Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Careful:
Do your research. All Progressive Industry units do not protect against low voltage. I have a PI SSP50 and lost a microwave due to low voltage.
I wish I had paid a few bucks more and got the better unit.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #22

Another endorsement for the Progressive Industries EMS. I bought my 50 amp hard wired unit, with remote display, for less than $300.
Fairly easy to install. The hardest part is manipulating the #6 wires. Other than that it was a walk in the park. Lifetime warranty, made in the US and if you do need to replace anything (like I have) it is all modular. The part I need to replace is my own stupid fault, being that I inadvertently threw away the remote display with the packaging several weeks before I installed the unit. PI are mailing me the replacement next week.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
If you have a 30 amp you can just loop the cord thru a longer master lock and back around the trailer power cord, at least that's what I did on my 30 amp trailer

(This pic is of the lock shown on a welder cord, since I dont have the 30amp trailer or surge protector anymore.....you can get the idea though)

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
I bought the surge guard lock box. Its a little funky to get on the cables the first or second time, but the thief would have to cut through the cables to get it off. Hope he would be a stupid thief and forget to turn the breaker off first .

I see CW is now offering a free lock box with there sure guard. Internet special I think last week.

Cheers.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #24

I also have the lock but I don't think it would offer much protection if someone realy wanted it. Last October I had issues with my Progressive 50 Amp one, it had water inside and it took about 9 hours to let power thru. I bought a new one from Camping World for about $330 and sent the bad one back for repairs. In about two weeks they sent me a refurbished one that was in excellent shape and looked almost new. I now have two. I felt that I had to buy the second one because I was going to the Texas FROG Rally in Kerrville and I wouldn't hookup without one!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Nor would I.
I Like it because all I need do is plug it in, if I buy another trailer all I need do is a 30 second job of picking it out of one and placing it in the other.

Got a couple of pad locks and a chain on it hoping it does not grow legs.

And yes I use it even here at home.
Bought one of these as well this past off season. Got to use it this weekend on our first outing this camping season.

They were just firing up power to the camp sites after we arrived and setup. The maintenance fellow came over to check if we had power and saw the surge guard. Said that is one of the best investments we could make to protect our TT.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #26

[QUOTE=Old Bones;614532]Bought one of these as well this past off season. Got to use it this weekend on our first outing this camping season.

They were just firing up power to the camp sites after we arrived and setup. The maintenance fellow came over to check if we had power and saw the surge guard. Said that is one of the best investments we could make to protect our TT. [/QUOTE

Old Bones, I agree with him, and your decision to have one. I took a computer repair class at the local college here, and I can tell you just a little spike,surge whatever can ruin your day. Surge guard's aren't cheap, but the piece of mind is. You will here plenty of folks say that they've been camping for many years without one, and never had a problem.

I love the fact that I can plug it into the power box while I'm setting up, and I can watch the protector go through it's cycles and tests, and let you know before you even plug in if your good or not. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #27

Whj....

Something I need to know about at the CG in Kerrville???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #28

[QUOTE=Jammer3025;614572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
Bought one of these as well this past off season. Got to use it this weekend on our first outing this camping season.

They were just firing up power to the camp sites after we arrived and setup. The maintenance fellow came over to check if we had power and saw the surge guard. Said that is one of the best investments we could make to protect our TT. [/QUOTE

Old Bones, I agree with him, and your decision to have one. I took a computer repair class at the local college here, and I can tell you just a little spike,surge whatever can ruin your day. Surge guard's aren't cheap, but the piece of mind is. You will here plenty of folks say that they've been camping for many years without one, and never had a problem.

I love the fact that I can plug it into the power box while I'm setting up, and I can watch the protector go through it's cycles and tests, and let you know before you even plug in if your good or not. Just my $.02 worth.
I am not sorry we spent the money on it even though it has not needed to do it's job yet.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #29

^^^^ I'm with you Bro.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have found that, historically, makariosrv.com has the best price in progressive industries products. I have the PI hard wired 50amp EMS. Worth every penny.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #31

[QUOTE=Jammer3025;614572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post

Agree on all counts, Jammer. Once our trailer is in position, I plug the Progressive in, and let it go through the evaluation. I purchased the portable one, with all the bells and whistles, and use a padlock and chain to marry it to the power pedestal. Great peace of mind!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #32

I appreciate everyone's input and advice. I have decided I will go with the PI 50amp portable unit.

Thanks again.

Randy
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #33

Good choice
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

I am a big fan of the Frank's Autotransformer power line conditioner/surge suppressors. They do so much more than just protect your camper from surges, spikes, and bad power. They "fix it."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1369.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	52994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	52997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	52998  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
It also does more than just protect against surge. It has many other features such as high voltage or low voltage protection.
The term 'surge' has no consistent definition. For example, if it protects from a low voltage (below 104 volts), it does surge protection. If it protects from a polarity reversal, that is surge protection. Different devices protect from different type of surges. The term surge is easily subverted by what is told to layman.

Protecting from high voltage, low voltage, open neutral, and missing safety ground are desired and done by that Progressive. But appreciate what they define as Mode Surge Protection. It only claims to protect from a type of surge that typically does not damage appliances. It cannot protect from a typically destructive surge (transient).

For example, let's say a 4000 volt transient is incoming on a hot (black) wire. That protector will connected 4000 volts to all appliances via the black wire. And put maybe 3670 volts on the neutral (white) and safety ground (green) wires. It simply gives that transient even more potentially destrutive paths into appliances.

Another has described a protector cabled to the pole. That protector can protect from this destrutive transients IF connected low impedance (ie within feet) to earth ground. Your protector would be too far (too many feet) away.

The Progressive does protect from other and more common 'surges'. Since a typically destrutive transient is rare (maybe once every seven years), then you may not be concerned. However appreciate what it does and does not do. Subjective sales brochures will never be totally honest. Spec numbers say so much more.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #36

Plugged in at the CG we are at and it found a problem, called the office and the repairman fixed it ASAP but then ask me what it is for....