Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Special solar connection on the roof of my 2018 E-Pro 19FD?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help figuring out what I need in terms of a roof mounted solar panel and controller for my 2018 E-Pro 19FD. I was told that the roof mounted solar connection was something unique to Forest River and not a universal connection, is that true? Also, even though it is a 2018 I did purchase it used and the previous owner removed the sticker that shows where the controller needs to be mounted in the wall. Any information on this would be great!
jjsheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #2

GoPower Panel Location

Hello,

I've attached a picture with the location of the Go Power Panel sticker.

The sticker does have a "cut-out" on it.

I am in the process of ordering everything to do the same install. I've have not cut out the wall.

The solar connectors should be standard - MC4 based on my research. I hope that I am right. The panel I ordered should work out of the box.

I ordered the (expensive) Go Power controller from Amazon as it is a flush mount.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPower Image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	158204  
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

Smile Go Power and Solar Panel Install

A quick update on my installation of a Go Power solar power install on my E-Pro 19FD.

I received a Go Power GP-PWM-30 solar controller and All Powers 100 watt solar panel for Christmas. (Note: Other solar controllers should work. However, I wanted the OEM panel mount appearance)

I used the sticker on the wall as a template and cut on the "doted line". The wires were directly behind the cutout. The 2 wires going to the battery were covered with plastic connectors. (I used my cheap Harbor Freight oscillating tool with saw blade to easily cut through the wall.)

I used Eternabond tape to secure the panel to the roof. I removed the rubber dummy plugs from the roof connector and plugged in the mc4 connectors of the solar panel.

Basically, this was a simple plug and play installation and everything seems to work fine.

Sorry no pictures.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

what is behind the sticker on the wall? Is is correct, the wires running from the roof solar panel connections will be found there? Are they solid wires or just rolled up? Where do these wires run to? I am going to add solar panels and can't find any info for the wiring in My camper 2018 19FD. Thanks for the help. les
L.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

The wires run up to the roof for the panel, and down and forward to the battery box. DGrissom is correct, MC4 connections on roof.

Quote:
what is behind the sticker on the wall? Is is correct, the wires running from the roof solar panel connections will be found there?
DGrissom answered this in the post before yours.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #6

In my installation, the wires were properly connected to my battery. You may want to check their voltages with a meter.

Also, the flexible panel that I purchased failed and was replaced in warranty. It to failed.

I do not recommend Eternabond tape to secure the panel anymore. It holds extremely well. However, it's difficult to remove to replace panels and has stretched some of the roofing membrane.

I've replaced my flexible panel with a low cost non-flexible panel. (Brackets with screws and self leveling sealant).

Fingers crossed, it seems to work well so far. I will mount a second panel in front of it in the near future.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have the OEM Go Power flexible panel that came mounted to roof, looks like there is spacers between panel and roof where it is screwed on, stuff washes out from beneath it when I go up there to clean roof and panel.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks!! So if I understand correctly, you have to cut those wires to add the controller and monitor, but they do not have to be installed where the sticker is located. THANKS AGAIN!! I am very new to this and really appreciate the groups help!! les
L.C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, solar