Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

Surge protector location?

Just bought the Progressive EMS HW50 with the remote display. I'm thinking of locating the unit in the cabinet housing the inverter/service panel and up line of the inverter/service panel. The remote display can easily reach the "command" area from this location.

Would this location cause over heating of the surge protector or other electrical units in the same cabinet?
Once installed, is there any reason to have easy access to the unit?
Is there a better location for the surge protector?

What are your thoughts?
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #2

Only my thoughts...those things get pretty warm. When I get the next one...I am going to mount in an open area or add some sort of a small quiet fan in there. Mine "smelled pretty loud" for a while also. I worried about the summer temps. If you have any doubts I would call PI. I had an expensive ProMariner Tournament 4 battery 20 amp each automatic DELUXE charger on my bass boat that failed twice..it turned out to be the weather in my area and I couldn't run the charger with the hatches closed. Go figure.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

I've got the same unit, just haven't got the trailer to install it yet. After talking with a few people that have one, they do get warm but not extremely hot. Some have added small pieces of wood under the unit and mounting it to the wood to get air flow around it. I'm probably not going to worry about it. Also, there should be no reason to access it at all (the main reason I opted for the remote unit...mine is going behind a screwed access panel between my furnace and converter) after installation unless something fries in it.

Tags
cat, location