Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #41

I've seen a couple of head's-up in this thread:
1) Beware the lack of "ampacity" of using Copper Clad Al CCA wire meant for AUDIO for carrying REAL current!!!. Cu only. Abrasion resistant insulated wire is often available at your local electrical supply company for about a buck a foot, solid OR stranded. (Solid only where install is permanent and not subject to flexing, and in conduit)
2) For the "running AC idea" I would hesitate to run 110v using house wiring under a vehicle chassis or a TT chassis. With no true "earth" ground between it and Inverter, too many chances (wearing thru insulation, rodent damage) for high voltage to get loose and, well, kill somebody. If you wanted to do like I did, DEEP Cycle BATTs and Inverter in TV bed, place in PVC conduit just like you would outdoors following the NEC book with a flex section of welding cable between TT and TV and water-tight junction boxes/hubble plugs. Alaso take note: W/O a true "earth-ground" supplied by shore-power, GFCI outlets in the TT may not work properly. Be sure to test them.
3) When I got a super deal on 6-AWG Black conductor for 50-amps AC,,, like 38 cents a foot at Rexal Electric contractor supply vs 86 cents a foot at Lowes, I use 3M tape wrapped around the wire at the ends to ID the role of the wire - whether a hot leg (Red) or neutral (white). If 220v, obviously blk can stay blk...
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #42
Consumer of Space

I used a hammer crimper on cables used to put in my 6 golf cart batteries. I tend to use a 5 lb hand sledge and hit it multiple times. The crimps come out as good or better than the large hand crimper we use in the refinery.

If you're trying to crimp 4/0 with a 16 oz hammer I can see how it might not work well. Three good smacks with a 5 lb (80 oz) hammer gets the job done just fine. It helps if you set the crimper on a surface with some mass and stability. I set mine on a 1' square of 2" plate that I have left over from another project.

5 lb hand hammers with a sledge type head can be found at Lowes or Home Depot.

I got my lugs off of Amazon, tin coated copper and same day delivery. I have a couple of the hammer crimpers, at least one came off of Amazon as well.

Tags
battery