Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
That's the one I have, from CW. I haven't had an issue with mine, but one of the major differences with the Progressive units is it's lifetime warranty. I don't have that with the Surge Guard one.
Granted that they only come with a 2 year, but if it breaks CW will replace it, they are very good about that. I returned or replaced a lot of stuff out of warranty by CW. Sure I pay a little more being a brick and mortar store but they will just about replace anything in or out warranty. At Least that has been my experience. Progressive is a great unit that shows a lot of info. but you still have a good one. Had revised polarity at the last CG the unit showed it and would not kick in until the wires were changed. The CG owner didn't know that just switching the black and white wire changes it. I don't know how many people before me plugged into that. I plugged into both sides of me and didn't have it only that space........
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
You guys have me scared to put a hard wired one in my new rig with all the melt down story's. Is it from a defective surge protector of caused from faulty CG power. If its from faulty CG power shouldn't the surge protector shut it off instead of having a melt down or was it caused by a loose wiring connection at the protector. Any help with this because these surge protectors aren't cheep. Thanks for any input on this.
__________________

__________________
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
You guys have me scared to put a hard wired one in my new rig with all the melt down story's. Is it from a defective surge protector of caused from faulty CG power. If its from faulty CG power shouldn't the surge protector shut it off instead of having a melt down or was it caused by a loose wiring connection at the protector. Any help with this because these surge protectors aren't cheep. Thanks for any input on this.
I highly doubt the cause is "from" the surge protector.

Low voltage and in turn high amps cause heat along with bad connections.

I've not ever heard of anyone say that there electrical was fried from the pedestal to the hardwired ems.

you guys are WAY over thinking this!



TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I highly doubt the cause is "from" the surge protector.

Low voltage and in turn high amps cause heat along with bad connections.

I've not ever heard of anyone say that there electrical was fried from the pedestal to the hardwired ems.

you guys are WAY over thinking this!



TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Thanks I was thinking the same thing loose connection causing the melt down not a faulty surge protector.
__________________
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #35
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's insane, what would happen If like I bought it and sent it to you in Canada as a present? Besides the normal shipping charge to you? By the way do they have anything like the USPO or UPS? I really do not know, but sure would be glad to do it for you......
If, by USPO, you mean the post office, yes we have Canada Post that's the same as your postal service. UPS and FedEx deliver up here, too. Anything that crosses the border via courier gets sent to a "broker" at the border and they look after customs clearance. Brokerage fees are outrageous - usually at least $40. Then, add in the exchange rate (an extra 9 cents per dollar today) and it's hard to find a bargain by ordering online from the US.

I've had car parts shipped via USPS marked as "used parts" and they are not subject to "duty" charges at the border. Personal packages are not subject to duty charges either if they say made in US, Mexico or Canada on the package, or if they don't say the contents are made elsewhere. Shipping by Postal service is usually much cheaper than a courier but may take longer.

Didn't mean to high jack this thread, sorry.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer WDH
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 568
Don't you ever drive South of the border or have anyone travel North (by car) to visit?
Get a big A-S list together. Make a friend at the border.
__________________

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Don't you ever drive South of the border or have anyone travel North (by car) to visit?
Get a big A-S list together. Make a friend at the border.

I cross the border all the time, I'm only 20 minutes away. Problem in this particular thread is items that need to be shipped, like the Progressive Industries units. If I can find it in a brick and mortar store than I've got no problem buying stateside. Hence why I have a Surge Guard instead of a PI.



Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #38
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,905
Shipping by USPS International First Class Mail for my EMS-HW30C was $34.15 and no duty or brokerage fees. It would cost me more than that to drive one way to the border from where I live. I'm not aware of anyone selling their products or anything similar on this side of the border and the total cost was less than a Surge Guard bought locally.
__________________
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If, by USPO, you mean the post office, yes we have Canada Post that's the same as your postal service. UPS and FedEx deliver up here, too. Anything that crosses the border via courier gets sent to a "broker" at the border and they look after customs clearance. Brokerage fees are outrageous - usually at least $40. Then, add in the exchange rate (an extra 9 cents per dollar today) and it's hard to find a bargain by ordering online from the US.

I've had car parts shipped via USPS marked as "used parts" and they are not subject to "duty" charges at the border. Personal packages are not subject to duty charges either if they say made in US, Mexico or Canada on the package, or if they don't say the contents are made elsewhere. Shipping by Postal service is usually much cheaper than a courier but may take longer.

Didn't mean to high jack this thread, sorry.
Well if I understand you correctly, then I can buy it and send to you from my PO here in Clarksville and you will get it plus postage only. I'll be glad to do it for you...
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
While I'd prefer a hardwire, I also know that we won't be long in this TT. Heck, the DW was already looking through the 5er's at Goshen and asking what it would take up update the truck.

So, when I bought my unit, I went with an external 30A for the resale value. I figured that if we did change, we'll probably be going from 30 to 50, and then I'd either be stuck with a 30A hardwire I couldn't put in the new rig, or i'd have to let it go with with the old rig where it wouldn't be factored into the trade in value. With an external unit, I can try to sell it independently to another camper who's still on 30, like my brother or a cousin or something.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we went with a Surge Guard because that's what was in stock at Camping World, and their reviews seemed "good enough". The preference would be for a Progressive Industries but they were exorbitant to try to ship to Canada and I couldn't find one in a local brick and motor store.
Progressive are not CSA approved and won't be sold in Canada according to 2 retailers I talked too. I purchased a Camco copy of the Progressive at Goshen Discount Camper Mart for $150, same protection.

I bet the 5th wheel with a bunk house was on the DW list for the kids. If i had little ones I would opt for that for sure!
__________________

__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.