Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #21

If a good friend of ours stayed for a couple of days or a week or two, taking the wife and I out for pizza and a few beers would be nice. Can't imagine accepting or wanting cash to cover electric. I would enjoy their company.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #22

You say they are "good friends".....

just tell them you want to pay your fair share for electricity and go from there
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #23

The wire and box are going to cost way more then one months worth of electric. I hope they camp and have use for it, id be more worried about the cost of the install not the power bill.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
The wire and box are going to cost way more then one months worth of electric. I hope they camp and have use for it, id be more worried about the cost of the install not the power bill.
I have Not heard who is Paying for the Install,have you? Youroo!!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #25

When we lived in our TT while building our house, our electric bill on a meter at the campground we were in was $60 a month. That was from early spring until fall. I am guessing their rate had a mark up in it.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #26

At my marina the charge is 3.50 a day for 30 amp and cut to 1.75 a day on a monthly basis. I'd suggest just taking good friends out for a nice meal once a month.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #27

My first thought is not usage but that 30 amp plug; is it truly 110 circuit, NOT a 220? Recent and multiple horror experiences on the forum would suggest verification to be sure that the service is 110.
Ram2500 diesel 4x4 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #28

The 30amp RV plug is "not yet" installed. I would be paying to have it installed. It's only $40 or so from homedepot. That said, I would be hiring an electrician to 'correctly' wire it into their home power using the pdf found on this website.

As for a meter, there are some excellent ideas here I hadn't thought of, but I think in the end...

"lets see the bill from last year, how much did it go up? I pay the difference."

We will be using their house as our "home base" for when we travel and have mail delivered to their address for now. The real reason we can't live there for months and months is because I have no way to dump black tank except for a blueboy and then tow it over to their neighbors property to do the dump in their septic. It's a strange situation, but it's able to work for the short term and a few weeks. But long term we will be on the road with full hookups...

At times I can see us living there for a month or two at a time and then getting on the road for the duration of the year.

Again thanks for all your input!

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #29
Site Team

Not starting anything, but taking last years bill isn't a good way to figure out this years usage. For instance if you take the bill for this year, which has been extremely cold, and look at the bill for the same time last year, which was extremely mild, You'd have one hefty bill if you paid the difference. And if you took this years bill and compared it to next years bill. If it's a mild year next year, they'd owe you money.
Just saying.

I'd go with the cheap kwh meter or make some other firm arrangement to cover the cost.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Not starting anything, but taking last years bill isn't a good way to figure out this years usage. For instance if you take the bill for this year, which has been extremely cold, and look at the bill for the same time last year, which was extremely mild, You'd have one hefty bill if you paid the difference. And if you took this years bill and compared it to next years bill. If it's a mild year next year, they'd owe you money.
Just saying.

I'd go with the cheap kwh meter or make some other firm arrangement to cover the cost.
X2... only to insure the friendship. I have a meter on my shop and the minimum charge is about $10 a month. I got a wild hair and put an electric heater in the RV one time set at cold as heck. The next bill went up $40....I unplugged the heater. I would pay ?X the "normal rate" or add a meter. Nothing will destroy a friendship faster than a man's family, money or his livelihood. YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #31

I've stayed at parks for a month were I had to pay for electric and it was usually between $80 & $100 for the month. That always depends on how much you us you're AC. So just take the money it would cost for a meter and give that to your friends. They probably won't accept it anyway.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Or, as gesture of good will, to say thanks for letting you use the property, as well as whatever water usage, just offer to pay the whole electric bill for the months you're there. Yes, you're paying for more than you use, but your friend should recognize and appreciate that.

Course that's easy for me to say when it's not my money I'm offering for you to spend.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #33

Just leave $100.0 bill somewhere with a note of thanks and be done with it
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #34

You can get liquid waste holding tanks and have it pumped out when needed. This is what my DH just suggested to my DH because they are going to stay in an RV while their house is built. I just googled it and Johnny on the Spot is just one company who will do it. I don’t know the cost.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
...my DH just suggested to my DH..
"My (dear husband) just suggested to my (dear husband)..."

So.... you're Momon?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #36

https://www.powermeterstore.com/P565...ower_meter.php