Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 642
Strain Relief for 50 amp cable.

Okay, so I've started the installation of the Progressive Industries EMS, and have run into a minor snag. Where the main 50 amp power cable enters the WFCO 8930 Power center, there is a gray plastic strain relief, and I'm trying to figure out how to release it. The answer is not obvious,(to me) so I thought I would ask here. I'm wanting to pull the oem 50 amp cable out of the breaker box so I can measure exactly how much new cable to purchase, depending on where I decide to mount the EMS box.
I have taken a picture with my phone and emailed it to myself, but its hung up in the ATT system somewhere. As soon as I get the pic on my home pc, I'll attempt to post it here. But in the meantime, has anyone run into this? I may be able to just unthread the whole fitting and replace it with a better one, but that dang 6 guage wire is tough to handle.
__________________

__________________
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Strain Relief for 50 amp cable.

I wonder, why does everyone try to remove the wiring from the panel?

Why not just cut the wire, and install??

I do understand, some may be harder to access than others.



2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Pathfinder75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 47
Does it look like attached picture? If so it will need to be squeezed (with pliers most likely) to push from hole then as picture shows pry open tab that locks onto cable preventing it from slipping.

Attached WF-8930/50 Installation Manual just for your reference.
Attached Images
 
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO WF-8930.18-3-Operator-Manual.pdf (949.4 KB, 23 views)
__________________
2017 Montana HC 353RL
2017 Ford F350 6.7L Dsl., CC, SWR, LB, B&W Companion #BWRVK3300 OEM Prep mtg.


Traded- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF
retired-TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jimsue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 299
X2 on the plug.. Mine was pretty reamed by the time I got it out. Replacements are readily available at most electrical supply retailers. Many thanks to FOrum member "Turbs" who walked me through EMS 50amp installation process.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2015 F350 Lariat Crewcab DPS SWD 4x4
2013 Sabre BKOK 31
Demco Hijacker Autoslid
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
Does it look like attached picture? If so it will need to be squeezed (with pliers most likely) to push from hole then as picture shows pry open tab that locks onto cable preventing it from slipping.

Attached WF-8930/50 Installation Manual just for your reference.
I'm familiar with that type, and have used a ton of them over the years. This one was pretty strange...ie...cheap. But I finally figured it out. There were two tabs that lock it into the box. Once I released those tabs, I was able to pull it out the back. The pressure tab that grips the cable was the tough part, so I just took some side cutters and cut it into pieces so I didn't lose any cable length.
The reason I had to get it out of the breaker box was that it had to be pulled through some access holes so I could recover the available "slack" in the cable. So I now have it pulled out, but my son and the grandkids came over, then it got dark, so I stopped for the day. I can now figure exactly where I'm going to mount it; buy enough cable to go from the EMS back to the breaker box, and then it's just a few connections and I'll be back in business.

Thanks guys
__________________
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I wonder, why does everyone try to remove the wiring from the panel?

Why not just cut the wire, and install??

I do understand, some may be harder to access than others.



2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
X2. No need to buy more wire. Plus one less connection. Cutting the wire makes installation much easier.
__________________
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
For a little added length, use 4 plugs, 2 male and 2 female...
__________________
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
X2. No need to buy more wire. Plus one less connection. Cutting the wire makes installation much easier.
Because of where I wanted to mount the "box", I needed to buy 6 feet of wire. Didn't get quite finished today, but I'm close. Had to do other things this morning, and spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on it. All I have to do now is re-terminate in the coach breaker box and tidy things up. What I didn't but should have anticipated was the difficulty of bending #6 romex in a short space. I would have bought SO cord, but they were out of it at the time. That HW50 box is a little to small. Progressive could have put the guts in a little larger box. Sure would have made my life easier.

Bob, you priced all those connectors lately? $$$$$. Nahh...I'll just wire it in. But I'll sure be glad to finish this. I'm not as good at climbing in and out of these fiver basements as I used to be.
__________________
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Only reason I mentioned it was if you sell, you could unplug it and take it with you....and an added benefit would be if it lets the smoke guy out, you'd be able to by-pass it till it got repaired
__________________
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Because of where I wanted to mount the "box", I needed to buy 6 feet of wire. Didn't get quite finished today, but I'm close. Had to do other things this morning, and spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on it. All I have to do now is re-terminate in the coach breaker box and tidy things up. What I didn't but should have anticipated was the difficulty of bending #6 romex in a short space. I would have bought SO cord, but they were out of it at the time. That HW50 box is a little to small. Progressive could have put the guts in a little larger box. Sure would have made my life easier.

Bob, you priced all those connectors lately? $$$$$. Nahh...I'll just wire it in. But I'll sure be glad to finish this. I'm not as good at climbing in and out of these fiver basements as I used to be.
Seems like individual #6 wires would have been easier to route. Maybe not.
__________________

__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50 amp

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.