Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #31
Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
Bought one of these as well this past off season. Got to use it this weekend on our first outing this camping season.

They were just firing up power to the camp sites after we arrived and setup. The maintenance fellow came over to check if we had power and saw the surge guard. Said that is one of the best investments we could make to protect our TT. [/QUOTE

Old Bones, I agree with him, and your decision to have one. I took a computer repair class at the local college here, and I can tell you just a little spike,surge whatever can ruin your day. Surge guard's aren't cheap, but the piece of mind is. You will here plenty of folks say that they've been camping for many years without one, and never had a problem.

I love the fact that I can plug it into the power box while I'm setting up, and I can watch the protector go through it's cycles and tests, and let you know before you even plug in if your good or not. Just my $.02 worth.
Agree on all counts, Jammer. Once our trailer is in position, I plug the Progressive in, and let it go through the evaluation. I purchased the portable one, with all the bells and whistles, and use a padlock and chain to marry it to the power pedestal. Great peace of mind!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #32
I appreciate everyone's input and advice. I have decided I will go with the PI 50amp portable unit.

Thanks again.

Randy in Texas
TV - 2014 Chevy Silverado
TT - 2014 Palomino Puma 28DSBS
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #33
Good choice
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou
I am a big fan of the Frank's Autotransformer power line conditioner/surge suppressors. They do so much more than just protect your camper from surges, spikes, and bad power. They "fix it."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1369.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	52994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	52997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	52998  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
It also does more than just protect against surge. It has many other features such as high voltage or low voltage protection.
The term 'surge' has no consistent definition. For example, if it protects from a low voltage (below 104 volts), it does surge protection. If it protects from a polarity reversal, that is surge protection. Different devices protect from different type of surges. The term surge is easily subverted by what is told to layman.

Protecting from high voltage, low voltage, open neutral, and missing safety ground are desired and done by that Progressive. But appreciate what they define as Mode Surge Protection. It only claims to protect from a type of surge that typically does not damage appliances. It cannot protect from a typically destructive surge (transient).

For example, let's say a 4000 volt transient is incoming on a hot (black) wire. That protector will connected 4000 volts to all appliances via the black wire. And put maybe 3670 volts on the neutral (white) and safety ground (green) wires. It simply gives that transient even more potentially destrutive paths into appliances.

Another has described a protector cabled to the pole. That protector can protect from this destrutive transients IF connected low impedance (ie within feet) to earth ground. Your protector would be too far (too many feet) away.

The Progressive does protect from other and more common 'surges'. Since a typically destrutive transient is rare (maybe once every seven years), then you may not be concerned. However appreciate what it does and does not do. Subjective sales brochures will never be totally honest. Spec numbers say so much more.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #36

Plugged in at the CG we are at and it found a problem, called the office and the repairman fixed it ASAP but then ask me what it is for....

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote