Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
strange electrical problems

Just brought home our new 2015 Columbus 325 RL, yesterday. It is a 50 amp unit, but because our old unit was 30 amp, had to hook to it with a "y" adapter supplying 30 amps and 15 amps. Only turned on the lights and furnace in order not to draw too many amps. Everything worked great, all lights, furnace, slides, auto leveling. After two hours, went out and everything was off, except the lights on both microwaves. All electrical outlets have power, but that's it. I have power coming into the unit, no breakers are tripped, all 12 volt fuses are good. The batteries will not operate the slides or the leveling system. Haven't checked the batteries, since it got dark, but they are brand new. Called an electrician to come look, but he couldn't find the problem, but said he wasn't familiar with campers. Is there an electrical guru out there?
__________________

__________________
tommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy3 View Post
Just brought home our new 2015 Columbus 325 RL, yesterday. It is a 50 amp unit, but because our old unit was 30 amp, had to hook to it with a "y" adapter supplying 30 amps and 15 amps. Only turned on the lights and furnace in order not to draw too many amps. Everything worked great, all lights, furnace, slides, auto leveling. After two hours, went out and everything was off, except the lights on both microwaves. All electrical outlets have power, but that's it. I have power coming into the unit, no breakers are tripped, all 12 volt fuses are good. The batteries will not operate the slides or the leveling system. Haven't checked the batteries, since it got dark, but they are brand new. Called an electrician to come look, but he couldn't find the problem, but said he wasn't familiar with campers. Is there an electrical guru out there?

There is a battery cut off switch that needs to be "ON" to allow the battery to be charged. Otherwise, no 12v systems (slides, landing gear, interior lights, water pump, furnace, fridge etc.) will work. Look for a battery switch somewhere near the battery or in your UDC.


BTW - The battery switch needs to be on all the time, when towing and also when plugged into shore power. Otherwise, your battery will not charge and will not supply power to the unit including the breakaway switch while towing.
__________________

__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
There is a battery cut off switch that needs to be "ON" to allow the battery to be charged. Otherwise, no 12v systems (slides, landing gear, interior lights, water pump, furnace, fridge etc.) will work. Look for a battery switch somewhere near the battery or in your UDC.
This is true with only some RV's but many have converters that are always on line when powered with AC. Battery then is removed when switch is opened. Ops problem is most likely the resettable fuse in the cable -battery to DC panel-
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,903
Hold on a sec. I may have had a senior moment.

If the battery switch were off, then no 12v power would get OUT either so, the switch may not be the problem.

Now I'm leaning toward your source of power that you're plugged into. I had an issue at a CG once where 1 leg of the 50amp receptacle in the pedestal was "OUT". This meant that only "half" of my unit was getting A/C power. I found this out when only one of my Air Conditioners worked and then found about half of my 110v outlets were out also.

In your case, if you have a leg on your shore power out, it may be the leg that feeds the part of your power center that charges your battery.

Just throwing this out there for places for you to check.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
This is true with only some RV's but many have converters that are always on line when powered with AC. Battery then is removed when switch is opened. Ops problem is most likely the resettable fuse in the cable -battery to DC panel-
Yup.....caught myself in my previous post.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,552
I would start with your dog bone adapter. Sounds like you never had shore power to the RV. Try an AC outlet to see if it is live. Also check to make sure you did not have the WH set on elect and not have WH full. That will fry the heating element and can cause the house GFI to trip.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.