Old 08-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
IMHO your electrician should cover the entire tab on his insurance, if he fights this pull the lawyer card.

X2

Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
Alleged curmudgeon

Nothing has even been diagnosed yet. I don't disagree that the electrician should step up and be part of the solution here. However, as a member of an oft-maligned profession, I would just point out that threatening to have your lawyer look at something is often the end of civil conversation and relationships. Just don't jump the gun.

Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #33

I agree with Vern. Work with all parties involevd in a civil way. If all else fails, at the last moment, mention you leave me no choice. Especially since he has stated he'd pay for repairs. I understand he has no idea what repair costs are yet, but I wouldn't count him out until he tells you so. Keep it civil, see what happens. He's still answering your calls Give him a chance. Most electricians are insured, bonded.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
Maybe Herk can chime in as he seems very knowledgeable, but you might be able to get by using a battery charger on your battery once arriving to your destination, and keeping that charger on there for the weekend.
Post number 11 is mine.

For the record, the only items that can be damaged by this mistake are 120VAC items THAT WERE ON at the time of the event. No DC items can be harmed.

The converter will be destroyed immediately.

Items that should be OK if they were OFF at the time

Air Conditioner

Water heater

Items that can be fried if just plugged in.

120VAC Televisions - since they are "instant on" if they were plugged in they are most likely dead.

Fridge - AC portion only

Microwave - if powered on while connected
(possibly ruined if just plugged in - depends on model)

That is about it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #35

Lou,

I was hoping you would have something to say about using a battery charger as a replacement inverter for a weekend... providing the OP uses the refrigerator on propane so as not to overload the battery charger with so much current for the DC element.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #36

I did say if he fights it Unless he's a friend of her's, this is just the cost of doing business.

Personal I would pay for all the damages out of pocket asap, it would drive nuts not have my trailer... We already have a short enough season where I live.

I just don't like entertaining the thought of my insurance going up because of a claim I put on it that was not my fault.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #37

Sorry to hear about such a terrible thing. Besides all the aggravation and cost to somebody, I can't imagine how it must feel to lose all that camping time during the peak of the camping season. And if you had annual holidays booked, that would really suck.

Legal action should only be the last resort and even if you did win, it's often not worth all the delay and emotional pain and suffering. Best to keep as civil as possible as mentioned and be calm and diplomatic. Unfortunately, I would have to say that it's technically the electrician's error unless you directed him to do something that was wrong. Might be other things you can do such as talking to the local electrical inspector?

On a bit of a side note, I would highly recommend that you install a disconnect switch at the new 30A recept. at your RV. Also, you should be considering the voltage drop from the length of wire from your panel to the new recept. You might need #8 wire. At 120 volts, the voltage drop is going to be double (about) what it would have been at 240V. The electrician *might* need to pull out the wire he just installed. Makes me wonder if perhaps you could try getting a 2nd opinion from another electrician, assuming they aren't protective of each other.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
Lou,

I was hoping you would have something to say about using a battery charger as a replacement inverter for a weekend... providing the OP uses the refrigerator on propane so as not to overload the battery charger with so much current for the DC element.
Using a battery charger to keep the battery topped off and the 12VDC items working is a good idea PROVIDED... The converter itself is made safe.

I would be very worried about the converter. The battery is wired directly to the output of the converter and I am not sure what parts of the converter got fried. It is possible, I suppose, that nothing bad will happen by leaving the destroyed component in the camper, but it could just as easily catch fire.

I would call WFCO tech support at this point and discuss leaving power on the camper with that damaged converter in the circuit and the risks involved in doing so.

Anyone who has witnessed an RV fire first hand will never take a chance like this without very careful thought.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #39

Electrical problem

Marcusfan, I sent you a PM with contact info for A to Z Mobile RV Repair located at Paola, KS, that is about 50 miles from your location. They have a shop or they will come to your trailer. They have a lower labor cost than most of the RV Dealers in the Kansas City area, do great work, and are just all around good people. This isn't some out of my barn company, the owner use to manage the largerst shop in the metro area and started his own business over 12 years ago after getting tired of the RV Dealer run arounds and put offs.

Hope this might help along with all the other great advice, good luck and do whatever you do about this issue in a safe manner.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #40

I am at work today so I haven't had the chance to try your alls suggestions. Believe me, I can't wait to get home from work. I think the electrician will step up and he told me he would pay but who really knows until the time comes.

My insurance agent said that a claim on comprehensive won't make your premiums go up. He said its like hitting a deer, no fault of the driver and the deer won't pay. So, if insurance is required at least that's a relief.

As soon as I get home and have a chance to look at it, I will let you all know and you might have more suggestions for me. Again thanks all for the assistance.