Don't ask me why I didn't that fateful Sunday morning at my dad's house when we fried my trailer.

Call Casey Flint at Mid America RV in Carthage, MO. 417-358-6892. I emailed him this morning and said I may have a referal for him. I know it's south of you a bit but it may be worth the drive. They did a diagnostic on everything in my TT to determine what was good and what had to be replaced. I dropped it on a Monday and they were on it on Thursday. Took another week to get parts but they were way faster than what my purchasing dealer could do. He sent me an estimate and I sent it onto my insurance. Check was cut a few days later and mailed to me but made out to both myself and Mid-America

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #29

Someone told you to use your 30amp to 20/15 amp pigtale adapter and plug into a standard outlet to see if you get any power. Have you been able to do this?

Also, whether on the new 30amp plug, or using the pigtale to another outlet, can you take an alarm clock or table lamp into the camper and plug it in to an outlet?

It would be nice to know if we have any power to the camper. Most installed appliances need DC to run thermostats, or other electrical components, but if I am not mistaken, power should still flow just fine through a fuse box even if the converter is fried and testing with a lamp or alarm clock, small fan, anything... will show us if you have power out there.

If you have power.... your weekend trip might not be squashed. Maybe Herk can chime in as he seems very knowledgeable, but you might be able to get by using a battery charger on your battery once arriving to your destination, and keeping that charger on there for the weekend. I wouldn't recommend doing this for months and months, and I would suggest running water heater and fridge on propane just to take the strain off a stand alone battery charger, but if all you were running is lights and the thermostat for the A/C, I don't think you'd be in a world of hurt.

None the less, please report back if you have some power out there so we have an idea where you are sitting.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
I received a call from my insurance agent who said he called the claims supervisor and the supervisor said he thought it would be covered. They are going to send me a copy of my policy so I can read it for myself. So IF and I know its a big IF but if its just the converter, then the electrician said he would take care of it. If a bunch of the appliances were fried, then I guess the insurance will cover it and I'll ask the electrician to pick up my $500 deductible.
IMHO your electrician should cover the entire tab on his insurance, if he fights this pull the lawyer card.