Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Storage Power drain

I have a 2015 38FB2 that I have in storage right now. I have the battery cutoff switch turned off to keep the batteries from being depleted but am concerned that there are systems that may be routed direct. Does anyone know if the propane detector or other systems might be direct wired? If so are there fuses that can be pulled to isolate them? Is the only way to truly Isolate them to disconnect a battery lead?

h60mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h60mo View Post
I have a 2015 38FB2 that I have in storage right now. I have the battery cutoff switch turned off to keep the batteries from being depleted but am concerned that there are systems that may be routed direct. Does anyone know if the propane detector or other systems might be direct wired? If so are there fuses that can be pulled to isolate them? Is the only way to truly Isolate them to disconnect a battery lead?
If you are not planning to use the trailer for a long period the best thing to do is to remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger at your house. Even with no load batteries will discharge over time and the water will have some evaporation and need checking. I don't know if this makes a difference in modern batteries but I still agitate them occasionally when sitting for long periods to keep the electrolyte mixed up.

If this is short term I found in my trailer even with the main 12V fuse removed some items such as the refrigerator control panel were still functional. Short of installing a battery bypass the only other viable alternative is to disconnect the battery.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

I don't plan on it being in storage for more than 3 to 4 weeks at a time but even with the four big 6 volt batteries installed I'm afraid a small draw can discharge them over this period. Can you use a 12 volt battery charger on four 6 volt batteries connected in a 12 volt load bank by connecting the positive lead on the first positive terminal and the negative to the last negative terminal?
h60mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h60mo View Post
I know my CO detector and Genisis Raido clock was by passed from the shut off. I just added a spst switch at each and turn them off much easier. Yes or take off your positive lead to the battery and all the other connections on that post.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

You would hook up trickle charger up just as you do the main lines to the trailer. I'm not sure of the power requirements of your setup as I only have a single 12V battery but you might need a beefier unit than you would find at WalMart or your auto store. You will still need to isolate the battery so anything running in the trailer would not draw while you are trying to charge. A disconnect switch or disconnecting the positive side would accomplish this.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Easiest thing to do is to hit the disconnect and then use an ampmeter to check if there's any residual draw. Most likely you won't find any and therefore won't have anything to worry about. Your batteries will be fine for 3-4 weeks like that. As long as they're fully charged when you put it in storage.

Now if you find you do have a drain, then it's time to be concerned, as those parasites can kill your batteries quickly. You could go around and identify which circuits are still live to try to figure it out, but the easiest thing would be to just install another disconnect right at the battery bank.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-ID220S-6V...connect+switch

Get one of these for 6 bucks. Easier than taking off negative! No need to trickle charge a battery that is fully charged when you park it for a few weeks.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, power, storage