Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

stumped over Outlet reset

I have a 171RBXl. 2018.
I overloaded the curcuit while on shore power. I had both outside outlets going and turned on the cofee maker inside next to the sink OOOPPPS
That tripped the breaker and GFI on the bathroom.
I only have one GFI outlet (in the bathroom) and it would not reset after turning off the power and resetting the breakers
I waited 1 minute, turned everything back on and still no power to any outlet except one. The only outlet that works is next to the door. All others are dead.
I then replaced the only GFI outlet in the bathroom and still nothing
I let it be as I was leaving the next day.
Then the next day when leaving I noticed my backup camera was not working either. So I am assuming a fuse is blown as well.

Does anyone have an accurate diagram/labeling of the fuses? I know from playing with the breakers, they are marked incorrectly
Thanks in advance
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Well for one, a GFCI outlet will not reset without power present. You need to work backwards with a meter.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Team

It is unlikely that the backup camera ( driven by the TV power) was impacted by a 120VAC issue. As for the 120VAC issue, check the path of that circuit from the distribution panel to the failed outlet. Many RVs use punch down type outlets because they are quick and easy to install. The problem is they don't always make a good connection and if a large amount of current is drawn through them, they will fail. It is likely the first outlet in the chain is the GFCI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #4

We’ve got a little older 2016 171RBXL. I lost power like this last trip. It ended up being the GFL was tripped in the bathroom. I don’t know why it killed the rest of the outlets.
DarChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

Thanks. You are correct... The backup camera is a whole other issue. I have a bad electronics weekend.... My trauck and TT cameras did not work
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
st4
from south Louisiana

Are you sure all breakers have been reset in the breaker panel? Turn all of the breakers all the way off and then back on again to make sure. Let us know if this does anything.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Team

The GFCI with the reset button is connected to one ore more down stream outlets to protect them. This is very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarChar View Post
We’ve got a little older 2016 171RBXL. I lost power like this last trip. It ended up being the GFL was tripped in the bathroom. I don’t know why it killed the rest of the outlets.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
D W

You say you replaced the GFI outlet? Did you ensure "LINE" & "LOAD" wires were correctly connected to new GFI outlet?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #9

Look at your breaker in the convertor box. You said that it 'blew' also, with the GFI .... When you reset it, you may have pulled it out a little and it lost some contact. With this in mind, with no 'power' going through the breaker at the convertor, power will not reach the GFI and there by you will not be able to 'reset' it. You may have replaced it for no reason.

(12volt will not hurt you... 120 can kill you. Be careful with the 120 side when plugged into shore power. This message is not to any one person, just a heads up reminder.)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

GFI reset

The GFI on our '05 Surveyor was in the bathroom and when tripped would kill everything but the microwave outlet and the AC.
Paul
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #11

Just happened to us on our trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Once I found the outlet in the bathroom was a gfi and tripped, I reset it and power was restored. We have a 2018 Coachman Freelander 21RS. Seems from reading these posts this is a common solution in a lot of different RV’s
Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
melmax

Hi there. I had a similar problem and it was a breaker on my invertor. If you have solar power you will have an invertor. Its probably hidden behind an access panel if you have one. There is a breaker button on the invertor that will feed your gfi and other outlets. Flip the breaker on the invertor then reset your gfi. Should be good.
melmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #13

Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seizethebay View Post
I have a 171RBXl. 2018.
I overloaded the curcuit while on shore power. I had both outside outlets going and turned on the cofee maker inside next to the sink OOOPPPS
That tripped the breaker and GFI on the bathroom.
I only have one GFI outlet (in the bathroom) and it would not reset after turning off the power and resetting the breakers
I waited 1 minute, turned everything back on and still no power to any outlet except one. The only outlet that works is next to the door. All others are dead.
I then replaced the only GFI outlet in the bathroom and still nothing
I let it be as I was leaving the next day.
Then the next day when leaving I noticed my backup camera was not working either. So I am assuming a fuse is blown as well.

Does anyone have an accurate diagram/labeling of the fuses? I know from playing with the breakers, they are marked incorrectly
Thanks in advance
Are you sure that you didn't pop the breaker on the pedestal (the campground outlet)?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

Check your breakers, on the panel located beneath the fridge. It sounds like you tripped a circuit breaker.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #15

Did you pull the breaker box out and check to make sure all wires are tight .because traveling can loosing the wires That had happen to me a while ago
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #16

To reset the breaker you need to first turn the breaker off, than turn it back to on

To reset the GFI you need to first press test on the GFI first, than press reset.

The GFI is the first outlet in line after the breaker. Every other outlet is than wired in series to, and protected by GFI (accept microwave, and probably not refreg outlet and 12v power converter outlet if you have the type that plugs in)
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote