Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #1

Stupid question - Generator & Shore Power

Forgive my ignorance as i am new to the Diesel Pusher life.

I have a Class A Diesel Pusher. If I am plugged i to a 30 or 50 amp hook up can i still run my generator while remaining to be plugged into shore power?

Not on a regular basis but for instance I am sometimes stationary for a few weeks and like to keep everything alive so i run generator for a short time. The generator is a Onan 8500.

Thank you.
VISUALFXWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VISUALFXWIZ View Post
Forgive my ignorance as i am new to the Diesel Pusher life.

I have a Class A Diesel Pusher. If I am plugged i to a 30 or 50 amp hook up can i still run my generator while remaining to be plugged into shore power?

Not on a regular basis but for instance I am sometimes stationary for a few weeks and like to keep everything alive so i run generator for a short time. The generator is a Onan 8500.

Thank you.
Not a stupid question since you don't know. I don't know for sure either as I don't have a generator in my 5er.

If you start your generator the coach should default to the gen and disconnect from Shore Power. The Transfer Switch does this. I'm told that RV's are built to Default to Gen power.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Yes, and power input will automatically switch over to the generator. When generator is shut down will switch back to shore power. Not sure why you want to do this though other than having more amperage available if shore power is 30 amp. I am not familiar with your MH so my input is for a typical motorhome setup. Shore power is default power source but generator has priority.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

several points to ponder, from an experienced diesel pusher owner, but it also applies to most any RV with an onboard generator, and ATS(auto transfer switch):

- the ATS in RVs is designed to 'default' to Generator power, if it is running, EVEN if you are already plugged into any type of external power, whether 50amp(100amp), 30amp, or a household outlet.
This means that you will be then using your generator's output rather than the external power you happen to be plugged into, EVEN if your generator output is LESS than what you are plugged into.

- Running a generator while you are plugged into Shore Power is not a problem, as many of us do this in order to exercise the generator when parked extensively for months and months. Generators, though, don't really need to be exercised any more often, every month or two is just fine.

- if your Coach also has an AGS(auto generator starter), then the loss of Shore Power will also provide you backup power, as the AGS will eventually crank and run the generator when the batteries fall below a set level. A good level to use is 12.0 Volts.
Your Inverter, if you leave it on even when on Shore Power, will then run most of your outlets and 120v items, TVs, residential Fridge, etc., if the Shore Power is lost, and the Generator is not yet running.

All of these systems are in place to provide an easy and seamless transition of power to your 'House'... giving you peace-of-mind even if you are away from the coach when something 'happens'. The RV park could lose power. The Shore Power breaker could trip. Etc. Sometimes, when this happens, you may not even realize you've lost shore power since the Inverter takes over and continues powering most everything. The only thing that might be a tip-off is that your roof Air Conditioners stop, since they are not powered thru the Inverter.

Have fun : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power, shore power