Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #61

Nah, not going that route now turbs, I'd still have to remove the hardwires from the unit itself. I just hope they send a UPS call tag to take care of the shipping charge. I shouldn't have to eat that.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #62
RKR

For you guys that installed the hard wired Progressive EMS system. Where did you find your 50 amp inv line plugs. All I can find are the plugs that are 90 degree angled plugs.
Installing this on the weekend and am getting frustrated trying to find the proper plugs to make the system easily removable.
I've checked the local Lowes and HD and did some online hunting.
I'm no electrician but can find my way around a tool box. It doesn't look hard to install and the paperwork that came with the system makes it look pretty cut and dry.

Sent from a high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Watch ebay you can get super deals on 50 amp if you watch.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...162662&alt=web

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #64

B and B, I don't know who you were talking to that Progressive's are not CSA approved and not for sale in Canada I bought mine at Owasco RV in Whitby. They had to order it, took two days to get and Full CSA approval on it.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #65
Canadian Member

jfrauts, what did Owasco charge you for it and what model did you get?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #66

itat, I got the EMS-PT30C paid $386.05 ( CANADIAN $ )
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #67
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Watch ebay you can get super deals on 50 amp if you watch.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...162662&alt=web

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Thanks Turbs. That's what I was pulling up but I thought they were wrong. I just went out to the 5er noticed that they will work.
Like I said , I'm no electrician but I'll get it done.

Thanks bud

Sent from a high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #68

I just got my Progressive 50Amp Surge protector EMS-LCHW50 in the mail yesturday from RV Parts Center for $278 it has the built in display on it. I'll post pics of the install after I put it in tonight after work.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I just got my Progressive 50Amp Surge protector EMS-LCHW50 in the mail yesturday from RV Parts Center for $278 it has the built in display on it. I'll post pics of the install after I put it in tonight after work.
Yeah pics are pretty much mandatory around here.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #70

My should arrive tomorrow from AdventureRV I went with the remote display model was $292.11 including delivery. If pics are mandatory I will try to remember to take some.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
My should arrive tomorrow from AdventureRV I went with the remote display model was $292.11 including delivery. If pics are mandatory I will try to remember to take some.
This is the only picture mandatory. Big man and shorty...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glencrop (1).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	62596  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #72

Installed my Progessive 50amp surge protector last night and wired it coming out of the transfer switch so I can have protection from the shore power and the generator. The wires above the the surge protector are just some satellite cables hanging there.

Name:	IMAG1605.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	62638

Name:	IMAG1615.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	62639
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #73
Papi

I was holding out for the Progressive 50 amp portable but when CW put the Surge Guard at $95 it made me go over the edge. I'll risk the lifetime warranty , etc for almost 1/3 the cost...they're probably dumping them...but it performs essentially the same functions without the digital readout (that I couldn't readout anyway). Good deal at $95!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #74
Mature Citizen

I have the 50 amp TRC Portable Surge Guard. I know it has saved me a couple of times. I made swag crimped safety cables for all of the connections to keep and least the impulse thief away. I think it is worth every penny of the cost. I would also prefer the hard wired model but had the portable left over from our first motor home so we are using that. The only real issue with this model is that some of the power hook ups are close to the ground and when you add this to it, your power connector ends up laying flat on the ground in the elements.

Darlene, Ralph and Pippin
LTC (USA Retired), W7TLD
2023 - 199 days, 6966 miles
2013 - 2019 - 901 days & 37171 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378 TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
I was holding out for the Progressive 50 amp portable but when CW put the Surge Guard at $95 it made me go over the edge. I'll risk the lifetime warranty , etc for almost 1/3 the cost...they're probably dumping them...but it performs essentially the same functions without the digital readout (that I couldn't readout anyway). Good deal at $95!
$95.00 worth of surge protection you'll get to! [emoji106]

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post

At $95 and without an LCD that's gotta be the lower end model. Be careful, I don't believe that one has all the same protection, like low voltage, that the higher end model has.

I had started a thread last year to find out what the difference was between the two called "difference between surge protection and power protection" or something like that. I'm mobile right now otherwise I'd look it up for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
I have the 50 amp TRC Portable Surge Guard. I know it has saved me a couple of times. I made swag crimped safety cables for all of the connections to keep and least the impulse thief away. I think it is worth every penny of the cost. I would also prefer the hard wired model but had the portable left over from our first motor home so we are using that. The only real issue with this model is that some of the power hook ups are close to the ground and when you add this to it, your power connector ends up laying flat on the ground in the elements.
I have the same problem, The unit is waterproofed, but the plug end to your power cord is not. I just cut a zip lock bad and put it inside for the rain purpose only to protect any water from entering the plug in end when I know it will rain or a lot of dew. Been working for me...Might be wrong but who knows. CW will warranty it they say for year, but mine went out after that and I took it back and gave me a new one.( besides I called TRC and they said just take it back and get new one) No questions asked They had my record in the computer when I purchased it far out of warranty, so They really do not question it. That is what is good about CW. I had chairs break and everything else, they always just gave me a new one. One exception when my awning pole ripped my carpet, they asked how it happened, I told them from the pole. I thought it was because of uneven ground and I tightened up to much. That's the only thing they wouldn't take care of. That's why I will pay a few bucks more to buy from them.... Now I put a 1/2" lenox block on the one pole that rests on the carpet.... I also still have just the surge protector, only problem as others have stated it will not show revised polarity, and open grounds also most important is that there is no time delay built in, so if your electric pops off and on and your compressor for the A/C did not equalize yet it will go out on internal over load. I keep it as spear it will still protect you from a surge. Wait til OC reads this I'm sure I will be wrong like every other post I make. But it will help.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #78

Surge suppression is the first step, power protection (inc surge suppression ) is better. Of course I'm a looker and not a doer, so I haven't purchased anything yet. But, will get the power protector when I get around to it since it not only handles surges but brown outs, open leg spikes, reversed neutrals and all the other bad things I've ever read about.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Surge suppression is the first step, power protection (inc surge suppression ) is better.
Define surge. Insufficient current resulting in a low voltage is too often called a surge. Slightly high but harmful voltage is called a surge. A microsecond high current spike is called a surge. Some surges are between two wires. Other surges come down any or all wires to connect to earth. The word surge is subjective. Therefore is used to promote some protectors that do almost nothing useful.

One rare and typically destructive surge hunts for a connection to earth. This may even conduct through tires. And will select which appliances to use as a destructive connection to earth. Critical to protecting from this type of surge is a protector as close to earth ground as possible (adjacent to the power pole). Protection increases with separation between protector and appliances.

Protection is compromised with any sharp wires bends and every foot increase in a connection between protector and earth ground compromised. Surge protectors without this earth ground do not claim to protect from that type of surge.

These protectors also cannot detect a missing earth ground.

Some protectors claim to protect from a microsecond voltage increase between two AC wires. That type of surge is typically so tiny (called noise) as to not cause appliance damage.

Of course, more common anomalies include insufficient current resulting in a low voltage (harmful to motorized appliances and not to electronics) or a slightly high but harmful voltage. A surge protector for campground power should disconnect power when these occur. And also report open neutral and reverse polarity.

Each and different surge should be defined by manufacturer specification numbers. Subjective claims are why some $10 protector can be sold for $100. Some assume is must be better only because it is more expensive and called a surge protector.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #80

You get what you pay for, investigate all devices before buying no matter what the price, science doesn't lie it reveals facts just like math.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4