Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
I just had my Progressive cut my electricity off twice in the last hour. The read out code said it was due to low voltage. It not only saved me the cost of the repairs as a result of the damage it could have caused; but also a great inconvenience since we are about 1600 miles from home.
30 amp trailer?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #22

Responce to Surge Protectors

Yes i would recommend one. But secure it with a large lock(big enough to go around the wire) and chain it to your trailer.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Yes i would recommend one. But secure it with a large lock(big enough to go around the wire) and chain it to your trailer.
Hardwired version requires no lock [emoji12]

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #24

On the Progressive units, when checking the low voltage, and low voltage detected, the unit cuts off the power. Do they come on automatically when power come back to normal or does one have to reset it manually? If it has to be reset, then if off all day, then could be refrigerator not come on and food lost. Also, if it does not come back on, and pets in camper, the camper could be get very hot due to loss of A/C.
It seems logical that it would come back on if voltage comes back on to normal.
I have been camping 20+ years all over, I have never had a Progressive type unit and never had a problem. Maybe I am playing Russian roulette. But it does seem like something good to have.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
On the Progressive units, when checking the low voltage, and low voltage detected, the unit cuts off the power. Do they come on automatically when power come back to normal or does one have to reset it manually? If it has to be reset, then if off all day, then could be refrigerator not come on and food lost. Also, if it does not come back on, and pets in camper, the camper could be get very hot due to loss of A/C.
I have been camping 20+ years all over, I have never had a Progressive type unit and never had a problem. Maybe I am playing Russian roulette. But it does seem like something good to have.
Comes back on automatically when power is @ a safe level.

While in Nashville 30 amp circuit was down to 103 volts on the moniter.
I unplugged and hooked up my 50 amp dogbone to the 50 amp side and had better voltage, 112v

If your fridge is on auto it'll kick to the gas side, unless of course you have a residential fridge.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #26

The OP was talking about using a surge protector because his camper was going to be hooked up full time. For those that don't know, it doesn't matter if the camper is hooked up full time or for 5 seconds. A surge protector is needed anytime the camper has power applied to it.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #27

I installed a Progressive Industries hard wired 30 amp EMS in our Sunseeker this past spring. During the following six week trip it shut off power several times.

Once when the voltage dropped too low at a full campground with everyone running air conditioners.

Several times when we went over 30 amps, usually when the lady ran her hair dryer with the water heater and heat pump going. The EMS always tripped before either the pedestal breaker or the coach main breaker, and it reset after its 2 minute time delay.

Once it gave an error code when I hooked up to a pedestal, and would not allow power to the coach. The error code indicated an open ground. I double checked with my plug-in circuit tester for 110 volt 15 amp receptacles, and it confirmed the open ground. I moved to another site and notified the park owner. Later that day he came and we found and fixed the problem at the pedestal. He was quite happy that I had found the problem before there was an incident, and that he didn't have to call an electrician to fix it.

We've had our Sunseeker for four years, used it over 400 nights, in at least 150 different campgrounds, and there's no telling how many times we've plugged into a pedestal that had a problem and we didn't know it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #28

Progressive industries ems hardwired! Got it as a gift and replaced the portable one. I like not having to take the few extra steps to put the portable and lock on when first arriving at the CG and in a hurry to pull out the chairs and beer
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #29

I agree having a surge protector is the way to go likes others have commented on. If you can get it hardwired then thats a added bonus. Don't have to worry about someone walking off with it and its one less thing to hook up as its always hooked up inside the trailer.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
A surge protector is needed anytime the camper has power applied to it.
That type protector is only needed when low voltage would be a problem for powered on motorized appliances. If motorized appliances are not on, then low voltage is not a problem. Then this type protector need not protect anything.

Because it is called a surge protector means it also protects from a completely different type of surge (ie lightning)? Only if it makes a low impedance connection to earth and its specification numbers claim to protect from that completely different anomaly.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcook View Post
Bringing home a brand new Sandpiper 376BHOK and the dealer told me I should buy a surge protector as I plan on keeping it hooked up at a campground full time. I've never heard of anyone having issues - but I am interested in protecting my investment. Your thoughts? Recommendations on type-how do you keep it dry and safe from being stolen? Thanks much - appreciate the wisdom of those that have been there - done that!!
Second trip out in 2011 with our 2 week old 27RKSS Salem the campground blew out 11 convertors in one loop and blamed the power company for the CG's mess underground.
shot the end of my first season all to heck.

For 200$ to 400$ I would have been safe depending on what we would have purchased.
People that say you don't need one because they never had a problem have already had problems but they just don't know it - YET!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #32
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes, Yes, Yes,, for the 300.00 investment, its well worth the insurance. My friend took a low voltage hit on their new camper, this took out the Convection/Microwave oven, the residential refrigerator, fireplace, 2 TV sets and the surround sound system, over 4000.00 to replace all the stuff, and it was not covered under warranty.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #33

THIS IS THE COST OF LISTENING TO THOSE WHO SAY
"YOU DON'T NEED A PROTECTOR."

then again they are most likely the same people who have 6 to 8 kids running around their house wondering why

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	87490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter2.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	87491  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #34

Ok Ok I am convinced too. Even though we boondock 75% of the time we are going to get one. I assume Wally World, or any RV supplier will have one?

I am now wondering if I should plug into my genny plug too? Low voltage or surge could happen right? I do not have a transfer switch. When I run off the Genny I plug my 30A chord into a receptacle inside my electrical compartment. I could put the portable SP in between

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Ok Ok I am convinced too. Even though we boondock 75% of the time we are going to get one. I assume Wally World, or any RV supplier will have one?

I am now wondering if I should plug into my genny plug too? Low voltage or surge could happen right? I do not have a transfer switch. When I run off the Genny I plug my 30A chord into a receptacle inside my electrical compartment. I could put the portable SP in between
You can order direct from Progressive Industries or from Amazon (I'd go Amazon if you are a Prime member...just say'n )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Best converter has the best price normally

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #37

staff at progressive were easily reached for questions and yes as Bamabob says you can purchase directly from them. the first one i orderd the president took my call. but that being said - shop around EMS 30 amp hard wired or portable.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #38

there was a mod on a site that used 1 male and 1 female 30 amp connector between the power incoming line and the protector and then 1 male and 1 female 30 amp exiting from the protector to the fuse box.
made it easy to remove the unit if you sold it...

look at hard wiring it or buying a protable with the lock box as they tend to walk away.

Progressive industries has a lifetime warranty on thiers. CW had them on sale recently for 219$ while Amazon .ca had the same unit on for 419 (even withthe gazillion dollar exchange now we purchased in the USA)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
THIS IS THE COST OF LISTENING TO THOSE WHO SAY "YOU DON'T NEED A PROTECTOR."
Low voltage did not create that damage. Only protectors located within feet of the earth ground (attached to the pole) can protect from that type of surge. And that assumes that damage was from a surge - not from a more common source of damage - manufacturing defects.

Many protectors for RVs protect from low voltage and not from surges such as lightning. Again, the word surge defines many completely different anomalies. No protector protects from them all.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
The unit constantly checks everything and kills the power when it senses a major problem. It continue to check things even though it has shut power off to the trailer and when the problem corrects itself turns the power back on. It stores the alarm code for you so when you check it, say you were out for the day, you can see what has happened so if it shuts power off you can tell it happened.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote