Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Surge protector for home use ?

I did a pretty thorough search here in this sub-forum and while I found lots of info regarding surge protectors used in campgrounds I did not find any posts discussing the use of a protector when plugged in at home.

First of all, I do have a Southwire 50 amp Surge Guard (#34951) protector I use when plugged in at a campground. Currently (sorry, no pun intended) at home I plug into a 20 amp outlet inside a metal building with a concrete floor. I plan here shortly to wire a 30 amp RV outlet which I will use for winter storage and also for in-between trip storage. While my trailer is 50 amp this is only because it is pre-wired for a second A/C and only has one 15K unit installed. It’s unlikely I would ever run the A/C at home but the 30 amp would do it if needed.

So my questions for you who leave your units plugged in at home do you use a surge protector? If so, what do you use? I see a Camco surge only protector on Amazon for around $50 which I will attach a link to below. Personally I feel since my power at home is clean and built in 2016 to code of course I see my only risk is lightning surge type of events. You guys who understand electricity more than I do please chime in and advise me. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf
Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Do you use a surge protector for everything else in your house? If you answered no, don't bother just protecting your trailer while its at home.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Do you use a surge protector for everything else in your house? If you answered no, don't bother just protecting your trailer while its at home.
Yes and no, surge protectors for all electronics but nothing else.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Yes and no, surge protectors for all electronics but nothing else.
Personally, I don't have surge protectors on anything at home.

Also keep in mind that most home surge protectors are only a couple hundred joules so they are pretty much useless for a large event and if they have ever had much of a surge before, they are pretty much not protecting anything anymore.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
NXR

I installed an Eaton whole-house unit off the breaker box. Easy-peasey. One ganged 50-amp breaker with the wires to the Eaton unit as straight and and as short as possible. Has two green lights. If one goes out, it's time to replace it.

EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge Protection 3rd Edition, 2.38" Length, 5.25" Width 7.5" Height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQAKRSS..._8XrGDbG9SDEC1

Ray
Old 09-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I installed an Eaton whole-house unit off the breaker box. Easy-peasey. One ganged 50-amp breaker with the wires to the Eaton unit as straight and and as short as possible. Has two green lights. If one goes out, it's time to replace it.

EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge Protection 3rd Edition, 2.38" Length, 5.25" Width 7.5" Height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQAKRSS..._8XrGDbG9SDEC1

Ray
same here, my panel came with them already in it. easy to swap out and see if its protected or not.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Always Learning

Random note and you might know this already, but wehen you get that 30amp outlet installed, make sure you/the electrician knows that it’s a 120v outlet and not 220.

Why don’t you plan on using the same Surge Guard protector at home with adapters?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Random note and you might know this already, but wehen you get that 30amp outlet installed, make sure you/the electrician knows that it’s a 120v outlet and not 220.

Why don’t you plan on using the same Surge Guard protector at home with adapters?

This is a great suggestion. I checked and my Surge Guard info says it is fine with adapters. I already have the 30 to 50 adapter for the trailer end and could pick up a 50 to 30 for the receptacle end. I considered just wiring a 50 amp outlet but my main in the shop is only 50 amp. I only have lights and outlets installed in the building with no high amp usage, it’s more of a storage building than a work shop. I don’t want to use the 50 amp cord supplied with the trailer as it’s heavy and way longer than I need. I have a 25’ 30 amp extension cord from my last trailer that I use in the shop for storage.

For winter storage I plan to only power the converter (3 stage) and two de-humidity electric fans so the power draw will be low. There will be other draws such as the microwave clock but nothing much.

Regarding the 30amp outlet fortunately there is lots of info here on these pages that I have read plus I printed out this instruction sheet that wmtire posted. (Thanks to you and wmtire)

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf
Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

Surge protectors for your home are great except for two things. Most damaging surges come through the phone line or a lightning strike. I don't care what you use if you get a lightning strike!
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
Most damaging surges come through the phone line
Would love a citation for this. Even if it did, it's going to damage a phone or a modem and that's it. Maybe something that is also attached to the modem like a router.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Most damaging surges come through the phone line
Would love a citation for this. Even if it did, it's going to damage a phone or a modem and that's it.

I have personally never seen even that happening unless there is a very close lightning strike and no surge suppressor is going to help anyway.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

MICHELIN
DEFENDER LTX M/S
Highway All-Season
Size: LT265/60R20 121/118R E
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
Load Range: E
Serv. Desc: 121/118R .... here it is Thanks Frank
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
MICHELIN
DEFENDER LTX M/S
Highway All-Season
Size: LT265/60R20 121/118R E
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
Load Range: E
Serv. Desc: 121/118R .... here it is Thanks Frank
But do they come with surge protection?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #14

Off-Road: 8.1
Wet: 9.2
Dry: 9.3
Winter/Snow: 8.4
Comfort: 9.1
Treadwear: 8.8
8.8 / 10 Rating on Tire Rack 8.8 out of 10
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
But do they come with surge protection?
No No No .... need a good TPMS TST507
Old 09-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
No No No .... need a good TPMS TST507
Frank...read the title of this thread before you post anymore.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Frank...read the title of this thread before you post anymore.
Done ... glasses back on Thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
I did a pretty thorough search here in this sub-forum and while I found lots of info regarding surge protectors used in campgrounds I did not find any posts discussing the use of a protector when plugged in at home.

First of all, I do have a Southwire 50 amp Surge Guard (#34951) protector I use when plugged in at a campground. Currently (sorry, no pun intended) at home I plug into a 20 amp outlet inside a metal building with a concrete floor. I plan here shortly to wire a 30 amp RV outlet which I will use for winter storage and also for in-between trip storage. While my trailer is 50 amp this is only because it is pre-wired for a second A/C and only has one 15K unit installed. It’s unlikely I would ever run the A/C at home but the 30 amp would do it if needed.

So my questions for you who leave your units plugged in at home do you use a surge protector? If so, what do you use? I see a Camco surge only protector on Amazon for around $50 which I will attach a link to below. Personally I feel since my power at home is clean and built in 2016 to code of course I see my only risk is lightning surge type of events. You guys who understand electricity more than I do please chime in and advise me. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf
I do. I have two Progressive Industries units. I have three outlets in my garage: one wired for 30 amps and the other two for 50 amps.

But then I have two whole house surge protectors one on each of my 200 amp services. Why take the chance when for not a lot of money these things will sacrifice themselves in favor of thousands of dollars of electronics. I had one give up it's like for a $2400 television. I'm a believer.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #19

Actually in one and out the other

Quote:
Surge protectors for your home are great except for two things. Most damaging surges come through the phone line or a lightning strike. I don't care what you use if you get a lightning strike!
Lightning damage is like all other electricity. It needs a complete circuit. The damage comes from a difference in potential between two of the feeds to your house.

I referred to the strike that took out two phones, one internal house wiring span, a DSL modem, an ethernet switch, and ethernet cards from two computers as "in the phone line and out the electric service," but it could have just as easily been the other direction.

(This next part for the guys who insist that "ground is ground.")
At another time, I was sitting on a slightly damp concrete slab holding a metal-case circular saw with three-wire cord, plugged into a proper three-wire extension cord and into a proper three-wire outlet. Lightning struck very nearby. The flash and boom shocked me (it was that close!) but not as much as the shock I received from the metal-case saw. (Saw wasn't on.) What had happened was a difference in ground potential at the round pin of the three-wire cord and ground potential at the slab.

The most surprising part as I look back, is how strong the field must have been, because the slab was only a few feet from the service entrance and it's ground. It could easily have been 40 or 50 volts per meter.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #20

Surge Protector YES

I use the same surge protector I use at the campgrounds when I'm plugged into my 30 Amp service at home. We live in the Tampa FL area with many lightning strikes.

Also, my computers, TVs, entertainment center are all plugged into UPS's with surge protection.
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote