Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That last picture shows multiple wires connected to the black wire, looking like it feeds electricity to other lights. Check it out good with your test light.
Yes -- the order of the pictures is actually backwards. I'm pretty sure the light in the top picture is the end of that circuit. The light in the middle picture is the 2nd of the three lights and the light in the bottom picture is the beginning of the circuit which in turn feeds the other two lights.

I've ordered a test light that should be here Monday and then I'll be able to make some headway with this problem. At least I'll know what goes where!

Thanks for chiming in on this!

Mo
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #42

moshe1436, I am 99 percent sure that the white wire is ground. Tomorrow when it’s daylight I will check for sure on our Rockwood 2504s. The wire nuts shown in your pictures holding several wires together can come loose inside pretty easy. When you get your test light ground the wire for the light AT THE BATTERY negative terminal and Check for power at the crimped place with the 2 black wires and the white with stripe wire first. Wiggle the connection and see what happens. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
moshe1436, I am 99 percent sure that the white wire is ground. Tomorrow when it’s daylight I will check for sure on our Rockwood 2504s. The wire nuts shown in your pictures holding several wires together can come loose inside pretty easy. When you get your test light ground the wire for the light AT THE BATTERY negative terminal and Check for power at the crimped place with the 2 black wires and the white with stripe wire first. Wiggle the connection and see what happens. Jay
Jay -- Thanks and I agree the white wire has to be the ground. I will do that test when I get the light and time to mess with it.

Mo
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #44
clr

The white wire is the ground wire in my unit and the white wire with the red stripe is the 12V hot wire. I agree with Jay I would start at the connector in the bottom picture.
This may sound crazy but if you do not have power at that connector you may have this power lead disconnected on the rear of the light in your storage compartment. In chasing my light power problem I determined that the 12V power for some of the overhead lights whent from the fuse box to the storage compartment light and then up to the inside overhead lights.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
The white wire is the ground wire in my unit and the white wire with the red stripe is the 12V hot wire. I agree with Jay I would start at the connector in the bottom picture.
This may sound crazy but if you do not have power at that connector you may have this power lead disconnected on the rear of the light in your storage compartment. In chasing my light power problem I determined that the 12V power for some of the overhead lights whent from the fuse box to the storage compartment light and then up to the inside overhead lights.
Very interesting! When I get around to doing this I definitely will check what you suggested. Hard to believe the logic behind some of the decisions they make when putting these trailers together!

Thanks

Mo
Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #46
clr

Well good luck on finding the cause of your problem, it normally is something very simple that is causing the problem.
Yep I thought the wiring route somewhat weird in my unit but normally it is the shortest and easiest route. I mentioned the storage compartment light because in my case the light had an integral light switch and the power came in via a push on type terminal and left on the same connector via a push on terminal. Push on terminals are very easy to get loose or come off especially if you ever moved the panel in the storage compartment.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #47

Just confirmed today that white is for sure ground. On my unit (2504s) there are no cargo compartment lights. I also agree to start at the connection in the bottom photo after making sure that the ground is ok. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #48

Lights not working

Well -- I have lights!!! I get a 20' wire and connected it to the neg battery and checked the wires in the light that all the others took off from with the new test light I bought. I found 12v to the light and figured out where it wasn't connecting. Presto - I had light there. Then on to the next light and found one of the wires was not pushed in tight enough to the connectors on the back of the light -- then I got light there. Lastly I went to the light over the bed and tested that for power and had 12v but no light. I figures out the problem here was the wire connectors on the bulb were so out of place they were touching the contacts in the socket. Fixed that and I got light. So it was a combination of different problems with each light but what saved it was the new test light and the long wire from the battery neg terminal. Never had to do use the battery pos terminal.

A BIG thanks to all who guided me in the right direction, especially Jay2504 and "clr" whose comments and suggestions really helped and the others that chimed in on my issue. Really appreciate everyone continuing to hang in there with me.

Mo
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #49

Test lights are a great tool. Glad you found the issues.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Test lights are a great tool. Glad you found the issues.
Yes and the test light with the multi-meter it's a necessary combination. Thanks for your help.