Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Strain Relief for 50 amp cable.

Okay, so I've started the installation of the Progressive Industries EMS, and have run into a minor snag. Where the main 50 amp power cable enters the WFCO 8930 Power center, there is a gray plastic strain relief, and I'm trying to figure out how to release it. The answer is not obvious,(to me) so I thought I would ask here. I'm wanting to pull the oem 50 amp cable out of the breaker box so I can measure exactly how much new cable to purchase, depending on where I decide to mount the EMS box.
I have taken a picture with my phone and emailed it to myself, but its hung up in the ATT system somewhere. As soon as I get the pic on my home pc, I'll attempt to post it here. But in the meantime, has anyone run into this? I may be able to just unthread the whole fitting and replace it with a better one, but that dang 6 guage wire is tough to handle.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Strain Relief for 50 amp cable.

I wonder, why does everyone try to remove the wiring from the panel?

Why not just cut the wire, and install??

I do understand, some may be harder to access than others.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

Does it look like attached picture? If so it will need to be squeezed (with pliers most likely) to push from hole then as picture shows pry open tab that locks onto cable preventing it from slipping.

Attached WF-8930/50 Installation Manual just for your reference.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO WF-8930.18-3-Operator-Manual.pdf (949.4 KB, 54 views)

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #4

X2 on the plug.. Mine was pretty reamed by the time I got it out. Replacements are readily available at most electrical supply retailers. Many thanks to FOrum member "Turbs" who walked me through EMS 50amp installation process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
Does it look like attached picture? If so it will need to be squeezed (with pliers most likely) to push from hole then as picture shows pry open tab that locks onto cable preventing it from slipping.

Attached WF-8930/50 Installation Manual just for your reference.
I'm familiar with that type, and have used a ton of them over the years. This one was pretty strange...ie...cheap. But I finally figured it out. There were two tabs that lock it into the box. Once I released those tabs, I was able to pull it out the back. The pressure tab that grips the cable was the tough part, so I just took some side cutters and cut it into pieces so I didn't lose any cable length.
The reason I had to get it out of the breaker box was that it had to be pulled through some access holes so I could recover the available "slack" in the cable. So I now have it pulled out, but my son and the grandkids came over, then it got dark, so I stopped for the day. I can now figure exactly where I'm going to mount it; buy enough cable to go from the EMS back to the breaker box, and then it's just a few connections and I'll be back in business.

Thanks guys
Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I wonder, why does everyone try to remove the wiring from the panel?

Why not just cut the wire, and install??

I do understand, some may be harder to access than others.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
X2. No need to buy more wire. Plus one less connection. Cutting the wire makes installation much easier.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
For a little added length, use 4 plugs, 2 male and 2 female...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
X2. No need to buy more wire. Plus one less connection. Cutting the wire makes installation much easier.
Because of where I wanted to mount the "box", I needed to buy 6 feet of wire. Didn't get quite finished today, but I'm close. Had to do other things this morning, and spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on it. All I have to do now is re-terminate in the coach breaker box and tidy things up. What I didn't but should have anticipated was the difficulty of bending #6 romex in a short space. I would have bought SO cord, but they were out of it at the time. That HW50 box is a little to small. Progressive could have put the guts in a little larger box. Sure would have made my life easier.

Bob, you priced all those connectors lately? $$$$$. Nahh...I'll just wire it in. But I'll sure be glad to finish this. I'm not as good at climbing in and out of these fiver basements as I used to be.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Only reason I mentioned it was if you sell, you could unplug it and take it with you....and an added benefit would be if it lets the smoke guy out, you'd be able to by-pass it till it got repaired
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Because of where I wanted to mount the "box", I needed to buy 6 feet of wire. Didn't get quite finished today, but I'm close. Had to do other things this morning, and spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on it. All I have to do now is re-terminate in the coach breaker box and tidy things up. What I didn't but should have anticipated was the difficulty of bending #6 romex in a short space. I would have bought SO cord, but they were out of it at the time. That HW50 box is a little to small. Progressive could have put the guts in a little larger box. Sure would have made my life easier.

Bob, you priced all those connectors lately? $$$$$. Nahh...I'll just wire it in. But I'll sure be glad to finish this. I'm not as good at climbing in and out of these fiver basements as I used to be.
Seems like individual #6 wires would have been easier to route. Maybe not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Only reason I mentioned it was if you sell, you could unplug it and take it with you....and an added benefit would be if it lets the smoke guy out, you'd be able to by-pass it till it got repaired
The unit has a bypass mode, and if all else fails, I can pull the cable out and make splices....a bit of a pita, but do-able.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Seems like individual #6 wires would have been easier to route. Maybe not.
I'm just not comfortable doing that. To much moving and shaking going on in rv's to risk a wire becoming frayed. I like the heavy plastic jacket
around all 4 conductors.

Tags
50 amp