Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #61

One thing nobody mentioned is that You all are describing what I would call an EMS, which measures low voltage and High voltage. But they also make just a surge guard for around $100 that just protects against Surges, I believe that it is made by SurgeGuard who also makes a more expensive unit that does the whole EMS thing.
Not sure which one the OP was refering to .
just my observation but I like the Progressive Industries one myself.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #62

The PI units guard against more than high and low voltages
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
You wouldn't have the stats for RV's damaged without surge protection units installed vs those with wrt lightning strikes in campgrounds by chance?
For homes, a typical surge (not to be confused with things that really are not surges such as low voltage, high voltage, blackout, reversed polarity, etc) might occur once every seven years. This number can vary significantly even in a same town due to factors such as geology, wire routing, properly earthed transformers, stray cars, rodents, buried pipelines, linemen errors, etc.

This is a massive and short current. Anything that foolishly tries to block or stop this current suffers a massive voltage increase that blows through that item. IOW this surge is completely different from many other anomalies, also subjectively called surges, that have no relationship to this anomaly. If the protector does not make a low impedance (ie within feet) connection to earth ground (not receptacle safety ground), then that protector does not claim to protect from this type of surge.

This type of "surge" is infrequent. And destructive depending on how the path that connects to earth..
westom is offline   Reply With Quote