Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Paradise115 View Post
It is useful for spikes, outages etc. It will delay your a.c. from coming back on immediately during a surge.. ... when you think of the electronics in the rv it is money well spent. It has saved me twice so far...paid for itself already.
Progressive does what it claims to do. That is not defined in this above quoted post.

Unfortunately, many assume a surge is any anomaly. For example, a blackout is not a surge. Those are two completely different anomalies. A most important feature of a Progressive is to cut off power when voltage gets too low. Low voltage does not harm any electronics. Low voltage is potentially destructive to motorized appliances - which is what the Progressive is protecting.

Lightning is a completely different anomaly - also called a surge. If the protector is not within feet of earth ground (ie attached at the pole), then it does not claim to protect from that type of surge.

Progressive only does what it claims to do. Most common risk in campgrounds is low voltage that threatens motorized appliances.

westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Progressive industries ems hardwired! So yes!

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
We're on a seasonal site and have a Progressive Industries unit. A small cost for the insurance and peace of mind it provides.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
As said above, good insurance. Some folks I know in Huntsville, AL, had their motorhome destroyed by a fire caused by an electrical problem that would have been prevented by a surge protector.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Originally Posted by kmcook View Post
Bringing home a brand new Sandpiper 376BHOK and the dealer told me I should buy a surge protector as I plan on keeping it hooked up at a campground full time. I've never heard of anyone having issues - but I am interested in protecting my investment. Your thoughts? Recommendations on type-how do you keep it dry and safe from being stolen? Thanks much - appreciate the wisdom of those that have been there - done that!!
Lets see, one surge, one blown laptop. Not to mention everything else that could be damaged. Yes it is cheap insurance. I have a PSI portable 30 amp unit and lock it to the power post with a heavy duty bicycle chain. Sure it could be stolen but so could the trailer if some one really want it. I have a heavy lock on my kingpin but it could be cut.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
I have a permanent unit that is mounted inside the trailer where the main power comes in from the outside. It was simple to install. Just cut the main power wire inside the trailer and install the unit between the two cut ends.

It has warned twice. First time was a bad ground at the campsite pedestal and the second time was a bad connection at the pedestal that was causing a low voltage condition. Definitely worth the roughly $200 I paid for it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Just a X50 to all the comments about getting a Progressive Electrical Management System. Just get it you will not regret it!

In fact I am seeing some of the newer units from Forest River having these put in at the factory (The New Vengeance Touring Edition Toy Haulers are a good example)
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
I have a portable and I bought a 25' 30amp extension cord on amazon for $30.00. I keep the surge protector locked in the storage compartment while the extention comes through the wall. No surge protector exposed to theft.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #20
I just had my Progressive cut my electricity off twice in the last hour. The read out code said it was due to low voltage. It not only saved me the cost of the repairs as a result of the damage it could have caused; but also a great inconvenience since we are about 1600 miles from home.

Terry and Carol
Daytona Beach, FL
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57; 2015 - 91; 2016 - 171
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote