Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

Unhappy Surge Protector Question

I'm thinking about getting a surge protector. I know just enough about electricity to avoid getting killed by it. I don't aspire to learn any more than I need to know. That said, the big dog in RV's seems to be Progressive Industries. On Amazon the prices range from $$$$$ down to about 80 bucks. My question is this will the inexpensive one save my new TT or should I spend the big bucks on all the bells & whistles even though I will never understand what it all means? Thanks in advance for all words of wisdom.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Always Learning

I'm be same as you- don't know enough to know better, but basically it came down to a Progressive Industries *EMS* or bust.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
clr

The basic level of surge protection is the same in both units. The differences are in the bells and whistles. If you want basic protection from most problems that you will see go with the basic unit. If you want to see exactly what is going on in real time and be able to see what is wrong from inside your unit go with the most expensive unit. The biggest difference between the two is that the less costly unit will not protect you from high/low voltage or power off frequency.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

No matter which model you choose I would buy from Progressive Ind . They stand behind their products .
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

How much do you want to spend for insurance. The progressive EMS protect all the electrical systems in your trailer. One bad campsite can cause havoc replacing air conditioner microwave tv etc. The progressive EMs also has a lifetime warranty.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Joenic53, I'm not sure what you mean. I will have plenty of insurance. But I don't want to double down on something I will never use. If I need the most expensive surge protector, that's fine. But if a lesser model will do the job and I don't have to become an engineer to use it, even better. It appears that all the Progressives have a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

How much would it cost to replace all your on board electronics - AC unit, furnace board, fridge, microwave, inverter, HWH, tv, stereo, etc? X2 on Progressive Industries EMS units. As long as your thinking of doing it you might as well do it right the first time.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
How much would it cost to replace all your on board electronics - AC unit, furnace board, fridge, microwave, inverter, HWH, tv, stereo, etc? X2 on Progressive Industries EMS units. As long as your thinking of doing it you might as well do it right the first time.
Yup X3
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
If I need the most expensive surge protector, that's fine. But if a lesser model will do the job and I don't have to become an engineer to use it, even better.
Number of anomalies that are called surges are more than you have fingers. No protector protects from all. Anomalies that are typically problematic in campgrounds include low voltage, high voltage, open neutral, and floating safety ground. A protector, at minimum, should protect from those anomalies by disconnecting power.

Many will discuss a long list of other anomalies including frequency variation, harmonics, missing earth ground, RFI, bad power factor, lightning, EMI/EMC, etc. Those are rarely a problem, are not detected by protectors, or are already made irrelevant by what is inside appliances.

Your concern is to avert problems now; not get insurance payments next month.

Does a protector you are considering at least do those basic minimums? Unfortunately, protector selection means first learning what various anomalies are to therefore judge which are most problematic.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

ok the difference between the base model SSP and the high end model EMS is as follows

SSP is a surge protector only
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
Mis-wired Pedestal Indication
Surge Failure Indicator
Thermally Protected

and the

EMS is an electrical management system
has all the features of the SSP plus
Oven/Under Voltage Protection (protects if the pedistal isnt getting the right voltage to your unit)
Accidental 240V Protection (even if you only have a 120v 30a unit and the park has an open neutral this can happen)
A/C Frequency Protection (here in the US we have 60hz and the electronics are setup to run on this if it getting the wrong frequency electronics can burn out even if your voltage is correct)
Time Delay (this to make sure power is stable before letting power go to your unit. if the EMS sees a problem or when you plug in it will watch power for 2min 16 sec{factory setting} before letting potental bad power flow)
Built-in Display
Previous Error Code
Locking Bracket (this is for the plug in unit so you can make sure its still there when you go to leave and doesnt grow legs)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

I appreciate all of the excellent responses. It is important to know your own limitations. (I have plenty).

Even though the jury seems to have reached a verdict, I must admit, I am still somewhat conflicted. In general, we can't insure against all possibilities.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #12

Considering how much we have tied up in our respective trailers or 5ers, the cost of the most protection is minor. I am not trying to tell you what to buy, just giving my opinion, which is what you asked.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNic View Post
Considering how much we have tied up in our respective trailers or 5ers, the cost of the most protection is minor. I am not trying to tell you what to buy, just giving my opinion, which is what you asked.
You are 100% correct. I think my main problem is in my own head. Spending $250 or $300 on something that may never do me any good . . . I feel the same way when I pay an insurance bill
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Surge Protector Question

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
Handy comparison guide!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #15

Thanks

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. We picked up our new TT yesterday afternoon. I'm ordering my EMS-PT30C today. I fought spending the money as long as I could. But as most of you know, if you ask for advice then don't take it, who is to blame when disaster strikes?

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein