Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

yes you still buy a 50 amp EMS
cost varies by where you buy it. "amazon" Ebay etc etc or through actual manufacture.
very happy with purchase
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #42

Frank Autotransformer

Franks Autotranformer

I have used it in a lot of places and had to move because the power was wrong at the post. If you dont use franks please use something.

RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
Denver, CO

4 wires easy, color coded . Hardest part is wrestling w the 6 gauge wire.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
Denver, CO

Here's pics of the PI 50 install in my camper. It is very cool. I didn't make it unpluggable, bu probably should of.

By the way what does the little switch do on the side of the remote. It says off in one position and reads normal in the other.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
Denver, CO

Grrr. Here is pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	29202  
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
By the way what does the little switch do on the side of the remote. It says off in one position and reads normal in the other.
That's the "bypass". It tells the unit to turn on the power even when it's got an error code telling you that it doesn't think it should. "Off" means that the protection is off (eg, bypassed). Use that setting only if you've verified that there really is something wrong with the PI unit and nothing wrong with the power connections.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
That's the "bypass". It tells the unit to turn on the power even when it's got an error code telling you that it doesn't think it should. "Off" means that the protection is off (eg, bypassed). Use that setting only if you've verified that there really is something wrong with the PI unit and nothing wrong with the power connections.
Barry correct me iph I'm wrong but that switch just bypasses low and high voltage.
Surge suppression still works with switch to off.

Turbs
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Barry correct me iph I'm wrong but that switch just bypasses low and high voltage.
Surge suppression still works with switch to off.

Turbs
I think it's more correct to say that it bypasses anything that is an error code (which is more than just high/low voltage). And you're absolutely right that it does not turn off "Spike" suppression. Note that an E10 code means that you have no Spike suppression, bypassed or not.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #49

I have this 50 amp Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50
EMS-LCHW50C

It also has build-in bypass in case you blow your surge protection and still needs power. You then send in the surge circuit board that is replaced easily by plugging it into the main circuit board.
All other you have to replace or send the whole thing in for repair.
This has really protected my motrohome when I wa soutside the USA and the power was as high as 131 volts per leg. This shuts down until the power gets back in a normal range.
I installed it myself by cutting my main cable and installing inbetween.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 004.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	29207  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Denver, CO

Ahhh thanks. Will that prevent the need for a way to unplug it?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It also has build-in bypass in case you blow your surge protection and still needs power. You then send in the surge circuit board that is replaced easily by plugging it into the main circuit board.
When the "surge protection" (MOVs) blow, this turns on the E10 code but does NOT turn off power to your RV, so "Bypass" is unneeded in that case. The "bypass" is to bypass other error codes (and should only be done if you really know what you're doing or have been told to do it by PI tech support).
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #52

Quote:
I think only PI could tell you if it will *always* be possible to make repairs to components rather than having to send in the whole box.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Yes it is hard wired in and no one can steal it unless they breakin and rip it out. No one knows its there from the outside. That was another reson I bought it. It has a short delay when hooking up shore power and checks all the parameters before closing the contactor inside. Also the small led screen shows the voltage, amps, freq., and any past faults.

It was a great choice for me.
$289 on ebay with free shipping is a great price for the 50 amp version.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-...505#vi-content
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #54
Denver, CO

I did the hardware version, but turb's also put in disconnect and I'm wondering why if the switch turns it off.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #55

Quote:
I did the hardware version, but turb's also put in disconnect and I'm wondering why if the switch turns it off.
The disconnect connectors that Turbs has are great for the event that either a) Something were to happen where PI would need the entire unit sent in and you still want power or b) let's say you sell your rig and want to pull it out to move to your new one (or sell if you change and require a different EMS unit like moving from a 30 to a 50) just disconnect the PI and plug the wires together.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #56
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
The disconnect connectors that Turbs has are great for the event that either a) Something were to happen where PI would need the entire unit sent in and you still want power or b) let's say you sell your rig and want to pull it out to move to your new one (or sell if you change and require a different EMS unit like moving from a 30 to a 50) just disconnect the PI and plug the wires together.
Ahhhh. I see said der blind man.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #57

Quote:

Ahhhh. I see said der blind man.
Works like a champ too! I speak from experience (went from 30 amp to 50 amp) and I was able to remove and sell the PI pretty easily!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
When the "surge protection" (MOVs) blow, this turns on the E10 code but does NOT turn off power to your RV, so "Bypass" is unneeded in that case. The "bypass" is to bypass other error codes (and should only be done if you really know what you're doing or have been told to do it by PI tech support).
Thanks for the correction about if the MOV board blows.
I used the bypass wire one time when I needed power and the campground power was above the max limit of the device.
Either way it is worth the few $$'s
Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #59

Is this possible??? We purchased a Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C, we asked Camping World to install..... the following is from Camping World...."Since the surge protector has a display, it has to be mounted in a place where you can see it. If we mount it by the transfer switch, it will be hidden behind a wall and you will have zero access. So the tech needs to run wire from the transfer switch, to a place where it would be accessible to the human eye and not hidden away. The cost to install it is $423.00. We did not want to proceed unless we had authorization from you. Is this possible?????
That's a lot of $$$$ for an install?????
Bogey3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #60
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey3025 View Post
Is this possible??? We purchased a Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C, we asked Camping World to install..... the following is from Camping World...."Since the surge protector has a display, it has to be mounted in a place where you can see it. If we mount it by the transfer switch, it will be hidden behind a wall and you will have zero access. So the tech needs to run wire from the transfer switch, to a place where it would be accessible to the human eye and not hidden away. The cost to install it is $423.00. We did not want to proceed unless we had authorization from you. Is this possible?????
That's a lot of $$$$ for an install?????
Lol !
Mine took 30 minutes to install.
And my moniter panel is near the floor.
When I open my camper door and look in its at eye level.

Cw scam.