Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 16
Strange glitch of 12v system on shore power

When a voltmeter is connected to power socket at tv antenna, and connected to shore power. The display reads nothing and just flashes the 3 batt level led's. This is an automotive style power socket meter. When power cord is disconnected it reads batt voltage fine. As well as connected to TV, and charging etc.

So try a standard meter with leads...same results. Then I swapped the whole antenna amp plate with one I had on hand thinking there is some kind of malfunction with the plate amp thing. It does the same thing.

This is even the case when connected to a Honda EU2000 pure sine wave generator.

So why can I not get a voltage reading when connected to shore power???
__________________

__________________
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
What type of voltmeter?
What voltage scale are you using?
Have you tried reversing the leads when you test the socket?
Have you tried checking voltage across a battery? This will tell if you have a bad meter for starters.
Good luck
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
It would seem that since two different meters/methods were used to measure voltage and the meters used performed correctly when no shore power the meters are OK

A little more info regarding RV unit and power layout i.e.. converter/inverter,battery control centre & battery disconnect may help.

I'm sure some one on this forum will provide idea's
__________________
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
I used to use a similar plug in meter. Never had a problem unless on acceptance or equalize charge as the voltage went much higher. The meter was programmed for automotive voltages and when it went into acceptance mode (14.7 volts) the meter flashed, indication of an error.

Now onto your problem...thats weird. Have you checked the voltage on battery when on shore power? What voltage do you have before and after plugging into shore power? Could be the antenna socket is voltage protected, but I've never seen one.
__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
What type of voltmeter?
What voltage scale are you using?
Have you tried reversing the leads when you test the socket?
Have you tried checking voltage across a battery? This will tell if you have a bad meter for starters.
Good luck

I used a couple different meters a cheap lil china one. The plug in lcd, and a power probe III. All perform similarly. No voltage reading just flashing led's. Only react like that when on shore power. Battery power and everything reads normal.






Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
It would seem that since two different meters/methods were used to measure voltage and the meters used performed correctly when no shore power the meters are OK

A little more info regarding RV unit and power layout i.e.. converter/inverter,battery control centre & battery disconnect may help.

I'm sure some one on this forum will provide idea's

The converter I assume is the original, and essentially everything else appears to be factory also from the battery onward. No inverter, just the factory tank\batt panel. There is no disconnects etc.







Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I used to use a similar plug in meter. Never had a problem unless on acceptance or equalize charge as the voltage went much higher. The meter was programmed for automotive voltages and when it went into acceptance mode (14.7 volts) the meter flashed, indication of an error.

Now onto your problem...thats weird. Have you checked the voltage on battery when on shore power? What voltage do you have before and after plugging into shore power? Could be the antenna socket is voltage protected, but I've never seen one.

The battery reads normal voltages on the terminals. I would have to check again to get actual voltages but normal 12.9ish and high 13's I think when plugged in.


It is indeed very odd. I have worked with batteries and charging systems for many years and never seen a reaction like that from multiple meters. I have considered just replacing the converter as preventive maintenance, maybe that would solve the problem.
__________________
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.