Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Surge protection

I was once again happy that I had a surge protector. I set up camp last night and hooked up to a post at the end of a row art the camp ground. At 6:30 this morning DW and I woke up to total quite. We realized that the fan we run at night wasn't running. At first I thought it had quit on us than I realized that the rest of the power was also gone. I went outside to check the pole and found my surge protector flashing red and showing a reverse Polarity. If the surge protector hadn't caught it who know what damage might have happen.
The camp ground moved me to a new site (a better one and things worked out from there.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

What model do you have?

http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Never leave home without it!

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I went outside to check the pole and found my surge protector flashing red and showing a reverse Polarity. If the surge protector hadn't caught it who know what damage might have happen.
Reverse polarity does not damage any appliances. Polarity is just one of many human safety layers. So many that a reverse polarity by itself does not threaten human life.

However, nobody changed the wires? Polarity does not reverse without a miswire. So what changed? That part is the mystery. Could be due to a safety ground that was always compromised. Or missing. That in combination with a fault at some other pole might explain it.

But reverse polarity does not damage any appliances.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
But reverse polarity does not damage any appliances.

If it was in fact reverse polarity, wouldn't that reverse the direction an appliance fan is normally running? Wouldn't that cause some damage if left too long?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If it was in fact reverse polarity, wouldn't that reverse the direction an appliance fan is normally running? Wouldn't that cause some damage if left too long?

Dave
No, because "reverse polarity" is really a misnomer. It is AC; the polarity is reversing 60 times a second anyway. In the AC world, "reverse polarity" means the hot and neutral are swapped, which generally causes no damage.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post

No, because "reverse polarity" is really a misnomer. It is AC; the polarity is reversing 60 times a second anyway. In the AC world, "reverse polarity" means the hot and neutral are swapped, which generally causes no damage.

Bob
unless you touch something grounded an something with a now hot ground. It's kinda good to know it happened, ergo the PI unit; don't ya think? And yes it would not blow any appliance, just a person.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
unless you touch something grounded an something with a now hot ground. It's kinda good to know it happened, ergo the PI unit; don't ya think? And yes it would not blow any appliance, just a person.
If hot and neutral are swapped, it doesn't mean ground will be hot.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
If hot and neutral are swapped, it doesn't mean ground will be hot.
Again, how did something that had normal polarity just suddenly change overnight? Nobody changed the wires. However if safety ground was always defective, then ground voltages might float. That ground, eventually floating towards 'hot', was eventually detected as reversed polarity.

Not a threat to appliances. But a possible threat to human life.

This is but one possible reason. However a failure without knowing why can be a prescription for future failures.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Again, how did something that had normal polarity just suddenly change overnight? Nobody changed the wires. However if safety ground was always defective, then ground voltages might float. That ground, eventually floating towards 'hot', was eventually detected as reversed polarity.

Not a threat to appliances. But a possible threat to human life.

This is but one possible reason. However a failure without knowing why can be a prescription for future failures.
That's a good point. Surge suppressors make the fault decisions based on the 3 lines, hot, neutral, and ground, with ground being a reference point. The only way it can determine a reverse condition is if it sees voltage on neutral relative to ground, or in this case, voltage on ground relative to neutral. If the ground is crappy and/or intermittent, it might be possible it interprets it as "reverse polarity". But you would think it would be smart enough to figure out it is a bad ground instead. I'm just guessing here. And I'm with you...to suddenly "reverse polarity", without someone physically moving wires, is very, very unlikely.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296