Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Surge protector

I know the old saying "You get what you pay for" but $300 to $400 is that really necessary? I know converters and wiring harnesses are expensive but will a realitively inexpensive surge protector do the job? Any recommendations? I am talking 30 amp hook up. Thanks for any advise. JT

Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #2

when you consider the cost of repairs not only for the converter, but other possible electrical equipment. TV, Microwave, Radio, Satellite, Air Conditioner. Then there is the downtime and possibility of ruining a long awaited trip, and being a long way from home. Think of house or car insurance, you only need it if something bad happens.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

There is more to a good surge and voltage protector than just surge protection. They protect against wiring faults at the CG (and can be programmed to hold the power off for up to 2 minutes when you plug in to prevent arcing at the pedestal) as well as over and under voltage conditions which happen far more than you would think. Our EMS HW30C kicked the power out to our trailer at 2 separate CG's last summer due to the voltage dropping below 100v. A condition like that can wreck you AC and numerous other devices if it goes on for awhile as an example the AC compressor will overheat. The list goes on. Do not kid yourself into thinking a cheap surge protector will do anything other than what it's name implies. Of course if you want the ultimate talk to Herk about the Franks Autoformer as it is the Rolls Royce of protection, hopefully there will be one of those in our unit this summer.

EMS-HW30C

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

I have a 30 amp surge protector and a 50 amp surge protector. I also have an autoformer. It's a 30 amp. May cost a few sheckles but a lot cheaper than when something bad happens to the electronics of your trailer.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Absofreekinlutely...

Franks Autotransformers

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

I see some complaints over in IRV2 forums about the Franks unit. I know nothing about it, but you probably want to do some research.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtant View Post
I know the old saying "You get what you pay for" but $300 to $400 is that really necessary? I know converters and wiring harnesses are expensive but will a realitively inexpensive surge protector do the job? Any recommendations? I am talking 30 amp hook up. Thanks for any advise. JT
No doubt the best cheap insurance for $300-400!

A friend of mine with a motorhome went to visit parents and setup his unit in their driveway, no SP...got a spike from the house over night...a week later & $7K it was repaired.
He runs a SP now and gladly rather replace $400 vs $7K in the future
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I see some complaints over in IRV2 forums about the Franks unit. I know nothing about it, but you probably want to do some research.
Not a member there. Could you PM me with a link?

I am EXTREMELY happy with mine.
I have also been on the phone with Frank (his number is in my review) if you have any questions about the unit or its warranty. Do NOT confuse his unit with the Hughes or AutoPower single stage boost autotransformers. The specs on the Franks blows those out of the water.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtant View Post
CW has the Surge Guard 30 AMP model with LCD display on sale for $259.99 (item # 58464). There are 25 reviews and while I didn't read all of them, most of them speak well of it.

I have the SG 50 AMP model with LCD and would not ever plug in without it.

YMMV.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

OK, I was PMed the link and will post it here:
Franks Voltage Booster, my 2-cents worth - iRV2 Forums

There is a BIG warning sticker on his units not to use them with the AC AND the water heater.

My camper has an ammeter I installed (you can see the install in my review link) that shows the current draw incoming to the camper - before the Franks so I can monitor it to avoid exceeding the FRANKS 30 amp peak current). If you are boosting you are converting amperage to voltage. Your camper can draw 30 amps before the camper's breaker trips, but the Franks "sees" more than 30 amps in that case if the power is low and you are boosting. This results in an over amperage condition and it shuts down until it cools off and resets its internal breaker.

My 15K AC draws 28 amps momentarily when the fan and compressor kick on at the same time - even when NOT boosting! (then drops within 2-3 seconds to 14 amps) If the water heater is running when the AC kicks on, it will trip mine off line too.

He was running TWO air conditions AND the water heater according to his rant.

He says he called Frank (a VERY sharp electrical engineer) and complained about it shutting down under these conditions. Frank most likely told him it was normal under those conditions and not to run the water heater. Frank probably did his best to explain it to him, but if he was as obnoxious as his rant implies; just gave up on him.
Lou
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1370.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	23033  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW